Is self-defence really necessary?

OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the Toronto area of Canada. The answer is yes. I believe. I normally keep myself out of situations I would need it. However I would like to be able to protect my wife and myself, even to have a hail Mary chance of doing it.
Iā€™ve always viewed Canada as being a lovely peaceful placeā€¦somewhere Iā€™d like to live!

Bujingodai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Not in this part. It's a cesspit. And not any longer. I'll be retiring in 12 years and making a plan to leave. If that is feesable.

MetalBoar

Black Belt
Reaction score
Iā€™ve always viewed Canada as being a lovely peaceful placeā€¦somewhere Iā€™d like to live!
Lots of people feel this way and I really like Canada and Canadians myself. Also, the last time I had to defend myself from physical violence it was in Canada, right around 1996!

Taiji Rebel

Black Belt
Reaction score
It's funny how we are influenced to see certain areas of the world as peaceful. Reminds me of those people who talk about nature as a place of beauty. You know the types who tend to focus on the beautiful blue skies, rainbows and calm lakes, whilst forgetting about the dark clouds, tsunamis and venomous snakes.

gyoja

2nd Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's funny how we are influenced to see certain areas of the world as peaceful. Reminds me of those people who talk about nature as a place of beauty. You know the types who tend to focus on the beautiful blue skies, rainbows and calm lakes, whilst forgetting about the dark clouds, tsunamis and venomous snakes.
You mean the fun stuff?

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lot of newbies posting questions on here cite self-defence as a major reason to start the martial arts. My question is if there are lots of attacks, muggings etc in the USA (this is predominantly an American board) that require you to be able to defend yourself? I have never met anyone whoā€™s been attack or mugged although Iā€™ve heard of bar room scuffles after drinking too much.

Is the USA a particularly violent place to live?
The USA is a big place, very diverse. Most of it is as safe as anyplace in the world and the rest is safer than that. There are pockets of high crime in many major cities and some of them are more dangerous than others. But even in the worst of them (Chicago arguably) regular folks go about life unmolested every day.

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
Haha, actually nature will kill you every chance it gets. Rather live next to a motorcycle gang than be naked and lost in the Rocky Mountains. I saw The Revenant, you canā€™t fool me šŸ˜œ

OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haha, actually nature will kill you every chance it gets. Rather live next to a motorcycle gang than be naked and lost in the Rocky Mountains. I saw The Revenant, you canā€™t fool me šŸ˜œ
Last summer I saw astronaut, Chris Hadfield talking about his career. He said the whole time he was on the ISS he was thinking, ā€˜Whatā€™s the next thing or action I perform than could kill me and how do I avoid it?ā€™ Imagine spending six months like that!šŸ˜³

gyoja

2nd Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last summer I saw astronaut, Chris Hadfield talking about his career. He said the whole time he was on the ISS he was thinking, ā€˜Whatā€™s the next thing or action I perform than could kill me and how do I avoid it?ā€™ Imagine spending six months like that!šŸ˜³
I can relate! Kind of like disarming a bomb šŸ¤”

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Like growing up in South Central Los Angeles in the 1980s.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Lot of newbies posting questions on here cite self-defence as a major reason to start the martial arts. My question is if there are lots of attacks, muggings etc in the USA (this is predominantly an American board) that require you to be able to defend yourself? I have never met anyone whoā€™s been attack or mugged although Iā€™ve heard of bar room scuffles after drinking too much.

Is the USA a particularly violent place to live?
Depends on where you live. There are safe areas within a city and then there are some really bad areas that you just want you avoid at all cost.

To answer your question. The US is safer than what most people outside the country think and its more dangerous than what most people think. The US is just a really large country and the difference between danger zone and safety zone can literally be a block away. I'm not sure if my description helps or not. It's just really difficult lump all of the US as Safe Country vs Dangerous Country.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Depends on where in the USA. Some places are extremely dangerous and others are very safe. Sometimes those places are in the same city only a few miles away.
LOL funny. I should have read your through all of these post first. I just typed the same thing.. If I had to give some advice to avoid the dangerous areas, I would say avoid the areas where it looked as if hope went there to die. Avoid the areas where it looks like a lot of people like to drink, and avoid the areas where no one can hear you scream. (I know in Georgia, women like to run on trails like that alone). For me personally, I don't mess with trails like that. I'll get on them if I'm with family or friends, but I don't do the solo thing on the trails. Just for safety reason if I get hurt where I can't move or have trouble moving, then I don't want to be on a trail that is so unused that no one will find me. For those same reasons, I wouldn't want to be so far out in the country that if I got hurt and family weren't around, that I would just have accept that I might die that day. If a trip to the Hospital requires a Helicopter then I'm too far away from people. lol.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Agree that most are. Itā€™s an odd thing to me that many Americans believe there is more danger than is real, and many other Americans believe that the dangers of some places are over hyped. I have lived in both realities. I know of a couple places where I could drop off a real tough guy that will find out how tough he isnā€™t in short order.
I've always see that the people who usually hype the dangers are those who live far away from danger. People who are often out of danger for the most part are the ones who don't want to move from their homes. People who are in the most danger are often those who can't wait to get out of the area. It's definitely an unusual type of behavior to me. People who live in safe areas talk the most bravado. People who live in dangerous areas talk less of it. Bravado in some places is an invitation to death.

Like growing up in South Central Los Angeles in the 1980s.
That's how it was for me in Baltimore. I wasn't afraid, but I was very focus on not letting my mouth get me in trouble. I pretty much talk this way when giving advice about certain areas. If you go to this area don't do A and look out for B. If you go to this other area look out for C and always make sure you have enough gas to drive through the area, don't stop for gas in that areas.

One of the easiest ways to get targeted is too look like you don't belong in the areas. That whole "You look lost" vibe should be avoided in some areas.