JKD effectiveness?

OldManJim

Orange Belt
Reaction score
So I have another post asking about bjj at different schools. One of the schools has JKD as part of the curriculum. It’s directly from Dan Inosanto so I guess it’d fall under Concepts? Ron Balicki will be visiting in November at this school. My question is, is JKD (in this particular branch I guess you’d say) effective for self defense? What are it’s pros and cons?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So I have another post asking about bjj at different schools. One of the schools has JKD as part of the curriculum. It’s directly from Dan Inosanto so I guess it’d fall under Concepts? Ron Balicki will be visiting in November at this school. My question is, is JKD (in this particular branch I guess you’d say) effective for self defense? What are it’s pros and cons?
your in danger of being like a few other posters and spend so long wondering which art is best , you forget to study an art, jkd is undsibtably better at self defenc e than what your doing now, how effective that is in reality depends more on you than the art you studif your really really concerned with self defence, get your self hyper fit and do an art with full contact sparing, , anything else is less

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The full contact or pressure testing is a no brainer, the concept of JKD is to build an effective system that suits you, be it wing chun and BJJ or western boxing and judo, if you are missing the point, perhaps you do not fully understand yourself. Yes it's great to be fit jobo, but as the founder of the concept said, take what's useful, and disgard the rest.

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Oh and old man Jim, best start reading up on Systema, because Guru Dan has been training it for approx 2 years.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The full contact or pressure testing is a no brainer, the concept of JKD is to build an effective system that suits you, be it wing chun and BJJ or western boxing and judo, if you are missing the point, perhaps you do not fully understand yourself. Yes it's great to be fit jobo, but as the founder of the concept said, take what's useful, and disgard the rest.
the founder of the concept appeared to be incredibly fit, so perhaps fitness wasn't one of the things he thought could be left

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree he was extremely fit, and was an advecote of your skill improves as your fitness does, and your fitness improves as your skill does, but his approach did not put physical attributes over abilities, in fact some of his biggest pointers where the water principle, keep moving, be relaxed and natural, try to hide your intensions within your movements.

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Just a quick point, Frank Bruno, I hear you chuckling, but 45 fights, 40 wins 38 of those by knock out, his 5 loses were, 2 to mike Tyson (1 in mikes prime and one to regain the title after the buster Douglas loss) 1 to Lennox lewis, and 1 to Tim Witherspoon, 1 to an up and coming James Bone crusher Smith, experts now say, Tyson was a better fighter, but the others they now say, Frank was so fit, even his muscles had muscles, his punch was like getting hit by a motorbike at 30 mph, but because he was so fit, come the later rounds, he could not take in enough oxygen to fuel his muscles. There does come a point when being fit and your skill level, are no longer compatible.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

JKD is really good in my opinion. Always worked well against me, that's for sure.

But in the other thread you said you were only interested in BJJ, so both might overwhelm you, or at least take up too much of your time.

But maybe that's because you be old.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just a quick point, Frank Bruno, I hear you chuckling, but 45 fights, 40 wins 38 of those by knock out, his 5 loses were, 2 to mike Tyson (1 in mikes prime and one to regain the title after the buster Douglas loss) 1 to Lennox lewis, and 1 to Tim Witherspoon, 1 to an up and coming James Bone crusher Smith, experts now say, Tyson was a better fighter, but the others they now say, Frank was so fit, even his muscles had muscles, his punch was like getting hit by a motorbike at 30 mph, but because he was so fit, come the later rounds, he could not take in enough oxygen to fuel his muscles. There does come a point when being fit and your skill level, are no longer compatible.
What you're describing isn't being too fit, it's having too much muscle.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree he was extremely fit, and was an advecote of your skill improves as your fitness does, and your fitness improves as your skill does, but his approach did not put physical attributes over abilities, in fact some of his biggest pointers where the water principle, keep moving, be relaxed and natural, try to hide your intensions within your movements.
And based on how I've heard bruce lee split his time training MA & fitness, I would be shocked to find out that he didn't consider them equally important. Also, i dont see how those quotes relate to fitness vs non-fitness.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Through becoming obsessed with fitness
Nah, becoming obsessed with musclebuilding. If he was obsessed with fitness, he'd portion his time better between musclebuilding and cardio, and be able to last all his rounds.

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The man used to run a marathon twice a week, yes he raised a lot of money for charity, but his obsession led him to being sectioned under the mental health act, he lost his family, his respect from most, and his sanity, thankfully he is recovering now.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I saw most of big franks fights, and all other things being equal he wasn't very good, he was carefully managed to fight " bums" he was just to big for and some of them gave him a good run for his money, before h eventually knocked them out I remember him being booed of a good few times. when he did fight anyone of merit he lost, I remember fighting a very curvy Tim Witherspoon and losing heavily, if someone that fat can beat you, your problem is having to much muscle, its that your *** it didn't even get to the later rounds

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The man used to run a marathon twice a week, yes he raised a lot of money for charity, but his obsession led him to being sectioned under the mental health act, he lost his family, his respect from most, and his sanity, thankfully he is recovering now.
Thats interesting. Id revise my other statement and say that he probably was obsessed with fitness too much-but the issue you pointed out still wasnt an issue so much with fitness, as that he spent too much time on musclebuilding. My reason for saying this is that i believe at some point muscle does become counterproductive, but i dont believe thats the case for cardio.

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Tyson, bone crusher Smith and Lewis bums, hmmmm

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thats interesting. Id revise my other statement and say that he probably was obsessed with fitness too much-but the issue you pointed out still wasnt an issue so much with fitness, as that he spent too much time on musclebuilding. My reason for saying this is that i believe at some point muscle does become counterproductive, but i dont believe thats the case for cardio.
I take your point, but there has to be a balance, that fits with each individual.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Tyson, bone crusher Smith and Lewis bums, hmmmm
no there the ones he lost to, the bums were the ones he beat

he was completely out boxed by a 37 to Joe bugner, who was about half his size, before landing a lucky punch