Jeff Speakman speaks...and speaks....and speaks...

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
ABSOLUTELY CORRECT!

Mr. Wedlake was gracious enough to seek the advice of those he considered to be the Senior Students of Ed Parker and his seniors in the art. When the discussion arose regarding his promotion, I gladly gave my approval. Mr. Wedlake is a class act, knowledgeable student of the arts, and has always been one of the sharpest guys around.

Thanks.

And I totally agree! :)

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks.

And I totally agree! :)

As I am working with Prof. Wedlake and getting to know him, I am very impressed with him as a martial artist and as a person.
For any who have not actually met him and would like to form a qualified opinion, come see him at our place in September! :)

Seabrook

Black Belt
Reaction score
While I agree that time experience is an essential element, it is not the only element. Parker had no hard guidleines, but often made suggestions, and then violated them himself.

Mr. Parker actually began to rectify that problem with a more realistic guideline based on the collegiate model of "academic unit hours." That is, actual hours on the floor and/or in the classroom. I've refined his suggestion even more, by defining the hours as "teaching," "student," and "auditing." Students have a minimum number of hours for each course (belt), with no more than 20% auditing (to allow for illness, injury, or fatigue). This separate pure "classroom (auditing) hours," from "lab (physical participation) hours. "Teaching hours may be supplimented by student hours, but only under the tutleage of the Senior Professor.

Great post Doc.

I couldn't agree more!

seninoniwashi

Green Belt
Reaction score
My favorite line; "I don't make money from Kenpo. I make movies." The ONLY movie he ever mentions is "Perfect Weapon" which was released in 1991. Wasn't that over a decade and a half ago? :)

I did a search and found 20 some movies he's been in - even one from last year "Striking Range." Also I guess he played a small part in "Lionheart," lol

I had no idea he starred in anything outside of "Perfect Weapon." Just out of curiosity I'm going to go through them and check them out. Anyone else interested can find them:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0817275/maindetails

seninoniwashi

Green Belt
Reaction score
Mr. Jeff Speakman addresses a crowd of BB's in Santiago de Chile and presses a lot of hot buttons when he does it.

Please, keep the discussion civil.

My response to the videos... I'm not sure what to say. My time in Kenpo karate was limited to just the schools I've been in and the few seminars I could afford at the time. I've got ALOT of research to do ...

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
I did a search and found 20 some movies he's been in - even one from last year "Striking Range." Also I guess he played a small part in "Lionheart," lol

I had no idea he starred in anything outside of "Perfect Weapon." Just out of curiosity I'm going to go through them and check them out. Anyone else interested can find them:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0817275/maindetails

He only mentions the Perfect Weapon because it was the only one that had a wide general release to theaters and he was the "star." Although I'm sure he made a ton of money off the others, (sure) he probably doesn't remember them either. (Especially the ones he made as cameos with unknown rappers and not the "star".)

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
(Especially the ones he made as cameos with unknown rappers and not the "star".)

I rented HOT BOYZ one night and was really pissed off about the whole thing. Not only was there bascially NO kenpo in it, the one scene he was in was pretty disparaging to martial arts or kenpo as a whole.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
I rented HOT BOYZ one night and was really pissed off about the whole thing. Not only was there bascially NO kenpo in it, the one scene he was in was pretty disparaging to martial arts or kenpo as a whole.

Yes, but he was in it briefly, and I'm sure he was paid, so technically he makes his money in ... movies.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"The Perfect Weapon" was good show; however, it think it will be the last big thing he does. He just doesn't have the Star quality to be the next big Action Star. Its good to see kenpo in the movies though.
sean

eyebeams

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Yes, but he was in it briefly, and I'm sure he was paid, so technically he makes his money in ... movies.

This reminds me of a woman I know who makes money from figure skating. She never made it to the Olympics though, so I'll go and imply she's a fraud.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
"The Perfect Weapon" was good show; however, it think it will be the last big thing he does. He just doesn't have the Star quality to be the next big Action Star. Its good to see kenpo in the movies though.
sean

Well considering the Perfect Weapon was made 18 years ago ..... I'd have to agree.

SL4Drew

Green Belt
Reaction score
This reminds me of a woman I know who makes money from figure skating. She never made it to the Olympics though, so I'll go and imply she's a fraud.

Talk about a bad analogy. How an amateur competing in an international event is comparable to making direct-to-DVD movies, I can't figure.

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Talk about a bad analogy. How an amateur competing in an international event is comparable to making direct-to-DVD movies, I can't figure.

Well, it is rather simple...not making it to the Olympics does not mean that one is not able to make money figure skating, it just means that they are not one of the top 100 in the world.

The fact that Jeff does not appear on the big screen does not mean that he does not make his living making movies.

Heck, I was in a movie once. Made $80. The fact that you haven't heard of me doesn't mean I didn't do it. It just means the movie sucked.

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, it is rather simple...not making it to the Olympics does not mean that one is not able to make money figure skating, it just means that they are not one of the top 100 in the world.

The fact that Jeff does not appear on the big screen does not mean that he does not make his living making movies.

Heck, I was in a movie once. Made $80. The fact that you haven't heard of me doesn't mean I didn't do it. It just means the movie sucked.

Could also mean you were hired as a one-day "extra." :)

R. McLain

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score

I was in the "Karate Kid." Made more money working location site security than as an extra in the movie. But, I was in it so technically, I made money in movies, and I'm an actor. "Frankly Scarlett ..... " :)

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was in the "Karate Kid." Made more money working location site security than as an extra in the movie. But, I was in it so technically, I made money in movies, and I'm an actor. "Frankly Scarlett ..... " :)

Me too:). I was in "The Dragon". Funny story. Edmund Jr. called a bunch of us and said that all the extras for the IKC scene had white gi's, and the director wanted some more variety. So a bunch of us Kajukenbo guys brought our black gi's with us to be extras.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Me too:). I was in "The Dragon". Funny story. Edmund Jr. called a bunch of us and said that all the extras for the IKC scene had white gi's, and the director wanted some more variety. So a bunch of us Kajukenbo guys brought our black gi's with us to be extras.

Oh yeah, I remember that. Had to work those days. Seems we've all made money in "movies." :)

Latest Discussions