Is kiai necessary?

Zoltan97

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Since I'm a judoka I may be using the wrong word (say sorry) but in taekwondo is kiai (shouting) necessary or optional? I was considering joining my college's club but am a little weary since I'm the shy/quiet type.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Since I'm a judoka I may be using the wrong word (say sorry) but in taekwondo is kiai (shouting) necessary or optional? I was considering joining my college's club but am a little weary since I'm the shy/quiet type.
Kihap is the word, and yes, you will be encouraged to do it. It will feel weird at first but soon it becomes part of your everyday habit in training.

Taekwondo is not about what you are, it is about becoming. You might be shy now, but that will change with time and patience. Good luck.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Gnarlie is right, you will get used to it, no one in the class will think it strange you are a little wary to start with, everyone feels like this until it becomes instinctive, then you'll wonder why you were worried. Kiai is the Japanese word we use in karate, kihap is the Korean used in TKD.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's weird and unnatural at first. After a little while it becomes weird and unnatural not to do it.

If kiai feels weird, imagine having to say Osu in response to practically everything. I started out in a Kyokushin offshoot, and Osu meant just about everyting. I'm currently in Seido Juku, in which our founder was one of the top Kyokushin fighters and teachers. No escaping the Osu for me. At this point, it wouldn't feel like karate without it.

Kenposcholar

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Using the Kiai will force you to be less shy/quiet. I assume that joining the club is, in part, to branch out and be less shy so it will be a good thing. In martial arts & self-defense it is also useful for increasing power as well as startling opponents. Not all schools make the Kiai a requirements, however.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Kiai is not necessary and many schools do not do it.
However, if you train in a school where that is done, then expect to kiai.

If you don't like it, then you can find a different school.

Kenposcholar

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Kiai is not necessary and many schools do not do it.
However, if you train in a school where that is done, then expect to kiai.

If you don't like it, then you can find a different school.

↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑
THIS

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A kiai is a spirit yell as they say. Serves many purposes. At least one of them is to ensure the student is breathing while doing kata. You'd be surprised how many hold their breath while doing kata.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A kiai is a spirit yell as they say. Serves many purposes. At least one of them is to ensure the student is breathing while doing kata. You'd be surprised how many hold their breath while doing kata.
It's the same as to say "kill" in battle field. It's similar to "If I'll die, I'm going to take you with me". It not only gives you commitment, it also give you courage. Of course not holding your breath is important too. Most weight lifters will know that. Whether you make a loud sound, or just exhale won't make that much difference.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll tell you that nearly everyone is self-conscious about kiai (autocorrected to "Kia's", then to"kiwi") at first. You get used to it fast, because nobody else pays any attention to you doing it.

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
For what it's worth, some authors say that the kihap doesn't provide energy. Instead, the cause-and-effect is the other way around: you've built up a bunch of energy, and now that makes you want to yell. The kihap is the expression of the energy you've already built up, not the source of the energy.

Some students will erroneously kihap at the end of poomsae where it's not called for; that's what I tell them: it's okay, it just shows you finished with a burst of energy.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Using the Kiai will force you to be less shy/quiet. I assume that joining the club is, in part, to branch out and be less shy so it will be a good thing. In martial arts & self-defense it is also useful for increasing power as well as startling opponents. Not all schools make the Kiai a requirements, however.

Those are the things I was taught about the kiai/kihap. It increased one's focus of power, and if it startled an opponent in the process, that didn't hurt anything either. I don't think all arts believe in using the kiai.

It isn't so much different from yelling during a charge of when lifting a heavy weight. No reason for shyness, but if it crops up, and already mentioned, it will go away soon enough.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kihap has several purposes. 1. Trigger the startle reflex in the opponent. 2. Tightens the diaphragm in case you are hit. Put your fingers on your diaphragm , press lightly and yell. You should feel it tense. 3. Has you exhale on the exertion. No different than many athletic activities. 4. Done without intensity but as a signal to indicate you are ready to begin, or about to begin. One of my pet peeves is to hear someone shout "Kihap" which is the equivelant of shouting "Yell".

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Keep in mind that your voice is a weapon, as well as your hands, feet and brain. In a self-defense situation, the more noise you make, the more likely it is that your attacker will disengage.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those are the things I was taught about the kiai/kihap. It increased one's focus of power, and if it startled an opponent in the process, that didn't hurt anything either. I don't think all arts believe in using the kiai.

It isn't so much different from yelling during a charge of when lifting a heavy weight. No reason for shyness, but if it crops up, and already mentioned, it will go away soon enough.
There is another supposed benefit. Yelling is supposed to help break the "freeze" response when it's borne of indecision. So, if you kiai when you block a strike, that gets you moving. I've never looked for support for this. I'm used to the kiai (we kiai rather a lot), and it makes sure the student doesn't hold their breath on a fall - more important than when striking.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kihap has several purposes. 1. Trigger the startle reflex in the opponent. 2. Tightens the diaphragm in case you are hit. Put your fingers on your diaphragm , press lightly and yell. You should feel it tense. 3. Has you exhale on the exertion. No different than many athletic activities. 4. Done without intensity but as a signal to indicate you are ready to begin, or about to begin. One of my pet peeves is to hear someone shout "Kihap" which is the equivelant of shouting "Yell".
One interesting note on #2. While it does do that, and that helps a bit if you are struck in the abdomen, a Ryukyu Kempo instructor showed me how much more effective it is to push you belly out to meet the punch. Startling difference.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There is another school of thought on the kiai - don't let your opponent hear you breathe, as they can time their strikes according to it. If you get hit in the chest/abdomen at the end of your exhale, it can knock the wind out of you.

My thought - first learn to breathe properly, which IMO involves kiai at the right time, then learn to not kiai properly. Kinda like they say in photography - learn the rules of photography, use them religiously, then learn when and how to break them properly.

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
“Learn-the-rules-like-a-pro-so-you-can-break-them-like-an-artist.”-3.png

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
There is another supposed benefit. Yelling is supposed to help break the "freeze" response when it's borne of indecision. So, if you kiai when you block a strike, that gets you moving. I've never looked for support for this. I'm used to the kiai (we kiai rather a lot), and it makes sure the student doesn't hold their breath on a fall - more important than when striking.

Absolutely so, for those arts that teach kiai when doing break falls. When I studied TKD, we didn't learn break falls.

Latest Discussions