Is it cool nowadays to bring out your own "improved" version of Wing Chun?

kehcorpz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Check out these 2 clips here. Both arts supposedly are based on improved wing chun stuff and maybe also mixing it with other
elements from martial arts.

I think that this stuff looks pretty crappy and not like wing chun at all.
I mean simply by looking at it I feel like this stuff sucks. It doesn't have the appeal of wing chun.

The philosophy of wing chun is simplicity. It makes no sense to introduce fancy kicks and stuff like that like they
do in the second video.

Btw, the guy in the first video somehow creeps me out with his Jack Torrance kinda look.
Check out his face at 0:34 this is pure gold lol.

This stuff seems like it's optimal if you want to break as many of your own bones as possible.
But it sounds really cool and impressive when you hear them smash their arms against each other....

These weird arm movements they do during this drill in the second clip also look pretty retarded imo. I think I couldn't even do this without
starting to laugh.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Don't know. I would have to go hands on to judge. and they either have a method or they don't.

anerlich

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Many of the arm movements seem unnecessary flowery and the exchanges seem deliberately designed to go on way longer than they need to for dramatic effect. And yeah, the face pulling might be a bit OTT.

That often happens with demonstrations. These are a form of advertising, and part of marketing is finding a point of difference for your product.

As drop bear said, these clips don't necessarily preclude these guys from being able to fight with the simple moves you hold so dear.

OP
K

kehcorpz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
But if they already make suboptimal moves in the demonstration video then this isn't really smart.

Anyway, I think this stuff looks really uninteresting. I'd not even want to watch videos where they fight like this.

Wing chun looks much more interesting and sophisticated.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How about you actually start training in something? You can't keep watching videos and pretending you know anything about martial arts. You keep saying you want to train but when are you going to start?

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
But if they already make suboptimal moves in the demonstration video then this isn't really smart.

Anyway, I think this stuff looks really uninteresting. I'd not even want to watch videos where they fight like this.

You know what isn't smart? Sitting on your lazy **** watching videos and pepper sparying yourself. What right do you have to cristsise other people who've been training for years and have forgotten more than you'll ever know and you've not even taken 1 class. Either grow a pair and go train or stop trying to sound like you know more than people who actually have the balls to train.

OP
K

kehcorpz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I would already have started to take lessons if you did not have to sign in for 12 months. Almost all schools have this requirement!

If I could just quit any time then I could just check out all kinds of things without much risk. But signing in for 12 months really really bothers me.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would already have started to take lessons if you did not have to sign in for 12 months. Almost all schools have this requirement!

If I could just quit any time then I could just check out all kinds of things without much risk. But signing in for 12 months really really bothers me.
Yeap...
wants no responsibility, no commitment, no loyalty on his end with his decision for where to train but is going to make demands about it on the instructor's end.

OP
K

kehcorpz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Loyalty? Are you kidding?

If I find out a school sucks then I dont want to have to stay there and pay for 12 months. Then I want to be able to gtfoot and quit at the end of the month.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Loyalty? Are you kidding?

If I find out a school sucks then I dont want to have to stay there and pay for 12 months. Then I want to be able to gtfoot and quit at the end of the month.
Look not all schools are like that so don't pretend they are fact is you won't start because you're afraid, you're a little whiner who complains about everything you'd never stick it out even if you did start. Find a new interest because martial arts aren't for you

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I should have known better than to read this thread.:banghead:

Marnetmar

Black Belt
Reaction score

Here's an idea.

People who have never attended a Wing Chun class in their life, should not tell other people how to do Wing Chun.

MAfreak

Purple Belt
Reaction score
yes, it is. and mixing up with other styles techniques is always a good thing.
good example again:

anerlich

Brown Belt
Reaction score

Oh, ********. That's a business model guaranteed to fail. Most schools offer at least monthly and many offer casual classes. Many people work schedules these days where they need flexibility, and just about every place I train at offers such options. Unless you live in Bumf*ck, Idaho or somewhere where they are the only MA school within 30 miles.

If you've never trained, you are in no position to judge.

guy b

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Almost all schools have this requirement!

No they don't. Most will allow you pay monthly or by session attended. If they are asking for 12 months membership then don't join, it is designed to fleece you, not teach fighting.

If this is all you have around you then don't do martial arts.

Instead join a sport fighting club teaching boxing, MT, wrestling or judo. None of these will ask for 12 month contracts and all will teach you more useful fighting skills than silly 12 month membership kung fu clubs.

You can then stop hanging around kung fu forums whining about your unfortunate situation

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
kehcorpz said:
Is it cool nowadays to bring out your own "improved" version of Wing Chun?

It's always been cool to do so. It's been happening probably as long as Wing Chun has existed. The only thing different in previous generations is that it was more fashionable to assert that your new version of WC was the true original version and all other versions were watered down imitations.

I think that this stuff looks pretty crappy and not like wing chun at all.
I mean simply by looking at it I feel like this stuff sucks. It doesn't have the appeal of wing chun.

Until you actually get some first hand experience and training, your opinions on the subject aren't worth a whole lot.

Where are you located? In general, most schools do not require a 12-month commitment, although many offer a better deal on pricing if you do sign up for such a plan.

OP
K

kehcorpz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
No they don't. Most will allow you pay monthly or by session attended. If they are asking for 12 months membership then don't join, it is designed to fleece you, not teach fighting.

But I checked out the schools in my region and they all do this! I mean if others do it they also do it.

This is like buying a used car without knowing if it actually works. Argh.

I don't think I will do this. I simply won't approve these rip off tactics.

Do you know what one school wrote is the "explanation" for having to sign on 12 months?

They wrote that learning a martial art requires time and you cannot just learn it in a few weeks.

How retarded is this?!

Learning to play guitar also takes a long time and I still don't have to sign on for 12 months or longer.

Silly explanations like this one totally prove that they are all about money and blackmail.

guy b

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
But I checked out the schools in my region and they all do this! I mean if others do it they also do it.

This is like buying a used car without knowing if it actually works. Argh.

I don't think I will do this. I simply won't approve these rip off tactics.

Do you know what one school wrote is the "explanation" for having to sign on 12 months?

They wrote that learning a martial art requires time and you cannot just learn it in a few weeks.

How retarded is this?!

Learning to play guitar also takes a long time and I still don't have to sign on for 12 months or longer.

Silly explanations like this one totally prove that they are all about money and blackmail.

What is your location?

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
But I checked out the schools in my region and they all do this!

You have four possibilities to choose from:

1. Search and find somebody (maybe not even teaching commercially) who doesn't follow this business model and train with them.

2. Failing that, accept that this is the way things are done where you live, pay for 12 months, train for a year and learn as much as you can.

3. Forget martial arts and take up another hobby.

4. Keep watching Youtube, continue posting on this forum about how unfair life is and convince all of us to hate you.

Personally, I went with option 1. In your case I'd recommend option three. Please don't choose option 4. ;)

Latest Discussions