Joe Rogans Accomplishments and USTU/USTA events?

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If memory serves (I'd have to check back through the thread to be certain) he has claimed, at various times, to the the offspring of "world class" boxer, wrestler, and karateka.

Ooh a threesome! Oh you mean all the same person. I see. Does being the offspring of a world class martial artist confer some kind of special skills I might not be aware of?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If memory serves (I'd have to check back through the thread to be certain) he has claimed, at various times, to the the offspring of "world class" boxer, wrestler, and karateka.

So that's his mum what about his dad?

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
You're just making stuff up as you go along, aren't you?
You claim your father was 'one of the top karateka' in the world. And yet, he didn't train you. That's odd.
You've also claimed that he couldn't block a strike you threw. That's also odd.
You claim to be training under a very qualified instructor. And call his school a McDojo. That's also odd.
You claim to have better kicks than the black belts in your school, but don't post a video to prove it. That would be odd, if you actually believed your claim.

Come on. Be honest. You're just trolling, aren't you?

Gosh, how many incorrect statements can be made at once. My father was absent, instead dedicating his life to Karate. My mother did not intend on keeping me ( I wasn't planned). She changed her mind at the clinic. I don't care about either one of those things, but you asked.

I told my father that I would hit him and asked how he would block, and he showed one alternative. He was offended, since it's like asking a mathematican: what's 1+1? ( my analogy, not his) He says that at the level he's reached, it's not about techniques anymore, regardless if he's attacked. Specific technique application is robotic and for students ( paraphrasing ) he's above that...

Remember that Joe Rogans kickboxing record is 1-1. Think about that. Don't be accidentally shooting yourself in the foot, proclaiming him to be a great figher (in TKD), and then arguing that it translates to being a great fighter.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Remember that Joe Rogans kickboxing record is 1-1. Think about that. Don't be accidentally shooting yourself in the foot, proclaiming him to be a great figher (in TKD), and then arguing that it translates to being a great fighter.

I don't think anyone here is saying that. Straw man, anyone?

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
A win and a loss is hardly crushed. And anyway success post transfer would depend very much on training in between and the luck of the draw.

OP
D

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Gosh, how many incorrect statements can be made at once. My father was absent, instead dedicating his life to Karate. My mother did not intend on keeping me ( I wasn't planned). She changed her mind at the clinic. I don't care about either one of those things, but you asked.

I told my father that I would hit him and asked how he would block, and he showed one alternative. He was offended, since it's like asking a mathematican: what's 1+1? ( my analogy, not his) He says that at the level he's reached, it's not about techniques anymore, regardless if he's attacked. Specific technique application is robotic and for students ( paraphrasing ) he's above that...

The only person blowing smoke up Joe Rogan was you.....to the rest of us he was a normal black belt. He won a local associations tourney, he wasnt a National level competitior..

You still havent responded to all the examples I gave of highly successful TKD guys in the UFC,

Cung Le was undefeated in Kickboxing Fighting like a kukki TKD practitioner.

All the other guys i mentioned from tkd have held belts, blatantly fighting as tkd guys..

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
He was crushed when entering a kickboxing class. He ended up transitioning to kickboxing.

Maybe because his individual school hadn't worked the hand tchniques, maybe because his hand techs weren't up to much. Lot of variables there, and an isolated case is pretty meaningless.

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
The only person blowing smoke up Joe Rogan was you.....to the rest of us he was a normal black belt. He won a local associations tourney, he wasnt a National level competitior..

I don't know how long he was an active TKD fighter. Reports indicate, as I've shown, that he was a very promising figher. He is not a normal black belt by any means.

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
Maybe because his individual school hadn't worked the hand tchniques, maybe because his hand techs weren't up to much. Lot of variables there, and an isolated case is pretty meaningless.

Haha, yeah, his instructor GM Jae H Kim is probably a noob.

OP
D

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't know how long he was an active TKD fighter. Reports indicate, as I've shown, that he was a very promising figher. He is not a normal black belt by any means.

maybe in his own association he was promising

but as you said, he couldnt spar with kickboxers, which many other TKD BB's are able to do just fine

He also was not competing on the national level or state level with the Ustu/usat.

