What style is this?

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
It looks like some combination of river dancing and epilepsy.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's Ameri-do-te. Those are Japanese foreign exchange students. They are demonstrating the Hurtacane technique that master Ken taught them.

VPT

Green Belt
Reaction score
Someone explained this once on another forum. It's an exercise from Yagyu Shingan-ryu jujutsu called "mifuri", 'body shaking'. I have no idea what it is for what you train with it, but the style itself is very legit.

I think Akuzawa trained under someone from it for a period of time.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Someone explained this once on another forum. It's an exercise from Yagyu Shingan-ryu jujutsu called "mifuri", 'body shaking'. I have no idea what it is for what you train with it, but the style itself is very legit.

I was going to say it looked like some kind of warm up exercise. The koshi appeared to be very real.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It tells you what it purports to be underneath the video if you look on YouTube.

BrendanF

Purple Belt
Reaction score

This.

Lots of people think if it doesn't look like mma it's not martial arts. Kids and the ufc i guess.

Yagyu Shingan ryu is an armoured battlefield system, focused on grappling, but includes many weapons.

These are movements designed to dislodge an armoured samurai, who is gripping your armour.

Many training techniques in koryu are 'hidden in plain sight' like this - they also have a throw wherein the uke does a (seemingly supported) backflip. The application is actually to dump uke straight on the top of his head. In order to keep training partners.. well.. alive, they don't. Looks weird, but is just training for something other than mano-e-mano-speedo-cage-fighto.

BrendanF

Purple Belt
Reaction score

an embu demonstrating the throw I describe above - skip to 1:02 to see plainclothes version - features some of the OP movements. Skip to 2:12 to see it performed in armour. Rest assured there are reasons for the "weird" stuff.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lots of people think if it doesn't look like mma it's not martial arts. Kids and the ufc i guess.

Really? I don't suppose it has occurred to you that what is in mixed martial arts is just that... martial arts? So funnily enough martial arts look like MMA and MMA looks like martial arts.

BrendanF

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Really? I don't suppose it has occurred to you that what is in mixed martial arts is just that... martial arts? So funnily enough martial arts look like MMA and MMA looks like martial arts.

Sorry Tez - don't really understand what you're trying to say. It hasn't occured to me that MMA is martial arts? Where did I suggest otherwise?

So.. funnily enough.. all martial arts look like MMA? Do you think silat, arnis, kyudo, sumo, aikido, TKD, Kalaripayyatu etc etc etc ... look like MMA? Or are they not martial arts?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry Tez - don't really understand what you're trying to say. It hasn't occured to me that MMA is martial arts? Where did I suggest otherwise?

So.. funnily enough.. all martial arts look like MMA? Do you think silat, arnis, kyudo, sumo, aikido, TKD, Kalaripayyatu etc etc etc ... look like MMA? Or are they not martial arts?

You didn't realise just how snide your remarks were about MMA and those who train it? Why style bash and consider that MMAers are ignorant of other styles as you are doing now? Why make the comment at all? What's the 'kids and the UFC' supposed to mean?

A great many people who train MMA are perhaps more interested in other arts than you obviously think, they also train a good many more styles than you seem to think as well including those with weapons.

Latest Discussions