A topic to ponder

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I hear alot of folks at tournament or seminars that say I have been activily training since 1950, what does this really mean that they once trained in 1950 and then stopped and started back up again? I mean would you not think to be active training one must be training atleast a couple of days a week? I only ask because so many use that term like it means something, but yet they really do not train anymore just hold classes and or watch classes. What is your take on this?

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
i have thought about this one too, but for me, it came when i met a bunch of people one year that sai "i am a black belt" and when i asked when they worked out last, they all said "years ago"

as far as I am concerned, if you aint working out reguarly, you may have been a BB but that doesnt mean you ARE one any more.

same with that 1950 non-sense you mention

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would hope that when they say "actively" that they mean just that, meaning that they stayed active with their training and only took short breaks here that there because of life needs.

Now someone that started in 1950 trained for a few years then stopped and took it back up in....let's say 2004, has only been active for 5 years.

Many people sadly enough though count the years loosely to put is politely. I know a guy that says he has been doing MA's for over 20 years. He is still only a first degree and his technique is that of an Il Dan.

I know I take ones training time with a grain of salt.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, the word is "actively" training, as has been said by ATC. If someone says they've been training for 20 years, but hasn't trained in 5 years, it WILL be obvious when they step on the mat.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I hear alot of folks at tournament or seminars that say I have been activily training since 1950, what does this really mean that they once trained in 1950 and then stopped and started back up again? I mean would you not think to be active training one must be training atleast a couple of days a week? I only ask because so many use that term like it means something, but yet they really do not train anymore just hold classes and or watch classes. What is your take on this?

Time in is yet another 'measurable' that needs to be taken with a grain of salt along with dan rank. Skill is readily demonstrated. I'd go with what I see with my own eyes than just someone's MA resume.

There's another facet of this to think about. There are plenty of teachers who might have lots of knowledge in their head but yet have allowed their bodies and skills to degenerate to the point that they are UNABLE to demonstrate a fine point of technique during lessons. Their knowledge and experience should not be disregarded, but there's nothing like someone with strong, physical skill and the seasoning to back it up with.

NPTKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Wow! I think I said something along the same lines about instructors keeping up to date not only with technical training but the physical side also and it wasn't recieved very well here. On a another post (tkd.net) the same is being talked about. And how some instructors are finding in thier older years that the new Kukkiwon stances are easyer for them to do. And makes thier overall appearance when training look better for them.

Sorry to say, but we live in a world where appearences really do mean a lot. I know some would disagree and thats fine... but If you are trying to make a living teaching every little bit counts. You have to take care of yourself.

Just my thoughts.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
IMO... Anything more than a week missed is a break. But when measured in years, does a week long break count? I can tell you every break I ever had. Surgery, military duty, vacation... but if the break ends and you resume your training, then what? or what if you aren't actively wearing a uniform and kicking in a group, but you go to the gym and keep up with your cardio and throw a kick or 2. Does that count? I think realistically, we all have to take a break at one point or another in our life from TKD or any training. I deployed for quite some bit of time where i could not train... but when asked, I say I have been a BB for 20 years. I think I say it because I never voluntarily walked away or stopped. I may have had a few "breaks" but it wasn't cause I got bored with it and sat on the couch stuffing my face and not thinking about TKD. It's my life...

MSUTKD

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Those "new" kukkiwon stances are not new...... check the 1975 book.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Those "new" kukkiwon stances are not new...... check the 1975 book.

Ahhh yes, the change to change to change back to the change before the change..... its a dreadful cycle.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ahhh yes, the change to change to change back to the change before the change..... its a dreadful cycle.

LOL, so that changing thing is universal. Thought it was a more regional infliction

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have often met those who tell me how many " years " they have trained only to later find out many of the years were skipped, and some of the years entailed inconsistent training at best. I believe skill and experience come down to consistent quality hours of training. Just because someone started longer ago then another, that does not mean that they have more experience.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
There is nothing like taking classes to maintain technique. Yet, some like myself teach so much it is difficult to have the time to attend class regularly. So our workouts are part of teaching, or for me I do 200 kicks between classes and work my patterns 3 days a week. Demonstrating for students while I teach 5 classes a week is also a workout.

I think teaching a kids class taks 3x the energy of taking one class. Then there is also the opportunity to travel a few times a year for classes or seminars. (Attended at least 30 non TKD Seminars, some were an hour or two , some were several days) So, yes I consider that with this schedule of teaching since 1994, and before that attending classes 3x a week, I have been training regularly and steadily since 1971. (A few breaks for injuries,vacations and surgeries. Most were a week or two, longest was 2 months. Probably less that 6 total. )

There is one gentlemen in Chicago, KS Shin, who oponed his school in Chicago in 1968, and has been training regularly since the 1950's (He makes "Bear Brand" Uniforms) He heas been on the amt regularly since the 1950's - Not BS.). We should all do that well when we are in our 70's.

