isit ok for an adults and kids to wear their gi and Belt at the store

Martial_Kumite

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have worn my uniform into walmart. Mostly because It was at 8:00 at night and I needed to pick up dong food. It actually lead to a discussion with a Walmart designer or something (was a while ago so I forgot his name). No one seems to care. If your wearing it to make a point, then I can see a problem. But someone running a quick errand, I don't see a problem with that.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'd be much more embarrassed about buying dong food than wearing a gi in public! :D

....or maybe not, now that I see that there actually is such a thing. Still, I would be surprised to find it at Walmart.

Dong Food

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
when you go somewere like to the store because they might think your a show off and they gona challenge you
lol this is me. But I keep it inside. When I see someone with a belt or a gi, I make jokes to myself or to my wife how I'm going to earn my black belt today. My school doesn't use a belt system so the joke is to beat up someone and their their belt, which is a slap in their face if they are a black belt.

But in reality nothing is going to happen. It's just a little kung fu humor that is common in traditional schools. One day I was in a grocery store and saw this guy who looked like he was 6ft 5 and built like a beast. The joke that day was. He can keep his belt this time. It was the only time I've seen someone who made the belt look dangerous instead of the belt making the person look dangerous.

As far as wearing a belt or gi in the store. I would say just let people have their happiness. They aren't hurting anyone by doing that so let them have that short time of feeling good about themselves. Some people like to show what they earned.

Some people do it for advertising to bring awareness about their school. With all of the crap that goes on in the world, this is one of those things that can be ignored. If you get annoyed with it, then make a joke to yourself about it and that way both of you end up having a really good day. Don't be like my wife. One day she asked a black belt teen what would he do if she punched him in his face... :bag: <- This is me when my wife forgets to use her filter.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Two completely different responses to this.

Kids: There is nothing wrong with it. Get over yourself. If my kid is wearing a gi and you, a complete stranger, presumes to comment on it, we are going to have a problem of some kind. I will likely start by telling you to kindly screw off.

Adults: Is it dorky? Yeah. But no dorkier than wearing a softball uniform to the store on the way home from a game. You are free to judge them, but understand that they are judging you for your man bun, toe shoes, or some other thing about you that is lame at the same time.
Wearing a uniform has always been a form of pride. Some people are just more proud of their uniform than others. For me personally I have never worn my track uniform in the store lol. Men's 80's styled track shorts should only be worn on the track and then after you finish running, you should skillfully hide them by putting on sweat pants lol.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have no problems with Gis and belts, I would ban MAMILS especially the sweaty ones! Ugh!

I applaud anyone who is trying to get fit but please don't wear Lycra to do it in, I'm not sure it's good for you anyway, all that sweat encased in elastic.

(Middle Aged Men In Lycra)

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
A Gi is a uniform. The thick weave of judogi is derived from a firemans uniform. Much like a school uniform is worn for school or businessmen wear a suit. In Japan jeans and a polo shirt is a casual uniform. You are "required" to wear it as part of the community you belong to or the even you are attending.

So the question is.....who would even want to wear one when in Western countries you actually have free choice of what you wear out. It's not exactly a smart thing to do. Usually they stink, are sweaty and it's the first thing you want to take off.

The only time you wear it in public is you are on you way to and coming back from training, you have no time to change or there are no changing facilities.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Are you going to tell him he can’t wear his gi out in public?

E3B9D58E-78F0-4F98-8751-2F9E9CC32EBB.jpeg

I got a kick out of all the guys running in the streets barefoot and in their gis in that movie. Must’ve hurt.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
i have sleeveless jacket with the name of my club and KARATE across the back, i don't,wear it often as it provokes idiots to engage me in conversation and mock me, I'm not sure how much worse wandering round in a gi would be? Considerably o would imagine.

i can see that, someone might be caught out and need to pop to the shop on their way home, but on the other hand it takes less than a min, to change. There has to be an element of look at me, exhibitionism about it if grown men make a habit of wanderings around dressed up in their suit and belts,
its like,a king fu movie
I think maybe you (and the OP) have a problem.

I wear my white sweat shirt with my Judo club logo on it all the time. Most people ignore it. 'Cept that time I wore it to the indoor range in winter. It was freezing in there. You know what happened? The RSO on duty asked my advice about some martial arts training he was interested it. I gave it to him.

