Jeff Speakman speaks...and speaks....and speaks...

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wow!

Mr. Speakman managed to insult just about every senior (directly or by inference) in one interview. Pretty amazing.

Brian Jones

Jeff has always made no bones about the fact he believes he should be the one to "lead" kenpo, but then he's not the only one either. :)

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jeff has been a black belt since 1980, not all Kenpo, but a BB for 27 years. 8 years passed between 6th and 7th degree, that sounds reasonable. Jeff clearly states why directly and indirectly why he is not affilated with the 10th degrees. There should be no question as to why they were not involved in his 7th degree test, in his own organization. And I think those that should know this the best are the ones who signed his 6th degree BB 8 years earlier.

American martial arts are taking a lot of heat from around the world and the posts here are good example of why. It reminds me of someone I would like to consider my friend, Professor Joe, a 7th degree from the old school, being harassed on the internet by green belts. It's rediculus.

Have a good my MA brothers and sisters,
James Kovacich

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
Jeff has always made no bones about the fact he believes he should be the one to "lead" kenpo, but then he's not the only one either. :)
In that video he said the opposite, that he was not the one.
Take care my friend,
James

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
In that video he said the opposite, that he was not the one.
Take care my friend,
James
You mean the video where he said he doesn't make money in Kenpo because he makes movies? You aren't suggesting because someone says something in a video, it's automatically true are you? There are some factual errors in your other posts as well. Look I know the guy, he was a student of mine, and I've sat on and been envolved in 2 of his promotion tests. I'm not bashing, only commenting. There is much I could say, but it isn't necessary. I've been fair, and honest.

Kenpo is not the church or law enforcement, it is a business. People want information to help them decide whom they'd like to be affiliated with and give their money to. I've been balanced in my answers, and some of the things I've said could apply to more of the so-called seniors. Ignoring things doesn't help kenpo, but hurts it in the long run. I didn't say he was evil, and most picked up things said in the video. I'm told he got roasted on KenpoNet. Figures. :)

Brian Jones

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have to agree with Doc here. I only met Mr. Speakman twice. I liked him. He can be very personable, and he did a nice job with his seminars. But he does talk out of both sides of his mouth on the video. He says "I am not the one", then he says (again by inference) "But let's be honest we all know I am the one." I also thought it odd that he was upse that when he didn't offer to pay for travel, food, lodging etc. for any seniors to come to his camp, they didn't come. He seemed to take this as a sign of non-support. Like Doc said, it's a business. It probably had little to do with support as it did with simple finances. Or did I misunderstand what Mr. Speakman was saying?

Brian Jones

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It's not a business for me. True I do own a commercial type school but I don't live off of it. Due to zoning restrictions I cannot run a dojo out of my house. For me it is enjoyment.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's not a business for me. True I do own a commercial type school but I don't live off of it. Due to zoning restrictions I cannot run a dojo out of my house. For me it is enjoyment.

LawDog you are of course the perfect kind of martial arts teacher! One who is right up front and also one who does not rely solely on his Training Hall for all income.
icon14.gif
Truthfully I am sure Doc slightly just miss wrote what he meant but I wanted some clarification.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
LawDog you are of course the perfect kind of martial arts teacher! One who is right up front and also one who does not rely solely on his Training Hall for all income.
icon14.gif
Truthfully I am sure Doc slightly just miss wrote what he meant but I wanted some clarification.
This is what Doc wrote:
Kenpo is not the church or law enforcement, it is a business. People want information to help them decide whom they'd like to be affiliated with and give their money to. I've been balanced in my answers, and some of the things I've said could apply to more of the so-called seniors. Ignoring things doesn't help kenpo, but hurts it in the long run.

This is how I read it:

Kenpo isn't a calling; what he was trying to provide is some fair analysis, based on his unique experience and knowledge, to help people assess Speakman's comments for themselves. Kenpo associations (and all martial arts associations) aren't the art; their businesses set up in part to facilitate training and leadership. All I see Doc as doing was a little Better Business Bureau or Consumer Reports-type analysis... Make your own choices about who to follow.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is what Doc wrote:

This is how I read it:

Kenpo isn't a calling; what he was trying to provide is some fair analysis, based on his unique experience and knowledge, to help people assess Speakman's comments for themselves. Kenpo associations (and all martial arts associations) aren't the art; their businesses set up in part to facilitate training and leadership. All I see Doc as doing was a little Better Business Bureau or Consumer Reports-type analysis... Make your own choices about who to follow.

I am sure that it is something along those lines but I do want to hear what Doc has to say.
icon6.gif

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ok I took Kenpo for a year or so and what I saw it was a business for the instructor, it is not a calling for those that take it and for those that teach it it maybe a way of life but still a means of making money and believe me Kempo/Kenpo makes a ton around here and yes so does TKD for that matter. I woud think that we all as MA'ers can and should work together but that is my fantasy.

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
You mean the video where he said he doesn't make money in Kenpo because he makes movies? You aren't suggesting because someone says something in a video, it's automatically true are you? There are some factual errors in your other posts as well. Look I know the guy, he was a student of mine, and I've sat on and been envolved in 2 of his promotion tests. I'm not bashing, only commenting. There is much I could say, but it isn't necessary. I've been fair, and honest.

