Is it cool nowadays to bring out your own "improved" version of Wing Chun?

WcForMe

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
So let me get this right op, you have writings from schools in ur area? Havnt taken the time to ring them, ask if you could pop down and speak to them in person and or check out a class? Most schools offer the first lesson free or half price to my knowledge before any speak of a contract.

Secondly as all have pointed out you can't go looking on YouTube at various wing chun or martial art videos in general and then say that's not right or correct if you have never done a days training in your life.

I'm sure after a few classes you will understand it takes a lifetime of hard work and a disaplined, focused mind to come close to some sifus and people. Body unity is hard work, structure is hard work, gor sau or sparring for any length of time is hard work. I love wing chun but respect any martial art because 9/10 they also have something to offer. YouTube is the best and worst showcases but also mislabelled videos ever.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
OP, I noticed in another thread you talked about prices in Euro. Are you in mainland Europe?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But I checked out the schools in my region and they all do this! I mean if others do it they also do it.

This is like buying a used car without knowing if it actually works. Argh.

I don't think I will do this. I simply won't approve these rip off tactics.

Do you know what one school wrote is the "explanation" for having to sign on 12 months?

They wrote that learning a martial art requires time and you cannot just learn it in a few weeks.

How retarded is this?!

Learning to play guitar also takes a long time and I still don't have to sign on for 12 months or longer.

Silly explanations like this one totally prove that they are all about money and blackmail.
Since in all of your previous posts, you've never mentioned actually talking to someone, I am doubtful that you've done so with every school. If you haven't talked with them, you don't know if you have options not listed on their website.

You've been griping about the 12-month thing since the first time you posted it. If you don't want to sign up for 12 months, ask for other options. If you can't find other options, you're in the only place I've ever heard of where all the schools have only annual plans.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Judging by his English, the OP is in the north of Germany. I'd guess Bremen or Schleswig Holstein or similar. In my experience in Deutschland there are plenty of non-commercial clubs practicing MA in rented halls, where you pay monthly, weekly or even by the class. Dude needs to do better google-fu or maybe even ask around at local commercial clubs if they know of anything in the area that does not require a contract. Unlikely to happen though.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

OP
K

kehcorpz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Judging by his English, the OP is in the north of Germany. I'd guess Bremen or Schleswig Holstein

lol! I wasn't aware that they are different styles of English depending on which region you live in.

@ gpseymour

When I ask in an email if you have to sign in for 12 months and he replies yes then i highly doubt that I can convince him otherwise
when i go there. Also I won't try this cause if he says no it would be awkward. It would show weakness on my part and then I couldn't go
this school anyway.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
. Also I won't try this cause if he says no it would be awkward. It would show weakness on my part and then I couldn't go
this school anyway.

Dude, you really need to find a different hobby! With an attitude like that all you are going to find in martial arts is trouble.

OP
K

kehcorpz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
With an attitude like that all you are going to find in martial arts is trouble.

Why? Cause I don't want to make a fool out of me by begging a stranger for something?!

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Dude, you really need to find a different hobby!

KPM, martial arts are not this guy's hobby. Over the several months he's been posting, all he's done is invent reasons why he shouldn't train the martial arts. He prefers to watch youtube and comment on things he doesn't understand. Either that or he's just a troll yanking people's chain.

Honestly, after reading his posts I find those "other guys" --you know, the "true believers" to be reasonable by comparison. At least they are knowledgeable, even if not so open minded!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lol! I wasn't aware that they are different styles of English depending on which region you live in.

Of course there are, different expressions, syntax, spellings etc make it reasonably easy to tell a lot of things about a writer, even quite often their gender.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh, ********. That's a business model guaranteed to fail. Most schools offer at least monthly and many offer casual classes.

Depends, most bigger schools are going to run off term memberships. Or if there is a month-to-month option it will cost significantly more. Schools are businesses and the instructors need to pay their bills. Having people come in for a month then leave for 2, then back for 1 more and then gone for 3 is bad for everyone. Gaining skill takes time and commitment.

That said most places are going to have some sort of trial membership. They are going to have online reviews. They are going to have a social media presence. And most will let you leave if you want too and have some sort of early cancellation policy.

It's pretty simple though, find a school that does what you want to do and has the same sort of members you are. A big kid based character focused school might be perfect for a 5 year old that needs to learn how to focus, but terrible for someone wanting practical self-defence. Any school that gets reasonably successful is probably doing "something" right though, but you can't join a soccer team and complain that you wanted to play hockey.

Look at what a school does, look at who they do it for. If it's what you want to do and who you want to be doing it with give it a try.

JPinAZ

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Why? Cause I don't want to make a fool out of me by begging a stranger for something?!

Again, where are you located? If you're serious about wanting to train, it shouldn't be a difficult thing to answer. I'm sure there are plenty of people here that would be able to point you in the right direction if you are really interested in finding a school. I mean, this is a wing chun forum with people posting from all over the world..