I often don't change my gi pants when I go to or from teaching. Sure, I'll take off my jacket and belt and put on a t-shirt. If I'm on my way home from teaching Judo and I realize that I need to stop by the store for some reason, you know what I do? I go to the store because I'm not an emotional child who is terrified about what the "People of Wal-Mart" think about me.

You know what they say? "Egad, Trudy! He's wearing white after Labor Day!"

:rolleyes:

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
well its not Just me, others have raised similar points, but i didn't say anything about people being unpleasant, rather i get idiots talking to me, which i would rather avoid if possible,
You know some people have developed this ability to ignore others.

I think we're all married.

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score

I wear my white sweat shirt with my Judo club logo on it all the time. Most people ignore it. 'Cept that time I wore it to the indoor range in winter. It was freezing in there. You know what happened? The RSO on duty asked my advice about some martial arts training he was interested it. I gave it to him.

I often don't change my gi pants when I go to or from teaching. Sure, I'll take off my jacket and belt and put on a t-shirt. If I'm on my way home from teaching Judo and I realize that I need to stop by the store for some reason, you know what I do? I go to the store because I'm not an emotional child who is terrified about what the "People of Wal-Mart" think about me.

Agreed this whole thread is stupid. People don't give a damm if you're in a gi or not no one thinks you're a show off no one says anything negative and no one challenges you because people have their own lives and just don't give a damm about something so tiny and insignificant

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You know some people have developed this ability to ignore others...

It would be interesting to put that to the test. For example, would you resist the temptation to stare if you saw this at Walmart:
http://www.superfansuits.com/media/...d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/img-product-ninja1-f.jpg

...or this:
http://www.elvispresleymusic.com.au/pictures/img/elvis/70s/74/sept-9-74-karate.jpg

...or how about this:
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/6f/7d/3c/6f7d3c4174c9137012c3f0c1beb54f74.jpg

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

i get the impression. You live in the suburbs and go everywhere by car, round here walking and using public transport its best not to draw attention to yourself, pass by like a ninja un noticed is the best survival strategy, wearing a bright white suit that some what draws attention to yourself would be unwise, at best you'll have drunks making kung fu noises women laughing, and children throwing things at you. And that's just in the store,

when I'm down at the bus station at mid night, having a karate jacket on, just encourages people to interact with me and i really don't want that , i had someone shouting abuse at me as they didn't like my bobbie hat , its the same in the pub, people id really like to not get into a conversation with say, hello Mr karate man, and sit down to converse with me . Ask me how tough i am or just take the mick.

anyone can wear a suit if they are going door to door by car, but why on earth would you? When it takes only a few,seconds to change

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have no problems with Gis and belts, I would ban MAMILS especially the sweaty ones! Ugh!

I applaud anyone who is trying to get fit but please don't wear Lycra to do it in, I'm not sure it's good for you anyway, all that sweat encased in elastic.

(Middle Aged Men In Lycra)

That is me by the way. I do love a training rashie. Makes me all slippery.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
i get the impression. You live in the suburbs and go everywhere by car, round here walking and using public transport its best not to draw attention to yourself, pass by like a ninja un noticed is the best survival strategy, wearing a bright white suit that some what draws attention to yourself would be unwise, at best you'll have drunks making kung fu noises women laughing, and children throwing things at you. And that's just in the store,

when I'm down at the bus station at mid night, having a karate jacket on, just encourages people to interact with me and i really don't want that , i had someone shouting abuse at me as they didn't like my bobbie hat , its the same in the pub, people id really like to not get into a conversation with say, hello Mr karate man, and sit down to converse with me . Ask me how tough i am or just take the mick.

anyone can wear a suit if they are going door to door by car, but why on earth would you? When it takes only a few,seconds to change
You wore your stuff in a pub? That’s awesome!

I’ve been contemplating buying a wrestling singlet to wear around the streets. Maybe I’ll stop by a pub and have a pint while I’m at it.

Then again, no pockets. Gotta buy a fanny pack to keep my wallet in.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
You wore your stuff in a pub? That’s awesome!

I’ve been contemplating buying a wrestling singlet to wear around the streets. Maybe I’ll stop by a pub and have a pint while I’m at it.

Then again, no pockets. Gotta buy a fanny pack to keep my wallet in.
Just stuff it in your cup.

Latest Discussions