Journey to a new style...

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Talk' started by _Simon_, Feb 17, 2018.

1. _Simon_

_Simon_ Senior Master

Have never been drawn to the grappling arts to be honest... but I did definitely consider looking at Aikido and Daito Ryu just to try something different. I know I'm definitely attracted to the striking arts etc, but I do appreciate the suggestion. Trying different things is what this phase is all about :)

• Like Like x 1
  2. gpseymour

gpseymour MT Moderator Staff Member

• Supporting Member
    Probably just a difference in terminology. Escapes from mount - the bridge-and-roll (what I call it) and its ilk.

That seems unnecessary at this point for BJJ. Folks know the root of the art. I don't think NGA is any older (probably younger by a bit), but we don't give credit to Daito-ryu on individual techniques. When we give any history, we cite it as a primary source, but individual techniques aren't credited (some are more likely from Judo, another source art).

Why is that a problem? When people learn a system, to them, what they learned is of that system. I don't expect people to remember where their instructor got techniques. I don't actually care. It's interesting, but not actually useful in any meaningful way.

3. _Simon_

_Simon_ Senior Master

Well said :) and hehe ;)

4. gpseymour

• Supporting Member
    If you like striking arts, the focus on flow in Aikido might actually be frustrating. They'll move past so many opportunities to strike (or throw) on their way to a finish.

5. DaveB

DaveB Master Black Belt

2.5 pages about Simon trialing karate dojo but as soon as Hanzou shows up it's a grappling thread.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. _Simon_

_Simon_ Senior Master

Thanks DaveB, all replies are much appreciated :). Ah so you think that'd be right up my alley?

Yeah there aren't any traditional Shotokan or Goju etc really close by, all styles that are nearby and that I've trained in have been hybrids, BUT there is a Shotokan dojo on my list about 40 minutes drive away which I am definitely going to check out. Am trying to leave out distance as a factor (within reason) :)

7. _Simon_

_Simon_ Senior Master

Haha our advantage or possible detriment ;D

Yep very well said, and every time I check out a style and go through all the things which look good on paper why I 'should' like this one, it doesn't really connect to my feeling of it. An very educational process :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. DaveB

DaveB Master Black Belt

40 mins isnt ideal, but its not bad.

I live in London and everything ends up being on the opposite side of the city to wherever I am. Currently it's an hour from home to the dojo.

9. _Simon_

_Simon_ Senior Master

Ah right, see I also really love that flowing non-rigid aspect of things (and a direction I'm definitely moving into), which is why I'm really drawn to Sensei Rick Hotton's style of teaching. He's from Shotokan, but more a blend with his Aikido practice/principles, so aiki karate. Which strangely the very first style I trialled was aiki karate, I have a feeling I may be going back there :). I didn't get enough of a trial with it to be honest (only 3 classes, due to not wanting to pay the annual fee).

10. _Simon_

_Simon_ Senior Master

Hahaha! Well... to be honest I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner haha... I've actually been hangin out for @drop bear to chime in with his classic "Do MMA". XD

All feedback is welcome, but I understand how things can go quite off topic round these parts ;)

11. _Simon_

_Simon_ Senior Master

Ah that's comforting actually, it's really not that bad if I trained twice a week. So many hybrid styles around here... would be really nice to check out one of the traditional origin styles (so to speak!).

• Like Like x 1
  12. _Simon_

_Simon_ Senior Master

(Dubz post)

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
  13. Hanzou

Hanzou Grandmaster

Understood. Definitely give a grappling art a try when you get a chance. Be careful though, you might become one of us. ;)

14. Hanzou

Hanzou Grandmaster

You mean the Upa Escape?

Meh, it's just something we do. For example, we call the gyaku ude-garami the "Kimura" in honor of Masahiko Kimura who beat Helio Gracie. The Americana got its name because it was transmitted by an American Catch Wrestler traveling through Brazil.

What if the technique (or series of techniques) are done poorly, and its effectiveness is completely removed because of it? Do you still feel that it isn't a problem?

15. _Simon_

_Simon_ Senior Master

Haha cheers ;)

• Like Like x 1
  16. gpseymour

• Supporting Member
    I'd be interested in seeing someone's take on aiki-based striking. I have my own thoughts on it, but suspect my usage of "aiki" is not standard for Aikido.

• Like Like x 1
  17. gpseymour

• Supporting Member
    Yes, that's what I call a bridge-and-roll. I picked up the name from someone somewhere in BJJ.

That's a bit of homage, but not really the same (in the latter case, at least) as attribution.

That's a separate and unrelated issue. If the history is accurate, but the application is rubbish, that's not better.

• Like Like x 1
  18. dvcochran

dvcochran Senior Master

When I used to work out with old Shotokan friends we were always surprised at the similarities in Pinan 1 and 2 compared to our TKD which is very TSD influenced. Our #1 form starts with a down block and our #2 form starts with a high block/outside block combo. Is that similar to yours?

19. dvcochran

dvcochran Senior Master

Thank you. I was about to respond with the same reply. I am glad you beat me to it.

20. dvcochran

dvcochran Senior Master

The first comment has nothing to do with quality in the current era. Who's who and competition to be the "founder" for an art has nothing to do with the quality being taught today. Sure, if some of 90's and 2000's instructors are bad, well they are bad. But who or what standard do you use to measure them by? Same can be said about some instructors of ALL other styles who became such in the 90's and 2000's.
    I do not have a Hapkido background so I have little knowledge or concern about its founding's. But as a style and system it is hard to dispute it holds quality. I think it is one of the more complete styles out there.123