Ran first marathon and am crushed!! Advice needed...

lenjee

White Belt
Reaction score
As the title says, ran my first marathon Saturday. And I use the word "ran" loosely....

99.9% of my training was on our treadmill, with maximum weekly mileage topping out at 39 miles. My goal was to finish in under 4 hours. We started at 6:00 am and everything was awesome for the first half (1:50)...then around mile 15 the wheels fell off!!! My quads started to feel pretty destroyed and around mile 19ish my right hamstring started to lock up if I ran...
So I walked the last 6 plus miles. Finish time 5:03...demoralizing :-(

My question, is outdoor running that much harder on the body than the treadmill?? (Sole F80)
I took a cliff gel every 20 minutes just as I had done all through training (longest runs were 20 and 22 miles) so I don't think it was a nutrition issue. Am I wrong?
Endurance felt awesome the whole way through...the legs just started to betray me!!

If it matters...45 year old, 6'0" 185...primarily do sprint Tri's but wanted a challenge this off season. Longest run race before was Half marathons...have done several over the years.

Any insight would be great, as I "may" decide to run another of these awful soul depleting races!

OP
L

lenjee

White Belt
Reaction score
As the title says, ran my first marathon Saturday. And I use the word "ran" loosely....

99.9% of my training was on our treadmill, with maximum weekly mileage topping out at 39 miles. My goal was to finish in under 4 hours. We started at 6:00 am and everything was awesome for the first half (1:50)...then around mile 15 the wheels fell off!!! My quads started to feel pretty destroyed and around mile 19ish my right hamstring started to lock up if I ran...
So I walked the last 6 plus miles. Finish time 5:03...demoralizing :-(

My question, is outdoor running that much harder on the body than the treadmill?? (Sole F80)
I took a cliff gel every 20 minutes just as I had done all through training (longest runs were 20 and 22 miles) so I don't think it was a nutrition issue. Am I wrong?
Endurance felt awesome the whole way through...the legs just started to betray me!!

If it matters...45 year old, 6'0" 185...primarily do sprint Tri's but wanted a challenge this off season Marathon Europe 2024. Longest run race before was Half marathons...have done several over the years.

Any insight would be great, as I "may" decide to run another of these awful soul depleting races!
thanks in advance fo any help

Hot Lunch

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes, but you are also more likely to run longer distances, for two reasons.

1. The scenery does not change on a treadmill. You're staring at the same four walls the entire time. It's easy to get bored with it. This is not a problem when running outdoors.

2. Whatever the distance is away from your home that you've run, you've committed yourself to running twice that distance. If you run three miles from your house, you've committed yourself to six miles because you have to run three more miles towards the direction of your house in order to get back home. When you run on a treadmill, there is no such commitment. You can stop the treadmill and get off any time you want.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Why are you asking a martial art site? Wouldn't a running site make more sense? If I wanted advice on making a cake, I wouldn't ask on a BBQ cooking site.

But then again, running can be a good strategy in self-defense.

Hot Lunch

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'll also add a third:

3. You're required to keep up with the exact speed setting of the treadmill, instead of running at natural human pace that can be varied at will. At least for me, this is an additional form of exertion in its own right that will tire me out sooner than running outdoors.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most treadmills run the belt under your feet. You are not pushing your weight forward but merely moving you legs and arms and bobbing up and down. This is unlike running where you have to actually propel your weight along. Treadmills are also quite cushioned compared to tarmac pounding which reduces bodily stress. Some suggest that angling the treadmill upward at 4 degrees or more makes the experience more realistic but in my my experience road running is much harder than treadmill running and so better training for a marathon.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Outdoor running is much better than indoor treadmills running. You can treat it as fun than treat it as hard work.

After my 1st Marathon, I tried to run the "iron man challenge (50 miles?)" that go down the south rim of Grand Canyon and come up the northern rim. I didn't do that after all (I switched to triathlon instead).

MuayJitsu

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Get off the treadmill get on the roads. Treadmills are fine for general fitness but if you’re looking for a marathon they’re not helpful much. When you're road running you don’t have a set pace your pace will change whether intentionally or not also you’ll have uphills and down hills to deal with and different weather conditions and ground conditions. Plus corners and turns all of this may not sound much but it all makes a difference

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Latest Discussions