Jeff Speakman speaks...and speaks....and speaks...

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mr. Jeff Speakman addresses a crowd of BB's in Santiago de Chile and presses a lot of hot buttons when he does it.

[yt]YtnvU9JEIKM[/yt]

[yt]tIQjcIUy3c8[/yt]

[yt]bR1XEBSUD30[/yt]

[yt]k6yKCUZb_7o[/yt]

Please, keep the discussion civil.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
icon7.gif

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
My first question would have to be; "Why couldn't he get any other Ed Parker Kenpo Seniors to sign his 7th Diploma? Kelly, Planas, White, Sepulveda, Trejo, etc? Along with his first instructor Lou Angel, we all were on the board of his arranged "formality test" for 6th.

And, a math lesson based on his "time in grade." He started with Larry Tatum around 85 and got his black from Tatum as well. He was 4th when Mr. Parker passed. 5/4=?

My favorite line; "I don't make money from Kenpo. I make movies." The ONLY movie he ever mentions is "Perfect Weapon" which was released in 1991. Wasn't that over a decade and a half ago? :)

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
He went from white to 4th black in 6 years time? He earned his 1st degree from Mr. Tatum, were the other promotions from Mr. Parker?

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
He went from white to 4th black in 6 years time? He earned his 1st degree from Mr. Tatum, were the other promotions from Mr. Parker?

Well dubiously yes, but only in the sense that Parker signed everyone's diploma making it easy for most to say they were promoted by him. But in actuality, you must look on the right side of the diploma under "instructor." Parker signed on the instructor line for 4th, and Tatum taught him tthrough 3rd. Jeff's problem has never been his athleticsm, but his tremendous ego of actor and martial artist combined. Man there are some stories, but the interview gives you a pretty good idea. He has a degree in Psycology and he uses it to the max.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
He received his 1st degree BB in Japanese Goju-Ryu Karate from Lou Angel in 1980.

Actually, it is Tenshi Goju, Lous Angel's manifestation of the Goju Ryu he learned from Funakoshi and Urban. What's the difference??? I have no idea :)

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hand Sword
How would you evaluate Mr. Speakman's Kenpo skills at the time?

At the time Jeff was quite an athlete.

haha that totally doesn't answer the quesiton :D

or does it?!?!?! :angel:

Monadnock

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
While he did make a lot of good points, I certainly hope that talk went on after the seminar had finished.

I went to several of his classes on the East coast back in the early 90's and he could really move then too.

I wonder if any of the other Kenpo mega-dans would like to comment on how often they achieved a red stipe on their belt though. Would be a nice comparison.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
While he did make a lot of good points, I certainly hope that talk went on after the seminar had finished.

I went to several of his classes on the East coast back in the early 90's and he could really move then too.

I wonder if any of the other Kenpo mega-dans would like to comment on how often they achieved a red stipe on their belt though. Would be a nice comparison.
Jeff has never been lacking in athleticism, and it was obvious as he came up the ranks. But his ego is difficult for him to contain, and eventually he turns most people off with little endorcement except for his own acquired students. He's ruthlessly fiecre when it comes to controlling all that are around and under him.

On another note, he was taught by Parker what he needed to be successful on the screen because that was his strength. His early seminars before 5.0 consisted of a lot of TKD-like moves and endless techniques with 20 moves to conclusion.

Monadnock

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Jeff has never been lacking in athleticism, and it was obvious as he came up the ranks. But his ego is difficult for him to contain, and eventually he turns most people off with little endorcement except for his own acquired students. He's ruthlessly fiecre when it comes to controlling all that are around and under him.

On another note, he was taught by Parker what he needed to be successful on the screen because that was his strength. His early seminars before 5.0 consisted of a lot of TKD-like moves and endless techniques with 20 moves to conclusion.

I've seen this trend for a long time in my own dealings with the Kenpo crowd. I have no doubts it extends beyond my own geographic area. Having left and seen the light in other styles that really train, it really makes me laugh.

Looking at some of the 5.0 clips on his site and YouTube, it looks as though those guys are really thumping. It almost takes on, dare I say, a realistic look to it. I wish there was a group out here to investigate...

Latest Discussions