I wouldnt consider him some TKD prodigy by any stretch of the imagination.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Nothing that you have shown illustrates anything beyond what I would consider normal dan grade ability for KKW TKD. Then again, I have sought out good role models.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Haha, yeah, his instructor GM Jae H Kim is probably a noob.

Not what I meant and rather disrespectful. Some schools focus on sport sparring, especially in dedicated athletic programs. A athlete in such a school would not waste time developing hand techniques that aren't allowed in the sport they want to compete in.

Flip side of that is that some individuals prefer to focus exclusively on kicking even where hand techs and other stuff is taught.

OP
D

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Not what I meant and rather disrespectful. Some schools focus on sport sparring, especially in dedicated athletic programs. A athlete in such a school would not waste time developing hand techniques that aren't allowed in the sport they want to compete in.

Flip side of that is that some individuals prefer to focus exclusively on kicking even where hand techs and other stuff is taught.

Plus, many of us adapt to our opponents.

Im by far a kicker in my training hall but when sparring my MMA/Boxing friends, I throw considerably more pucnhes and am more mindful of combinations and kicks.

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score

I was being sarcastic and countering your argument..... Rogans school was not sport oriented. Scroll to the first pages for evidence of this from a former student.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Thats just innacurate..

In UFC, the top strikers tend to come from tkd or Karate......
just to name a few here,

Spider Silva TKD
Ben Henderson TKD
Anthony Pettis TKD
Cung le (retired) TKD
Machida Karate
GSP Karate
Lidell American Karate
Bas Rutten Both i believe
Chan Sung Jung TKD

All very regularly and blatantly fought similar to their respective styles. Ben and Lidell moved away the most and its still very prominent.

The only change any TKD guys have to make is more of a squared stance and a higher guard, assuming they dont already.
Whoa, whoa, whoa! Hold the phone. I don't think this is true. Anderson Silva is an accomplished striker in MT, Western Boxing and pretty much anything else he wants. Machida is a karate guy who cross trains liberally, but you can see the base. The rest, including GSP, may have trained in a style, but cross trained to such a degree that you can't attribute any one style to their success. There are some top tier strikers from many arts in the UFC. Saying that "the top strikers tend to come from TKD or Karate" just isn't true. Some may come from those styles, but there are many, many more top tier western boxers and muay thai fighters in the UFC than there are Karate or TKD. Shoot, Cung Le was a Sanshou guy... kung fu. Pettis has been boxing as long as he's been training TKD and has also trained as a kickboxer.

This is in no way an idictment against either of those arts. It's just about what is and isn't. We have seen enough talented strikers from TKD and karate to establish that if a guy wants to train for MMA and puts in the time, they can be just as successful as anyone else. But the most common formulas for high level success in MMA are some combination of boxing, Muay Thai, BJJ, and wrestling.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even my own father has bashed Taekwon-do, and he was once among the very best in a Karate style. I hit him and asked him to block (if our blocks were so inferior) which offended him greatly.

I told my father that I would hit him and asked how he would block, and he showed one alternative. He was offended, since it's like asking a mathematican: what's 1+1? ( my analogy, not his)

These two statements certainly paint completely different pictures of what you claim happened. Which is correct?

"But I am the son of a karateka prodigy, who was once in the top 3."

And this prodigy whose progeny you are would be?

" I have relatives in both Boxing and Karate at world class levels. I am the son of one of them."

And these amazing people are?

I do seem to have misremembered; I do not find (in a cursory check) a reference to a wrestler.

I think I'm probably not the only one who has noticed that when you claimed to kick better than the black belts in your school, while refusing to post a video of yourself kicking so we can see if there's any truth to the claim.

You make a lot of grandiose claims. It would be nice to see you provide some support for them. Even one of them would be a nice start.

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
We have seen enough talented strikers from TKD and karate to establish that if a guy wants to train for MMA and puts in the time, they can be just as successful as anyone else. But the most common formulas for high level success in MMA are some combination of boxing, Muay Thai, BJJ, and wrestling.

It's the training format, not the arts fault. TKD is a classic martial arts system with crisp techniques.

TKD is burdened with counterproductive rule sets for developing fighters.

Latest Discussions