Joe Rogans Accomplishments and USTU/USTA events?

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree, I am only offering this critical view as that video was being held up as some kind of particularly great example, which I don't think it is, whichever discipline is being trained for. There's nothing exceptional there, was my point, and that Laplace wasn't seeing it that way.

The guy is talented. You can get away with aloth in TKD competitions, so Rogan might still be a terrible K1 fighter. But think of having such a weapon...

Last edited:

Orange Lightning

Purple Belt
Reaction score

Large amount of exageration here. There are literaly hundred, if not thousands of active teachers in the world who in all likelyhood spent more classroom time with General Choi than JH Kim.

This hits a nerve with me. Certainly "Handful" is a metaphor because you can't hold any people in your hand. I just hate it when instructors claim to have been taught by General Choi for marketing purposes yet would not see him during the last decades of his life, and in reality the instruction they received from him was nominal compared to thousands who trained under him during instructor courses throughout the world in thelate 1980's throught 2002.

So you are validating my comment? "Large exageration".

No technical issues. "Handful denotes a small number"

handful - definition of handful by The Free Dictionary

I'm sort of validating your comment. Kind of.
xD I know what handful means. :p
"Small" is a subjective word. It only has meaning compared to the norm. There are some 7 billion people in the world. There are a lot of martial artists, and a lot of teachers. The point was that, to the source, "a handful" could really be a handful compared to the tens of thousands who have trained with or near other famous people.
They could not know at all how many people actually trained with General Choi, or how many are alive today, but still not be technically wrong by saying "a few". As long as the amount of people that trained with him was comparatively low to other examples (hypothetically, I don't know the real numbers - people or trained with Bruce Lee or Mas Oyama, or how many TKDers they're are compared to the amount that have trained with General Choi.), he could always call it a "small" amount of people and not be wrong.

In all likelihood, yeah, it's just shameless marketing. Or they could just be uninformed, or even right, but accidentally misleading with their phrasing.

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm sort of validating your comment. Kind of.
xD I know what handful means. :p
"Small" is a subjective word. It only has meaning compared to the norm. There are some 7 billion people in the world. There are a lot of martial artists, and a lot of teachers. The point was that, to the source, "a handful" could really be a handful compared to the tens of thousands who have trained with or near other famous people.
They could not know at all how many people actually trained with General Choi, or how many are alive today, but still not be technically wrong by saying "a few". As long as the amount of people that trained with him was comparatively low to other examples (hypothetically, I don't know the real numbers - people or trained with Bruce Lee or Mas Oyama, or how many TKDers they're are compared to the amount that have trained with General Choi.), he could always call it a "small" amount of people and not be wrong.

In all likelihood, yeah, it's just shameless marketing. Or they could just be uninformed, or even right, but accidentally misleading with their phrasing.

GM Kim received personal instruction. That would make him a student of General Choi, and one of very few. Choi lecturing groups of instructors is not equivalent.

Last edited:

Orange Lightning

Purple Belt
Reaction score
GM Kim received personal instruction. That would make him a student of General Choi, and one of very few. Choi lecturing groups of instructors is not equivalent.

I'm not disagreeing with you dude. I didn't even take a side on the matter. I was only commenting on the phrasing of the source you posted.

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
What does that mean? You think TKD competitions are easy?

Compared to K1 and kickboxing, yes. Not even comparable. Aloth of TKD guys, even in ITF, can rely on their kicks and good footwork to do the job. In a kickboxing or K1 arena, their weaknesses will get exposed.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Compared to K1 and kickboxing, yes. Not even comparable. Aloth of TKD guys, even in ITF, can rely on their kicks and good footwork to do the job. In a kickboxing or K1 arena, their weaknesses will get exposed.

Well, no, not really. I think you need to stop generalising and tarring everyone with the same brush...unless of course you have seen every single TKDist fight and train? And of course seen every kick boxer going. It gets tiresome when you constantly disrespect people from TKD based on very little evidence. You don't have to style bash.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The guy is talented. You can get away with aloth in TKD competitions

No, you really can't, if your opponent is any good. His oppo came forward with nothing and walked into what is a pretty standard response against someone who comes forward with nothing.

