Is self-defence really necessary?

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've always see that the people who usually hype the dangers are those who live far away from danger. People who are often out of danger for the most part are the ones who don't want to move from their homes. People who are in the most danger are often those who can't wait to get out of the area. It's definitely an unusual type of behavior to me. People who live in safe areas talk the most bravado. People who live in dangerous areas talk less of it. Bravado in some places is an invitation to death.

That's how it was for me in Baltimore. I wasn't afraid, but I was very focus on not letting my mouth get me in trouble. I pretty much talk this way when giving advice about certain areas. If you go to this area don't do A and look out for B. If you go to this other area look out for C and always make sure you have enough gas to drive through the area, don't stop for gas in that areas.

One of the easiest ways to get targeted is too look like you don't belong in the areas. That whole "You look lost" vibe should be avoided in some areas.
When I was a kid, the difference between safety and danger was sometimes just one street away. The worst gang danger was the police. If I had a choice to walk by loitering police or loitering Rolling 20s Crips, I would choose the crips every time. My choice might be different now, but at the time there was no question who was more likely to abuse you.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've always see that the people who usually hype the dangers are those who live far away from danger. People who are often out of danger for the most part are the ones who don't want to move from their homes. People who are in the most danger are often those who can't wait to get out of the area. It's definitely an unusual type of behavior to me. People who live in safe areas talk the most bravado. People who live in dangerous areas talk less of it. Bravado in some places is an invitation to death.

That's how it was for me in Baltimore. I wasn't afraid, but I was very focus on not letting my mouth get me in trouble. I pretty much talk this way when giving advice about certain areas. If you go to this area don't do A and look out for B. If you go to this other area look out for C and always make sure you have enough gas to drive through the area, don't stop for gas in that areas.

One of the easiest ways to get targeted is too look like you don't belong in the areas. That whole "You look lost" vibe should be avoided in some areas.
The thing is fighting wont always help you in these places. You fight and win, you get shot later… that’s how high school was. You can’t just give up your stuff either. If you do that you will get robbed everyday. i dont know if it is still like that now, but it was serious business navigating the hood back then.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The thing is fighting wont always help you in these places. You fight and win, you get shot later… that’s how high school was. You can’t just give up your stuff either. If you do that you will get robbed everyday. i dont know if it is still like that now, but it was serious business navigating the hood back then.
It's still like that thst. Give them an inch and they'll take a mile.

I don't know if the get shot later has changed. My guess it either changed to Get Shot Now or if people just take that loss. I've been out of the hood for a while now. I don't miss it

Last edited:

Badhabits

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Aw man, I live about a half mile from from a MLKJR Blvd, regularly hike remote trails, and my work takes me to questionable places. I'm screwed lol. I also spend time at boat landings which tend to be great ambush points and bad stuff happens at those. Was at a remote boat landing once and a guy ran out of the woods and showed me his knife demanding to let him in my car. I let him. Literally stood maybe twenty feet away watching him rifle through the bunch of nothing valuable in there until he finally ran back into the woods with nothing. Idiot. I had a pistol on me, but he never had to know it since he kindly gave me room to move away from the car and didn't try to hurt me. Happy ending for both of us. Hiking trails, I'll usually have my big pointy eared dog as well as being armed, along with a muzzle so the dog can't bite emergency personell in case I get injured. Same with going to questionable job sites.
Self defense may not be necessary, but I think it's prudent for some people like myself that spend time in areas where ambush especially is a real possibility and does happen. Not talking about getting in a fight, but straight up criminal ambush. I really don't want to have to use a weapon if at all possible. Martial arts can provide another option in your layers of preparedness. If you have family that depends on you there's kind of an obligation to make it home alive so more options is better!

gyoja

2nd Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aw man, I live about a half mile from from a MLKJR Blvd, regularly hike remote trails, and my work takes me to questionable places. I'm screwed lol. I also spend time at boat landings which tend to be great ambush points and bad stuff happens at those. Was at a remote boat landing once and a guy ran out of the woods and showed me his knife demanding to let him in my car. I let him. Literally stood maybe twenty feet away watching him rifle through the bunch of nothing valuable in there until he finally ran back into the woods with nothing. Idiot. I had a pistol on me, but he never had to know it since he kindly gave me room to move away from the car and didn't try to hurt me. Happy ending for both of us. Hiking trails, I'll usually have my big pointy eared dog as well as being armed, along with a muzzle so the dog can't bite emergency personell in case I get injured. Same with going to questionable job sites.
Self defense may not be necessary, but I think it's prudent for some people like myself that spend time in areas where ambush especially is a real possibility and does happen. Not talking about getting in a fight, but straight up criminal ambush. I really don't want to have to use a weapon if at all possible. Martial arts can provide another option in your layers of preparedness. If you have family that depends on you there's kind of an obligation to make it home alive so more options is better!
You are a better man than me. I would have shot him.

gyoja

2nd Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I was a kid, the difference between safety and danger was sometimes just one street away. The worst gang danger was the police. If I had a choice to walk by loitering police or loitering Rolling 20s Crips, I would choose the crips every time. My choice might be different now, but at the time there was no question who was more likely to abuse you.
Around here, you are more likely to get mauled by a four legged threat than a two legged one. One good thing about a small town is that you know the LEOs. I taught a seminar last year to the SO swat team.

Badhabits

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Gyoja, this guy literally stayed a few feet away held the knife up and told me to move away from the car. He didn't even tell me to give him what was in my pockets or wallet or anything. I'm not going to blast somebody if life or limb isn't on the line, it wouldn't have been right to shoot the guy at that point.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
There aren’t any trails, remote or otherwise, where MLKJR blvd is in my old neighborhood. Wait, maybe blood trails…

gyoja

2nd Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gyoja, this guy literally stayed a few feet away held the knife up and told me to move away from the car. He didn't even tell me to give him what was in my pockets or wallet or anything. I'm not going to blast somebody if life or limb isn't on the line, it wouldn't have been right to shoot the guy at that point.
Opinions vary

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I assisted teaching a seminar to Fifty Crips back in the day in L.A.

It was chaperoned by a dozen men who had been members of the Crips when they were younger.

It, was in a word, interesting.

Latest Discussions