isit ok for an adults and kids to wear their gi and Belt at the store

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
i have sleeveless jacket with the name of my club and KARATE across the back, i don't,wear it often as it provokes idiots to engage me in conversation and mock me, I'm not sure how much worse wandering round in a gi would be? Considerably o would imagine.

i can see that, someone might be caught out and need to pop to the shop on their way home, but on the other hand it takes less than a min, to change. There has to be an element of look at me, exhibitionism about it if grown men make a habit of wanderings around dressed up in their suit and belts,
its like,a king fu movie

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
i have sleeveless jacket with the name of my club and KARATE across the back, i don't,wear it often as it provokes idiots to engage me in conversation and mock me, I'm not sure how much worse wandering round in a gi would be? Considerably o would imagine.

i can see that, someone might be caught out and need to pop to the shop on their way home, but on the other hand it takes less than a min, to change. There has to be an element of look at me, exhibitionism about it if grown men make a habit of wanderings around dressed up in their suit and belts,
its like,a king fu movie
They’re not mocking you for the jacket.

Tarrycat

Green Belt
Reaction score
I've worn my pants & tabi to the grocery store after class, because I don't care what people say. I will do what is convenient for myself.

Besides, I'm not the one with the low self-esteem casting judgment on other people.

People not only make fun of others in gi's. A lot of people make fun of martial arts as a whole - why? Because they know of no better. One should just humour & pity their ignorance.

It's happened at my OWN dojo, where when we trained outside for Rokushaku bo, the people who attended a cricket event (our dojo is located in the same area as the rugby field), made fun of our gi's. I almost said something to the guy, but I didn't want to steep to his level. Like someone said earlier; people should mind their own business.

Unfortunately, there is no cure for being a fruitcake... :meh:

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
P.S. When I read D-Dog’s term “douche canoe” I spilled my coffee.

Drat. I was trying to get you to pass coffee through your nose. That's the Maximum Success right there.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Maybe it's something about you that brings on this behavior. I commonly wear dobak pants to the Y, with a tank top or t-shirt. Many of those are "club" shirts and say YMCA Tae Kwon Do on the back, with a sidekick graphic. Doesn't worry me in the least if I stop at the shops on the way there or home. I've had people ask me about the program, but there has not been even one incident where anyone was the least bit unpleasant.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Maybe it's something about you that brings on this behavior. I commonly wear dobak pants to the Y, with a tank top or t-shirt. Many of those are "club" shirts and say YMCA Tae Kwon Do on the back, with a sidekick graphic. Doesn't worry me in the least if I stop at the shops on the way there or home. I've had people ask me about the program, but there has not been even one incident where anyone was the least bit unpleasant.
well its not Just me, others have raised similar points, but i didn't say anything about people being unpleasant, rather i get idiots talking to me, which i would rather avoid if possible,

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
To a certain extent it depends on where you live and what the local customs are. Jobo's neighborhood sounds a lot different than the area where my son used to take classes.

Before heading off to college last year, my son attended a TKD school at a strip mall in a slightly upscale neighborhood across town. The school had very limited changing space, so nearly all the students, including adults would arrive already dressed in their complete dobuks, or else wearing the school T-shirt and "karate pants". Some of the older students did wait to put on their belts till entering the school.

Still it was very common to see students in full uniform popping into the grocery store right next-door before or after class, ...and occasionally the head instructor, Sabunim Nick, would stop in as well. It all seemed quite normal, even for the store employees. Whenever I dropped in with my son after class to get a bite, the guy at the sandwich counter would call to us by name and share his latest Chuck Norris joke.

In my VT classes we wear the school T-shirt and black shorts or "kung-fu pants" and I often drop into the grocery store up the street to pick up a few things on the way home from class. I've never had a problem ...except if I were wearing the kung fu pants with no pockets. So I only go when I'm wearing the shorts! ;)

Now one time (I posted about this a long time ago) I did fall into the checkout line behind a guy wearing a brand-new looking, bright red gi with an equally new-looking black belt adorned with all kinds of gold embroidery and numerous bars on the ends. I admit I did give it a second glance because it was so ostentatious and frankly, ... kinda fake looking, but really, none of my business. :)

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
no there mocking me as i have karate on my back, i don't generaly get mocked otherwise, not unless i wear socks with sandals
no people will be mocking you, they may do it quietly at a distance, but mocking just the same. :) I'm just screwing with you. You tee them up sometimes.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

its like,a king fu movie

It is probably because you train with Cobra Kai.

images

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've worn my pants & tabi to the grocery store after class, because I don't care what people say. I will do what is convenient for myself.

Besides, I'm not the one with the low self-esteem casting judgment on other people.

People not only make fun of others in gi's. A lot of people make fun of martial arts as a whole - why? Because they know of no better. One should just humour & pity their ignorance.

It's happened at my OWN dojo, where when we trained outside for Rokushaku bo, the people who attended a cricket event (our dojo is located in the same area as the rugby field), made fun of our gi's. I almost said something to the guy, but I didn't want to steep to his level. Like someone said earlier; people should mind their own business.

Unfortunately, there is no cure for being a fruitcake... :meh:

See I wouldn't wear my training shoes around due to the concern about tranmission of dirt and disease.

I do have a set of hi vis wrestling shoes that are pretty fly. Wor them to yoga once because my toes were all busted up.

Rough Rider

Green Belt
Reaction score
Like Steve, I just think it's dorky. I always change at the dojang. If I do see someone wearing a uniform, or even a club t-shirt, I'm more likely to strike up a conversation than mock him. After all, we have a common interest that I enjoy talking about.

Latest Discussions