"Jay's Modified TKD Sparring Rules"

OP
F

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score

First off WTF Olympic style does not emphasis self defense, traditional does Fearless Freep. So do train in Olympic style with modification or do you train Traditional with Olympic modification that you need to find out

Good point. I was only really aware of 'point' and 'olympic' sparring, both of which encourage tactics and techniques not germane to self-defense. I was unaware of a 'traditional' style and that it was more applicable to self-defense

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
It sounds good to me Jay.

Some TKD instructors used to teach in this way. And some still do, but usually they teach a combination of TKD and other arts.

I don't think you neccessarily have to be a black belt to spar in this way either, just so long as all the participants have control, know the rules, and someone with experience is there to oversee things.

Brad Dunne

Brown Belt
Reaction score
If I may interject here and not to belabor what's already been discussed, TKD self defense as opposed to point sparring is nothing more than opening target acquisition. I have watched UFC fights where legs were taken out, arms were broken and people were knocked out, all by the use of kicks which are found in TKD. These were legal targets so to speak for competition use. Now just imagine the availability of non legal targets being attacked and these were highly trained fighters. Most discussions always seem to wind their way around an interface between trained fighters on the street. The vast majority of self defense situations will not be against hard core trained people. I realize that lots of folks feel that an accomplished street fighter is held in the same regard as a really trained fighter. Even if that's agreeded in principle, it still dosen't remove the fact that they are not as trained as a UFC fighter and the techniques that have taken out UFC fighters will undoubtedly take out the thug even quicker.

As for looking to increase training applications, I would suggest to look at the newly formed Hapkido competitions. For those that may want to "test their metal" under controlled conditions and not do the Olympic style sparring/fighting, they should find this appealing.

OP
F

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've been communicating with my Saobmnim about this over the past few days. He echoed some of the concerns that some of the joint-moves and throws get pretty violent and that without good control (coming from a lot of experience) some things are hard to keep 'safe' and that when competition comes into play, staying in control and 'safe' gets difficult.

On the other hand, he agreed with the principle and thought it would be good to do, in theory. Finding people dedicated enough, or crazy enough, to actually particpate..twice..would be hard.

He did, though rachet up the self-defense a bit yesterday. Rather than say 'ok, this is self defense against a punch', he just stood there and said "I'm going to attack...defend based on the attack". I did two things 1) try to recognize/react as quickly as possible 2) tried to go through the defense sequence as 'instinctively as possible' I probably only should've worked on one at a time bt my mind was clouded by the increased adreneline/stress.

Frankly, I sucked pretty bad, but it was very enlightening and very challenging and I was happy my Sabomnim responded to my desire for more 'stress and dynamics' in self-defense training by giving me more stress and randomness

Flamebearer

Green Belt
Reaction score
FearlessFreep said:
Frankly, I sucked pretty bad, but it was very enlightening and very challenging and I was happy my Sabomnim responded to my desire for more 'stress and dynamics' in self-defense training by giving me more stress and randomness
No offense meant, but of course you sucked. I would too, with a new exercise like that!:asian: Cheers for your Sabomnim for listening to your desire to try a more rigorous defense exercise!

I train in a traditional style, and it is very self-defense oriented.
-Flamebearer

OP
F

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score

No offense meant, but of course you sucked. I would too, with a new exercise like that

Well, I sorta expected it and wasn't really suprised. The dynamics of not knowing what is coming adds to the stress quite a bit. Like the first time you spar against a real person versus exercises against a person or pad. The unpredictability is quite a challenge

Before every move he would say "Ready?" and I would say "No...go for it"

Latest Discussions