Is [your martial art] good for a "real fight"?

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
I tried using a standing desk for a while, but I'd have to have one that converts. I can't stand for long periods (my knees and back get achy). I'd love to put the money into a really nice convertible desk.
I'm pretty sure the latest I read is that even standing for 5m every 30 is enough to kickstart your metabolism and reduce risks.

The hard part is realizing how much time you've been planted.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the latest I read is that even standing for 5m every 30 is enough to kickstart your metabolism and reduce risks.

The hard part is realizing how much time you've been planted.
Yeah, that's a tough one. I'll look up and realize I've been at my desk for 2 hours.

screamingskull

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I tried using a standing desk for a while, but I'd have to have one that converts. I can't stand for long periods (my knees and back get achy). I'd love to put the money into a really nice convertible desk.
maybe do some leg training & lower back.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
maybe do some leg training & lower back.
The lower back is definitely something I need to work on, though it's most likely more a hamstring and hip ROM issue (I've never been very flexible in either, and that has gotten much worse in the last 10 years).

The knees, it's not a leg strength issue - it's a knee joint issue. I've had issues with my knees since my teens. Some of my issues now are almost certainly because of poor choices in my leg training in the past. I had to give up distance running a few years ago because of my knees, and can't do heavy weights on squats (or anything with a squatting component) any more, because my knees just can't take the pressure on the lowering.

That said, leg strength does mitigate it some, and I'm better than I was a couple of years ago. I can still lift more than I expect, and can do relatively heavier weights on a single leg, using both legs to lower. But most of my leg training these days is just hiking the trails at work with my 30-lb. harness on, sometimes with additional equipment. Over the winter, I really hope to get back into the gym, if I can afford the membership.

screamingskull

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The lower back is definitely something I need to work on, though it's most likely more a hamstring and hip ROM issue (I've never been very flexible in either, and that has gotten much worse in the last 10 years).

The knees, it's not a leg strength issue - it's a knee joint issue. I've had issues with my knees since my teens. Some of my issues now are almost certainly because of poor choices in my leg training in the past. I had to give up distance running a few years ago because of my knees, and can't do heavy weights on squats (or anything with a squatting component) any more, because my knees just can't take the pressure on the lowering.

That said, leg strength does mitigate it some, and I'm better than I was a couple of years ago. I can still lift more than I expect, and can do relatively heavier weights on a single leg, using both legs to lower. But most of my leg training these days is just hiking the trails at work with my 30-lb. harness on, sometimes with additional equipment. Over the winter, I really hope to get back into the gym, if I can afford the membership.
If you can´t squat leg press.. the best exercise.
I couldn´t squat after knee surgery but could leg press & my quads blew up quickly. Wide stance feet outwards will hit your vastus medialis important for knee stability.
I did a circuit of..
Stationary bike (warm up)

Tri set ..

Leg press
Leg Curls
Calf raises
reps about 15 till failure on each exercise, if you do 20 no big deal.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you can´t squat leg press.. the best exercise.
I couldn´t squat after knee surgery but could leg press & my quads blew up quickly. Wide stance feet outwards will hit your vastus medialis important for knee stability.
I did a circuit of..
Stationary bike (warm up)

Tri set ..

Leg press
Leg Curls
Calf raises
reps about 15 till failure on each exercise, if you do 20 no big deal.
Yeah, the leg press machine is my preferred exercise for that motion. It lets me lift with one leg and lower with two.

For some reason, my calves have a problem with direct exercise now. They get incredibly tight for days after anything that targets them. I noticed it about 10 years ago when I could still run distance, and switched to a mid-foot strike. So now I just rely on hiking and such (at work, that includes a 30-lb. harness and steep slopes).

screamingskull

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, the leg press machine is my preferred exercise for that motion. It lets me lift with one leg and lower with two.

For some reason, my calves have a problem with direct exercise now. They get incredibly tight for days after anything that targets them. I noticed it about 10 years ago when I could still run distance, and switched to a mid-foot strike. So now I just rely on hiking and such (at work, that includes a 30-lb. harness and steep slopes).
yeah do what works for you. I actually liked using the seated leg press for calf work too but now at home i do standing one legged then as i fatigue after blasting each leg separately i use both legs to failure for one last set.
Between standing & seated calf raises i actually prefer seated.

I like seated Barbell calf raises which is very old school but of course in the Gym you´ll have a machine.
Maybe try doing seated calf raises in the Gym as maybe standing is not for you.
People think you have to do standing & seated for full development but maybe you´re different.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah do what works for you. I actually liked using the seated leg press for calf work too but now at home i do standing one legged then as i fatigue after blasting each leg separately i use both legs to failure for one last set.
Between standing & seated calf raises i actually prefer seated.

I like seated Barbell calf raises which is very old school but of course in the Gym you´ll have a machine.
Maybe try doing seated calf raises in the Gym as maybe standing is not for you.
People think you have to do standing & seated for full development but maybe you´re different.
I do have less problem when I do them on a leg press machine. Thanks for the reminder!

Hanshi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Some systems do seem to be a better choice or any out-of-the-dojo situations. Partly this may be due to how difficult a particular art is to an average, not especially athletic, person. As an example I studied TKD under several teachers for many years just to reach competency; that was the best I came to expect in taekwondo ability. Other arts were better for my "marginal" athleticism. I did turn out to be something of a natural for boxing and enjoyed that immensely. That was pretty much it.

But the bottom line is the man/woman using the skills learned in a dojo.
This being something similar to - fight in the dog rather than the dog in the fight.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Speaking of legs. I'm currently having trouble with my knees due to limited range of movement being corrected. It has been more than 30 years since I've been able to fully straighten my legs. My legs were strong in that position. Now that I can fully straighten my legs, I'm having to rehab my legs because they are so weak now that my knees sometimes snap back like they want to hyper extend.

My knees and shins don't like this new adjustment. Lots of leg workout in my future to build where my muscles were previously weak. On the positive side. My side kicks are much better and I no longer have a wobble in my walk. I just hate that my work out is shorter because my legs are weaker when they are straight. Thank goodness for Epson salt

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Speaking of legs. I'm currently having trouble with my knees due to limited range of movement being corrected. It has been more than 30 years since I've been able to fully straighten my legs. My legs were strong in that position. Now that I can fully straighten my legs, I'm having to rehab my legs because they are so weak now that my knees sometimes snap back like they want to hyper extend.

My knees and shins don't like this new adjustment. Lots of leg workout in my future to build where my muscles were previously weak. On the positive side. My side kicks are much better and I no longer have a wobble in my walk. I just hate that my work out is shorter because my legs are weaker when they are straight. Thank goodness for Epson salt
How did you get your full range of motion back?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
How did you get your full range of motion back?
My doctor did some work on me. It's the one that I usually talk about who originally fixed my knee issues . I had to see him because all of my muscles in my legs were cramping up and each day I would lose range of motion. During the process of addressing that issue he did something that allowed me to fully straighten my legs.

Latest Discussions