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
There is nothing like taking classes to maintain technique. Yet, some like myself teach so much it is difficult to have the time to attend class regularly. So our workouts are part of teaching, or for me I do 200 kicks between classes and work my patterns 3 days a week. Demonstrating for students while I teach 5 classes a week is also a workout.

I think teaching a kids class taks 3x the energy of taking one class. Then there is also the opportunity to travel a few times a year for classes or seminars. (Attended at least 30 non TKD Seminars, some were an hour or two , some were several days) So, yes I consider that with this schedule of teaching since 1994, and before that attending classes 3x a week, I have been training regularly and steadily since 1971. (A few breaks for injuries,vacations and surgeries. Most were a week or two, longest was 2 months. Probably less that 6 total. )

There is one gentlemen in Chicago, KS Shin, who oponed his school in Chicago in 1968, and has been training regularly since the 1950's (He makes "Bear Brand" Uniforms) He heas been on the amt regularly since the 1950's - Not BS.). We should all do that well when we are in our 70's.

Grandmaster Kim Soo is the same as this. Training since 1951, teaching since 1957. He taught 6 days per week himself up until 2007. Now, he's only teaching about 5 classes per week, between his HQ dojang, Rice University and University of Houston. He always said that a Sabeom that doesn't teach, is not a Sabeom.

His longevity is a good example for me.

R. McLain

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Take me for example please and let me know what I am.

I began in TKD in 1983 and got my BB in 1987. From 1987 to 1990-1992 (don't recall) I kept training regulary, then I stop TKD training till may 2007. Beetwen 1992-2007 I trained a little aikido, a little shotokan karate but nothing seriusly.

So let's say I was off TKD and MA since 1992 to may 2007, when I returned TKD my actual sambonim took me as I am a 1st. degree black belt, infact, for respect I show him all my TKD certicates, my diplomas, etc,etc.

Today I'm training two martial arts in a regulary basis, I'm a BB in TKD and a white belt in Kenpo, it's true I don't have 26 years of experience on my back because I was off for some years of MA, however I feel I am a Black belt in TKD since 1987 and even I don't compete anymore and only do TKD for health and personal growing I deserve the grade I have in TKD.

I've been refusing the second dan test cause I feel I don't have the credits or the time to earn such a distintion.

I will be a simple plain black belt in TKD for ever? I don't know.

Manny

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Wow! I think I said something along the same lines about instructors keeping up to date not only with technical training but the physical side also and it wasn't recieved very well here.

I definitely think instructors should stay in good shape and continually advance their skills and knowledge. Where I differed from you in that thread is that I didn't think joining the KKW was the only way to do that.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
i have thought about this one too, but for me, it came when i met a bunch of people one year that sai "i am a black belt" and when i asked when they worked out last, they all said "years ago"

as far as I am concerned, if you aint working out reguarly, you may have been a BB but that doesnt mean you ARE one any more.

same with that 1950 non-sense you mention

What do you mean by "work out"? Are you talking about training like kicking the bag or running forms? Or would you consider on the floor teaching as working out?

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
I always say my history with MA's goes back 20 some odd years. training off and on since the mid to late '80's. Even when I wasn't in classes, i was researching, studying history, trying out free classes/seminars whenever possible. I think that's a more honest way instead of saying I've got 25 years under my belt. When pressed, I can try to lay out what i did when, but it gets a bit convoluted after awhile.

How does someone like me answer the question of how long have you trained without being dishonest and without degrading legitimate training?

Peace,
Erik

NPTKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I definitely think instructors should stay in good shape and continually advance their skills and knowledge. Where I differed from you in that thread is that I didn't think joining the KKW was the only way to do that.

And how some instructors are finding in thier older years that the new Kukkiwon stances are easyer for them to do. And makes thier overall appearance when training look better for them.

This was meant for the instructors that are already doing KKW. I never said that one should join KKW... That is why the THEM is underlined. Because I knew someone would not like the KKW mentioned. The thread that I was refering to was on KKW poomsae changes. And my post was for those already doing KKW.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
And how some instructors are finding in thier older years that the new Kukkiwon stances are easyer for them to do. And makes thier overall appearance when training look better for them.

This was meant for the instructors that are already doing KKW. I never said that one should join KKW... That is why the THEM is underlined. Because I knew someone would not like the KKW mentioned. The thread that I was refering to was on KKW poomsae changes. And my post was for those already doing KKW.

I'm glad you aree clarifying your stance now, for the better. The original slant of your argument was less moderate.

NPTKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I'm glad you aree clarifying your stance now, for the better. The original slant of your argument was less moderate.

My slant... My argument... Less moderate.... Are you going to do this everytime I post? I like KKW! You don't! I get it. can we move on?

Latest Discussions