Kenpo is not the church or law enforcement, it is a business. People want information to help them decide whom they'd like to be affiliated with and give their money to. I've been balanced in my answers, and some of the things I've said could apply to more of the so-called seniors. Ignoring things doesn't help kenpo, but hurts it in the long run. I didn't say he was evil, and most picked up things said in the video. I'm told he got roasted on KenpoNet. Figures. :)
I really do want to know what was factually wrong with my post.

Assuming that Speakman did not lie or stretch the truth. If he promoted to 7th dan in 2004, he should be promoting to 8th dan in 2 more years according to his standards. Is their a problem with him getting close to 8th dan?

In 2004 before his camp and promotion, Jeff taught and spoke at a seminar I was and at he spoke about why he was forming his testing board. Tom Kelley was present and he introduced him to us. Tom Kelley is also under Hanshi Angel. Why would that be? He is still Kenpo affiliated but there is no denying where he has aligned himself.

Is it true what Speakman said in the video that Tom Kelley was one of the higher Parker black belts, higher than some of the 10th's (I got that from when he was talking about the highest levels of the Parker black belts) ?

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is what Doc wrote:

This is how I read it:

Exactly.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score

Its not a business for me either, but that's besides the point. Take a look at the plethora of "ads" on the net. These schools are "selling" and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. But when you're in business, it's not to lose money, and when business is your primary focus many compromises must be made. Given a choice between paying the bills and eating, most tend to lean toward eating. many of these schools still do a decent job, but it is still a business. Running a commercial school doesn't automatically equate with being bad, but it does have to impose business realities. Mr. Speakman is in business AND that is not a bad thing. It is what it is.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Allow me to chime in here a bit...

Assuming that Speakman did not lie or stretch the truth. If he promoted to 7th Dan in 2004, he should be promoting to 8th Dan in 2 more years according to his standards. Is their a problem with him getting close to 8th Dan?

Since Jeff is the founder of his own Association, he can make any rule that he wants to, thus there is no problem.

Since he does not claim any "KENPO" Instructor (that I know of) he is free to do as he pleases.

He mentions Bob White and Steve LaBounty, which are advisers, however.. Mr. LaBounty is an adviser to at least a half dozen organizations other than Jeff's!!

As a long time personal student of SGM Ed Parker's, we had discussed many different guidelines as to Promotions..... Lower thru Black Belt. Ed Parker did not follow any one plan. Promotions take in many, many different considerations depending upon the individual. So for someone to say ...... "This is how Ed Parker did it" is not exactly fact. If you examine many of those that he promoted..... some take many years to go between different Black Belt Ranks others take only a couple depending up personal circumstances. I do know that although time is a factor..... it was not top of the list!

In 2004 before his camp and promotion, Jeff taught and spoke at a seminar I was and at he spoke about why he was forming his testing board. Tom Kelley was present and he introduced him to us. Tom Kelley is also under Hanshi Angel. Why would that be? He is still Kenpo affiliated but there is no denying where he has aligned himself.

Look, Tom Kelly (whom I also have a long time close relationship with) is first, last, and always Ed Parker Kenpo! With that being said, he isn't hung up about learning other martial arts as well..... many do that. He is not LEAVING AK just exploring other avenues and giving the Founder his due.

Is it true what Speakman said in the video that Tom Kelley was one of the higher Parker black belts, higher than some of the 10th's (I got that from when he was talking about the highest levels of the Parker black belts) ?

Absolutely, he was a student of Steve LaBounty's originally! A true knowledgeable kenpoist to say the least.

:asian:

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Allow me to chime in here a bit...

Since Jeff is the founder of his own Association, he can make any rule that he wants to, thus there is no problem.

Since he does not claim any "KENPO" Instructor (that I know of) he is free to do as he pleases.

He mentions Bob White and Steve LaBounty, which are advisers, however.. Mr. LaBounty is an adviser to at least a half dozen organizations other than Jeff's!!

As a long time personal student of SGM Ed Parker's, we had discussed many different guidelines as to Promotions..... Lower thru Black Belt. Ed Parker did not follow any one plan. Promotions take in many, many different considerations depending upon the individual. So for someone to say ...... "This is how Ed Parker did it" is not exactly fact. If you examine many of those that he promoted..... some take many years to go between different Black Belt Ranks others take only a couple depending up personal circumstances. I do know that although time is a factor..... it was not top of the list!

Look, Tom Kelly (whom I also have a long time close relationship with) is first, last, and always Ed Parker Kenpo! With that being said, he isn't hung up about learning other martial arts as well..... many do that. He is not LEAVING AK just exploring other avenues and giving the Founder his due.

Absolutely, he was a student of Steve LaBounty's originally! A true knowledgeable kenpoist to say the least.

:asian:
Oh, oh, you done woke up the dragon.

RevIV

Black Belt
Reaction score
Just a side note of humor, the entire time that Mr. Speakman was talking i thought he was saying, Steve LaVallee, which was throwing me off the entire time. sorry, just wanted to ad something.
Jesse

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
I really do want to know what was factually wrong with my post.

Assuming that Speakman did not lie or stretch the truth.

Never argue a point when your source of information must be qualified by such a statement.

Latest Discussions