Is your school air conditioned?

Is your school air conditioned?

• Huh? What's air conditioning?

• Yes!

• Sometimes (when the thing isn't broken)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Aikikitty

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm wondering mainly from what some of the people wrote in the 'underwear' threads talking about how hot they get. Summer is upon us although for me it feels like it's already been here for several months.

My dojo is air conditioned but sometimes it doesn't cool as well as it should. We always get sweaty from the workout even in winter but it's 50 times worse in the summer. When it's really hot and then it's humid on top of it is what kills you. Sometimes, when we're all dripping wet with sweat, my sensei will turn it off because he's cold standing there but he'll always turn it back on if any of us students ask (and looking like we're going to have a heatstroke helps). Sometimes the air has been on for a long time before we get there, it actually gets so cold we're all freezing and it takes awhile to warm up but that's unusual.

Robyn :asian:

R

rmcrobertson

All's I can tell you is that the big joke where I train--which the instructors got from the head of the school--is to look at the class, say," Ah, I know why you're moving so slow," and turn the fans off. With the AC already off.

The school's head likes to close the front doors, too. Of course, this joke only truly hits its peak in July and August.

J

Jill666

In my dojo we have central air and fans- which have remained unused for these past few years.

HOWEVER- last week a sensei began travelling up from RI with one of his students. A lovely man, Sensei Jake is 62 years old, a survivor of two heart attacks. Lo, and behold, the AC and the fans were both going last week! He told me he plans to come every week this summer, so I guess we'll be cool...

:cool:

I might have to start wearing turtlenecks to class. :D

T

tonbo

Supposedly, we have air conditioning. I have yet to see it at our school. I know we have a heater, but I don't think there is really such a thing as a/c.

We have a large fan in the main dojo, and our second dojo is cooled mainly by opening the back door and allowing the cross-breezes to come through.

Kinda like having a car that has 4/60 air conditioning......only stationary. :D

Peace--

C

chufeng

Since we train outside, all year 'round, we get natural air-conditioning...summers are usually not too hot; winters are wet but mild (usually in the 40s)...

:asian:
chufeng

T

ThuNder_FoOt

My TKD Instructor turns the A/C all the way up. It will be so cold, that you can almost see your own breath. He's always jokes saying that he was a polar bear in a past life.

Now, my Muay Thai instructor keeps the A/C off with doors closed. He likes it to be an oven in the gym. He contstantly checks to see if everyone is sweating.

Talk about climate control :D

grimfang

Green Belt
Reaction score
AC???? We would be happy if the bloody heater would turn off!! Its june... 80+ degrees F. outside, and the heater is constantly running!
Ventalation might help... not much of that either.
After each class, its a mad dash to the local beverage vendor :drinkbeer

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yeah, we have A/C at my dojang but it doesn't work very well. I, well, we still sweat like friggin pigs when the training gets intense. On really hot days it smells like Kuchi up in there, but, it's all good because we're getting a really good work out. I guess the smell indicates that the MA practitioners are getting their money's worth... :D

:ultracool

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just cause it is 93 degrees with a heat index of 107 now [combines humidity with temperature ... wait 'til August in Austin], it seems like a lot of trouble to flick the switch. Then you have to watch a dial and people complain about too hot or too cold ... this way we ALL KNOW it is too hot.

You should see my guys' -n- gal's conditioning when we go out of state somewhere, where the temp is in the 80's as a high. They just keep on sparring and sparring and sparring ... good conditioning, but I am careful re: hydration and regulating intensity of the workout.

M

MartialArtist

The schools I train in have no air conditioning.

The local area where I teach does have air conditioning that can turn you into an ice cube.

S

soccer50

Air conditioning is money consuming and pointless. Its better if you have fans

M

MartialArtist

Originally posted by soccer50
Air conditioning is money consuming and pointless. Its better if you have fans
Yeah, but it's a health club, and I don't pay :D

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My school has AC, but it's hardly ever used. My school has three training rooms. The two bigger ones have two doors to the outside. We open them up and a nice breeze cools the place. I perfer that over the AC on, and the "stuffy" smell anyday.

R

RCastillo

Damn well better be, I ain't working out in this South Texas humidity. I got standards, ya know!;)

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yep we have a big ac unit but it only gets turned on when it's so hot the kids pass out first, Course Seig is such a thrifty guy and that unit sucks the power fast and furious ending up with a huge electric bill, sooo we rely on fans, the window being open and well sweat is cleansing .. so he keeps telling me ~!!! He never runs it when we're sparring if it's really hot outside because going from a cooled building after the strenuous workout into the humid heat.. just isn't too healthy.

Latest Discussions