Yodelling offends praying Muslim... Yodeller must pay fine.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As Austria is possibly one of the most rascist countries in the world it doesn't surprise me that someone would yodel to annoy his Muslim neighbour. The fact the court have fined this guy means it may be moving in the right direction towards anti racsist behaviour.
http://www.coe.int/t/dghl/monitorin...leases/61-02_03_2010_Austria_en.asp#TopOfPage

"At the same time, racism in public discourse remains a worrying issue, in the absence of an adequate response by the authorities. Far-right political parties have openly exploited prejudice against minorities, immigrants, refugees, asylum seekers, Jews and Muslims and their statements have not been always condemned by mainstream political parties in a sufficiently strong manner. In addition, some media have contributed to creating an atmosphere of hostility against members of minority groups and asylum seekers"

http://ipsnews.net/news.asp?idnews=47483

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jörg_Haider

http://www.jpost.com/International/Article.aspx?id=195218&R=R4

PS hopes this helps to keep the post count up in the study :)

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It seems no one is capable of exercising a 'live and let live' philosophy. In many Middle Eastern countries, they stab Christian ministers and priests, burn down churches, persecute Jews. In some European and some places in America, they taunt, harass, desecrate and vandalize places of worship of Mosques and other non-Christian and Jewish religions. Each side uses the acts committed by the other side to 'prove' how awful 'those people' are.

It's nearly enough to make me into an atheist. Not because I don't believe in God, but because His followers - of whatever flavor - make me sick to my stomach. All ya'll. Muslims, Jews, Christians, the whole enchilada. You're nuts, you're freaking certifiable.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
If Austrians don't walk around yodelling all the time while wearing feathered caps and suspendered shorts, then everything I learned from The Price is Right is wrong.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If Austrians don't walk around yodelling all the time while wearing feathered caps and suspendered shorts, then everything I learned from The Price is Right is wrong.
Bob Barker deceived you.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It seems no one is capable of exercising a 'live and let live' philosophy. In many Middle Eastern countries, they stab Christian ministers and priests, burn down churches, persecute Jews. In some European and some places in America, they taunt, harass, desecrate and vandalize places of worship of Mosques and other non-Christian and Jewish religions. Each side uses the acts committed by the other side to 'prove' how awful 'those people' are.

It's nearly enough to make me into an atheist. Not because I don't believe in God, but because His followers - of whatever flavor - make me sick to my stomach. All ya'll. Muslims, Jews, Christians, the whole enchilada. You're nuts, you're freaking certifiable.

Well, it about sums it up.
My dad's motto is "I don't have a problem with HIM, it's the ground crew that bothers me"

ever thought of putting it on a bumper sticker?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It's actually little to do with religion, it's far more to do with 'difference'. Religion is the peg that rascism of this type is hung on but you'll find in reality that rascists don't care about how or even if you worship anything or one but do care that you aren't the same as them. They feel a superiority to lesser humans and fear that the lesser humans will either take over or will somehow harm them so they must destory the lesser people. We could all be atheists and agnostics but this wouldn't stop the rascism, it would just find another difference to persecute people with. The Nazis and now the neo Nazis have a big lists of people they want rid of and very few are because of religion, they want rid of black people for example who of course have many religions including various forms of Christianity, Judaism and Islam, many of course have no religion.
You need to look deeper than just blaming people for having a religion, the problem is a deep seated fear of different people, something that abolishing or outlawing religion isn't going to solve, education and acceptance may however.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's actually little to do with religion, it's far more to do with 'difference'. Religion is the peg that rascism of this type is hung on but you'll find in reality that rascists don't care about how or even if you worship anything or one but do care that you aren't the same as them. They feel a superiority to lesser humans and fear that the lesser humans will either take over or will somehow harm them so they must destory the lesser people. We could all be atheists and agnostics but this wouldn't stop the rascism, it would just find another difference to persecute people with. The Nazis and now the neo Nazis have a big lists of people they want rid of and very few are because of religion, they want rid of black people for example who of course have many religions including various forms of Christianity, Judaism and Islam, many of course have no religion.
You need to look deeper than just blaming people for having a religion, the problem is a deep seated fear of different people, something that abolishing or outlawing religion isn't going to solve, education and acceptance may however.

That is sadly true. It does not matter much what the hangup is.
However: religion, organized religion had a huge impact on developing that mindset.

And it goes back a long way, in antiquity you did not adhere to the national believe you were perceived as an active thread to the common good by angering the gods.

making segments of the population out to be the scape goats for difficult events has not helped that any, be it the burning of Rome or the plague.

Religion is a common galvinizer, not to mention it also lays the foundation in many ways for minute self worth and appreciation in many followers, also one piece of the puzzle why religion is always somewhere in the hate mix.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The sooner we all blow ourselves to hell, the better. Bring on the eschaton, dammit.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The sooner we all blow ourselves to hell, the better. Bring on the eschaton, dammit.

Aw, sombody's a grumpy gus today. BTW eschaton? That's a new one to me! I surmise it means the end of all, since it has the same root as eschatology or branch of theology concerned with the "last days" and end of the world. Still it wasn't even in my dictionary. See how you guys make me smarter! Who woulda' thunk it?

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score

Nope. We need aliens. :)
As soon as we discover aliens, we'll unite like ying and yang halves in order to exploit them to the fullest measure of our capabilities. If they attacked us first, that would be even better, provided we can come out on top.

Nothing can make men stand together like a common threat.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nope. We need aliens. :)
As soon as we discover aliens, we'll unite like ying and yang halves in order to exploit them to the fullest measure of our capabilities. If they attacked us first, that would be even better, provided we can come out on top.

Nothing can make men stand together like a common threat.

*hurm*

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Aw, sombody's a grumpy gus today. BTW eschaton? That's a new one to me! I surmise it means the end of all, since it has the same root as eschatology or branch of theology concerned with the "last days" and end of the world. Still it wasn't even in my dictionary. See how you guys make me smarter! Who woulda' thunk it?

I had to google it. Looks like the proper phrase is "immanentize the eschaton". I don't know if I'm getting any smarter, but I'm knowing more.

:)