it's natural to get hurt afther kyorugi???

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Every time I do kyorugi (sparring) I hurt myself, my right hand nuckles are beaten and hurt alot, in fact I can not clench my fist, also my feet/ankles hurt alot.

Every tiome I do sparring I hurt myself, don't know if I'am to fragile or my blows are to hard to the hogu.

Manny

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you need to condition your hands a bit. Discuss methods of doing so with your teachers, and if they tell you something like "punch the brick wall so that the knuckles break and heal stronger"... run away. There are various sorts of bag work, knuckle pushups and other exercises which can condition your hands without destroying them. (If you use the Search button, you'll find that there are lots of related threads...)

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Bumps and bruises on the hands, feet, legs, arms, and even torso are normal. Ice and rest them a bit. How often to you spar? It may be that you do not spar enough to get use to the pain. You have to build a pain tolerance to some things. Your body will adapt if used enough for anything. Do what jks9199 said and you will be fine.

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't spar ofthen I must say, TKD is for me just for exerise and practice poomse and SD. I almost had all the armor I mean the shin/instep protectors, the elbox/forearm protectors, the helmet but I think I will need the gloves too. I'm not a kid and seems to me that recovery time from my bruises takes moe time.

Yes TKD is more kicking oriented so we don't do pushups or hand conditioning, this I will do it by myself when my hand heal.

Will a makiwara help?

Manny

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't spar ofthen I must say, TKD is for me just for exerise and practice poomse and SD. I almost had all the armor I mean the shin/instep protectors, the elbox/forearm protectors, the helmet but I think I will need the gloves too. I'm not a kid and seems to me that recovery time from my bruises takes moe time.

Yes TKD is more kicking oriented so we don't do pushups or hand conditioning, this I will do it by myself when my hand heal.

Will a makiwara help?

Manny
There is a wide range of tools to condition the hands, and you really need to be shown how to use some of them properly or you'll do more harm than good. Rather than running out and buying or making a makiwara, find someone to teach you how to use it, because the makiwara is much more than a simple hand conditioning tool.

One option that doesn't require more than your basic instruction in punching is the heavy bag. You can also buy an inexpensive speed bag, and fill it with rice, beans, or lentils, or something similar. You then hang bag (I've used rope and tree branches...) and practice your punches into it. The advantage of a the speed bag used this way over a traditional heavy bag is that you don't need to wear bag gloves -- and it won't tear up the skin on your hands the same way.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
hmmm

In the beginning I got banged up quiet a bit. Then I noticed my technique was off stabbing blocks instead of sweeping them etc. then again, we don't do full contact and don't wear a hogu.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Every time I do kyorugi (sparring) I hurt myself, my right hand nuckles are beaten and hurt alot, in fact I can not clench my fist, also my feet/ankles hurt alot.

You should ask yourself why your hand hurts. Do you use pads? If so, your hand SHOULD NOT hurt after sparring assuming you aren't fighting full contact.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
What belt level are you, if you do not mind me asking? The one thing that all beginners do, (adults more than kids) is to always use full power. This is not needed as you will not hurt the body with the hogu on, and you do not want to go to the head with full power either in the dojang.

Reduce your power but keep your speed. You have to learn how to snap at the last second. You do not have to sacrifice speed when reducing power.

The object is to get a point. In the dojang you do not have to blast. But at a tournament go full out if you want. However you will tire yourself faster with all full power techniques.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
when you start out, you suck at fighting.

you SHOULD be sore.

put it this way, you are there to study a COMBAT system, not for dance lessons.

you cannot learn to fight without getting hit, and feeling pain.

the more pain you feel, the more you know you are actually learning something.

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
What belt level are you, if you do not mind me asking? The one thing that all beginners do, (adults more than kids) is to always use full power. This is not needed as you will not hurt the body with the hogu on, and you do not want to go to the head with full power either in the dojang.

Reduce your power but keep your speed. You have to learn how to snap at the last second. You do not have to sacrifice speed when reducing power.

The object is to get a point. In the dojang you do not have to blast. But at a tournament go full out if you want. However you will tire yourself faster with all full power techniques.

I'm a 1 dan black blet who is reurning to TKD afther 17 years, I come back on may 2007 and yes I try to use full power cause that's the way I was taught in the mid 80's when was younger.

Thank you for your coments, seems wise to me.

Manny

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
when you start out, you suck at fighting.

you SHOULD be sore.

put it this way, you are there to study a COMBAT system, not for dance lessons.

you cannot learn to fight without getting hit, and feeling pain.

the more pain you feel, the more you know you are actually learning something.

You are right in some way, however with a hurt hand or foot every time I do spar it's dificult to me to recover fast enough to have good TKD clases.

I'm not sissy, I like to do my best on kyorugi but need some protection and yes a little forearm and fist conditioning can help.

Manny

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm a 1 dan black blet who is reurning to TKD afther 17 years, I come back on may 2007 and yes I try to use full power cause that's the way I was taught in the mid 80's when was younger.

Manny
Ahh!!! I understand. One other tip is to use kicks that don't hurt as much. Round kick hurts the most as you hit elbows that hurt the foot and punch forarms and elbows. Side kicks and back kicks hurt less.

If you have to use round kicks then make sure you turn over and come across not up. This way if you hit the elbow you do not hit the point of the elbow but rather the outside of the arm.

Also you can aim a little higher and hit to the back of the shoulder. This will make people that keep their elbow in raise them a bit.

Just find ways to not hit the elbows and forarms, this should help some.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Manny,
i get what you ae saying. But for one thing, your hands shouldnt hurt. Is it your hands or your wrists? some people just have weak wrists, and need to wrap thier hands at first.

as for your feet, well, is it your toes or your feet?

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Manny

I hate to tell you this. But you have to come to terms with the fact you are no kid anymore. getting older sucks especially when you get to notice your body's limitations. You will have to find a new balance of speed, power and technique, especially if you have other obligations in life, outside the Dojang.

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Manny,
i get what you ae saying. But for one thing, your hands shouldnt hurt. Is it your hands or your wrists? some people just have weak wrists, and need to wrap thier hands at first.

as for your feet, well, is it your toes or your feet?

My right hand is hurt where the index and middel knuckles meet, this don't allow me to clench my fist to hit with it, also I can not clench my index finger.

About my lefth foot, the instep is healing, and my ankle is healing too, the big concern is about my right hand (I'm right handed) it hurts everytie I want to clench it and can not hit with it.

It's dificult to me to explain about my hand cause remeber English is not my mother languaje (I'm Mexican).

Thank you for varing about my injures and trying to help me, I really apreciate it alot.

Manny

Spartan 117

White Belt
Reaction score
Is it inflamed in the middle of the knuckles? If you can't clench your fist, it must be hard to type on the keyboard.

It happened to me when I first started breaking. Put some ice on it, right after the match, and give it a rest for some time.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm guessing over the internet -- but it sounds an awful lot like you broke your knuckles. I'd pretty strongly suggest having a doctor check it out, because if you mess them up too much, you won't be able to work. In the meantime, ice and rest.

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is it inflamed in the middle of the knuckles? If you can't clench your fist, it must be hard to type on the keyboard.

It happened to me when I first started breaking. Put some ice on it, right after the match, and give it a rest for some time.

You are right Spartan it's hard to type in the keyboard. Thanx for you PM pal.

Manny

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm guessing over the internet -- but it sounds an awful lot like you broke your knuckles. I'd pretty strongly suggest having a doctor check it out, because if you mess them up too much, you won't be able to work. In the meantime, ice and rest.

Hand is recovering but slowly, I had a 5 day treatment with antinflamatories (Flanax) and I almost can clench my fist, however the it's still hurt, so I will not use this hand till full recovery.

Manny