, so Rogan might still be a terrible K1 fighter.

Premise is flawed so that does not follow.

But think of having such a weapon...

I do have such a weapon. Most 2nd or 3rd dans have such a weapon, but I am particularly known for my back kick. It's sort of my trademark kick, the one that people are worried about...because it doesn't telegraph.

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, no, not really. I think you need to stop generalising and tarring everyone with the same brush...unless of course you have seen every single TKDist fight and train? And of course seen every kick boxer going. It gets tiresome when you constantly disrespect people from TKD based on very little evidence. You don't have to style bash.

Or you accept the empirical fact that even highly skilled TKD guys stay with TKD competitions for a reason more often than not. And the current top of striking being dominated by MT fighters. It would be a radical adjustment for the TKD guy, a minor leap for the MT fighter.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or you accept the empirical fact that even highly skilled TKD guys stay with TKD competitions for a reason more often than not. And the current top of strikers being dominated by MT fighters. It would be a radical adjustment for the TKD guy, a minor leap for the MT fighter.

Please cite that evidence.

Also who are you considering 'the top of strikers'? In what competition?

Why would it be a radical adjustment for TKDists?

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
I do have such a weapon. Most 2nd or 3rd dans have such a weapon, but I am particularly known for my back kick. It's sort of my trademark kick, the one that people are worried about...because it doesn't telegraph.

Mike Tyson telegraphed heavily, yet was fast enough to knock them out could. You can't judge a practioner based on one factor alone.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Why don't you try sparring contact ITF or WTF style and see which of your weaknesses get exposed?

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
Please cite that evidence.

I don't need to cite the lack of succesful TKD fighters in K1.

Why would it be a radical adjustment for TKDists?

Because our rules are different, there's more padding, and the MT and Kickboxers are trained to take hits at full contact constantly, more parts of the body as well. TKD guys are not. This is fairly trivial.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sooooo who is going to tell this TKD guy that he can't kick box for peanuts?

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
Why don't you try sparring contact ITF or WTF style and see which of your weaknesses get exposed?

How do you know I haven't? I am stronger at sparring than patterns. I don't have plans to compete, though.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Mike Tyson telegraphed heavily, yet was fast enough to knock them out could. You can't judge a practioner based on one factor alone.

No, you can't, but when a kick is heavy and slow enough to see coming, with accompanying hand and body movement 'tells' way in advance of the actual kicking motion, then it is poor form from a TKD perspective. That is my point here - that Joe is not a great example.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't need to cite the lack of succesful TKD fighters in K1.

Because our rules are different, there's more padding, and the MT and Kickboxers are trained to take hits at full contact constantly, more parts of the body as well. TKD guys are not. This is fairly trivial.

You don't have to of course but if you don't it just looks like you are making it up which of course you aren't...much.

Oh padding of course, why didn't I think of that.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
How do you know I haven't? I am stronger at sparring than patterns. I don't have plans to compete, though.

You said you didn't want to box or kickbox because it was full contact. And frankly, even if you have sparred contact at yellow belt, that ain't much of an experience of what it's really about.

OP
D

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Or you accept the empirical fact that even highly skilled TKD guys stay with TKD competitions for a reason more often than not. And the current top of strikers being dominated by MT fighters. It would be a radical adjustment for the TKD guy, a minor leap for the MT fighter.

Thats just innacurate..

In UFC, the top strikers tend to come from tkd or Karate......
just to name a few here,

Spider Silva TKD
Ben Henderson TKD
Anthony Pettis TKD
Cung le (retired) TKD
Machida Karate
GSP Karate
Lidell American Karate
Bas Rutten Both i believe
Chan Sung Jung TKD

All very regularly and blatantly fought similar to their respective styles. Ben and Lidell moved away the most and its still very prominent.

The only change any TKD guys have to make is more of a squared stance and a higher guard, assuming they dont already.