Is this forum slowly dying?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
1) There could be some minor glitches that're the cause of people seeing only a few threads when you log on. This is something Bob would have to look into.

2) I've noticed the most activity when something really big is going on. Elections, a war, a conflict, etc. If nothing is going on, thus the gears slow a bit.

3) How 'hot' is a topic? If something isn't hot or sexy enough to generate alot of discussion, even though that topic may be a valid one, it isn't going to get nearly the replies. Ex: Look at the TSA bodyscan thread. How many pages is that?

4) We rely on everyone, members and staff, to start threads. By all means, if there is a 'hot' topic out there, feel free to post it and hopefully it'll generate some good discussion. :)

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think problem also could be technically. In forum main page it says that since my last visit was 116 new post and 9 threads.

When i go to new posts i see only 28 posts.

I've been lurking around so much, now when i created account you say this is dying! :(
There are some staff areas and supporting member ares that you can't see, but shouldn't account for the count discrepancy. If it continues, let me know and I'll try and sync up with you to do some real-time testing.

As to dying, no. Slowed down, sure. Sundays right now seem the most slow, but I'll blame that on the NFL for now. :)

Overall site traffic is up, and registrations are higher than last year. What I see is less new topics being started and the resultant decline in replies. I've long said each post can generate 2-4 more posts, and the numbers back this out. Part of the problem too is, we're using the rep and thanks systems heavily, removing much of the 'chatter' from the works. So, less noise, more 'meat'.

But, alot of our old heavies are running lighter. Terry used to average 1,000 ppm. Now he's 100-200. I used to do 600+, now I'm at half that because I'm spreading out across 12 sites and trying to build a photography business. So that's 1,000+ ppm missing right there, and that's just 2 people. But, we're still here. So no worries yet.

Top Posters November 2010
Bob Hubbard 320
Tez3 288
Bruno@MT 235
dancingalone 178
jks9199 170
Big Don 160
Xue Sheng 155
Sukerkin 151
elder999 135
terryl965 131

Compare to Nov 2009
Bob Hubbard 509
MJS 295
jks9199 293
Tez3 271
Bill Mattocks 223
Carol 205
Xue Sheng 186
Jade Tigress 179
arnisador 170
Archangel M 168

Top Thread starters Nov 2010
Clark Kent 46 (Bot)
Bob Hubbard 28
MA-Caver 27
Big Don 21
dancingalone 20
Bill Mattocks 18
MJS 18
maunakumu 14
jks9199 14
Manny 13

Compare to Nov 2009
Clark Kent 148 (Bot)
Bob Hubbard 62
Bill Mattocks 35
MA-Caver 29
jks9199 20
MJS 19
Carol 17
Big Don 16
Jade Tigress 15
Manny 13

Top Posted Forums Nov 2010
Tae-Kwon-Do 1336
The Study 1156
General Martial Arts Talk 992
US Political Discussion and Debate 804
The Locker Room Bar & Grill 296
Wing Chun 250
Ninjutsu - General Discussion 156
Beginners Corner 126
General Self Defense 117
MMA 110

Top Posted Forums Nov 2009
Tae-Kwon-Do 1369
The Study 1191
US Political Discussion and Debate 856
General Martial Arts Talk 670
The Locker Room Bar & Grill 612
Law Enforcement 224
Meet & Greet 208
Members in Motion 196
General Self Defense 177
Wing Chun 149

So not a major change from last Nov. Little lighter in the Study areas, TKD's solid, GMA's up a bit, B&G's dropped, and some churn at the bottom.

So for those who want to boost things, I need 10 people able to commit to 3 posts per day in a section. You might have to do a little research, do a little digging, pop over to another site and snoop for a couple topics. And lets plant new seed and water and fertilize it, and see if we can draw more lurkers in again. that'll be 30 more ppd, 300 more ppm, I estimate it'll boost the site by 100-150 ppd. This is a long haul exercise. 6 months, and the posts have to be sincere not "me too"'s.

Got 2 people so far, plus the mentors and mods.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm dealing with a snow emergency, spent most of the last 12 hrs shoveling, and fighting with 3 blowers trying to dig out from under 3 feet of snow. I'll be back to speed in a day or so.

Also, vB 4.1 looks to have been released so I'll check it out soon as I can.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
vB 4.1 is out, already 1 patch issued. I'll be doing some upgrades to my existing 4x sites next week, and if all goes well schedule MT for the big overhaul. Probably on a Sunday as that's our slowest day. Supposed to have some improved back end features to make it less painful a jump than expected. More info on that soon. Taking much of today off as my hands are swollen from the big dig out.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm seeing more posts and more new threads. Thank you for your efforts. It's greatly appreciated.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I can only speak for myself, I have a son trying to get to that highlevel in the sport of TKD that has sure slowed me down, also I have started 6 after school programs and that takes alot of time. Between trying to stay a float with job interviews for a fulltime job I just do not have enough time to post like I use to. When I had two hundred student at my school freedom was great no that I am down to 42, they afterschool program keeps me a float. Maybe 2011 will be a better year and I can become a post whore again.
icon10.gif

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think there is an art to writing posts that draw attention and responses. Too dry and everyone will just nod their heads and jump to the next thread. Too inflammatory and you're probably running afoul of one of the site rules.

:angel:

I have a few provocative topics that would be fun to write about, but I've notice many people can't abstract the anecdote or topic of discussion. It always has to turn into a "You're so wrong, do this way instead" deal. Human nature I suppose.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think there is an art to writing posts that draw attention and responses. Too dry and everyone will just nod their heads and jump to the next thread. Too inflammatory and you're probably running afoul of one of the site rules.

:angel:

I have a few provocative topics that would be fun to write about, but I've notice many people can't abstract the anecdote or topic of discussion. It always has to turn into a "You're so wrong, do this way instead" deal. Human nature I suppose.

Got a specific poster in mind? :lfao:

The Last Legionary

All warfare is based on deception.<br><b>nemo malu
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Forums grow or die by the activity of their members. More active members means more posts, which means more reasons for newbs and veterans to post. I rarely use the rep system, and don't use the thanks too often. I prefer to make the post. It helps the site grow. Yes, I post a lot of off topic, often incendiary, often bizarre things. But I get replies and reactions, and some of those threads have lasted days in activity. Use the site, grow the site, and the site helps you grow.

Ok, back to warp skimming before my nap.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have been involved in other things and it has been a month since my last visit and even longer since I have posted. I used to visit twice a day or more. Some of the more thought provoking members seem to have drifted away and the martial art threads seem to be less and less. Karate threads are less and Goju almost non existent. Even if an interesting thread develops it can be stopped in an instant by a 'knowledgeable' practitioner who kills the thread with definative statements that you may disagree with, but is it worth the effort of arguing? Then there are the threads that run in such a way that you would have to suspect that the member is trying to get to the 5000 post club in 6 months. Even if the topic is interesting you have to sort through so much drivel. I don't think that the forum is dying as such but that the quality of content has diminished in the time I have been a member. Then again, maybe it's my fault! :erg: