Is grappling better for female self defense than striking?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not in this particular case. She's knocked to the ground with the assailant on top of her. In that case, knowing ground fighting puts you in a better position than not knowing ground fighting.
Except when it doesn't. The unknowns and such.

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
You honestly believe that traditional striking arts train in that fashion? Maybe more modern sport styles like Boxing, but older Asian styles? I'm not seeing that out of them unless they've fully adapted to a kickboxing type of style.

Something you should be used to encountering if you attended a reputable grappling gym.

Except when you get blindsided and wind up on your back like this young lady.

And I would still argue that who don't know how to grapple have the bigger hole, since most people know how to naturally claw, pull hair, bite, slap, or kick someone in the groin.

lol we never see asian styles emphasize geting out of the way of the punch?

3:34

first part of nearly every move

1:54 he demonstrating strikes going from the outside of the attack.

Silver gloves does it all match

at 3:00 he steps out for a sweep

You keep saying that, but again, I've been to quite a few schools and met many many grapplers, 2 of which have strong ties to gracies (ones a relson academy) and very, very few never did it. The only ones who had any kind of grappling training against a ground and pound where the guys who competed in MMA.

A grappling style wouldnt have stopped her from being blindsided. If he wanted to kill instead of rape, he couldve, even if she was an 20 degree Grappling mega style master.

On that same note,

A LOT of basic wrestling is natural. You dont need training to:
1. Handfight defensively
2. Sprawl
3. Scramble
4. Stuff (I.e. rabbit punch or stiff arm)
5. Choke
6. Restrain
7. Squirm similar to shrimping

Now your next point will probably be "Nuh uh!" (which isnt true, hop on to youtube and watch bar/street fights, you'll see nearly everyone of those things from dang near everyone)

After that you'll probably say "Well that isnt effective striking anyways!"
Then again, neither is the "striking" you mentioned....thats why those are the last resort moves. Nobody teaches those as the first line of defense bub XD

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Does anyone here think that learning some ground fighting skills is a bad idea?

No, we've all said quite a few times the only way to really be effective is to have both in your arsenal!

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
it really isnt that difficult to be continuously aware

Anyone with a drivers liscense does it enough tto develop it as a skill

People just dont tend to keep track of everything like they do when they drive in other situations.

They just dont think and shut that awareness off

Challenge your friends to slice your throat with a nico pen for five buck a successful go over the next week.

And then come back to me about how consciously aware we all are.

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Challenge your friends to slice your throat with a nico pen for five buck a successful go over the next week.

Every summer we play "assassin" with ink and water. No safe zones.

Awareness isnt difficult.

If you do it when you drive,

you can do it when you walk.

People do it every single day in places like detroit, or any major city with rough neighborhoods.

Again, if youre able to keep track of all the other cars around you, pedestrians, signs, cones, crap in the road, etc.

You can keep track of where people are when you're walking XD

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

To continue my other point,

If youre assuming im saying awareness is the magic method youre not paying attention

Thats just the first line of defense.

You can still be mugged.

But your chances are a lot better when you didnt get snuck up on

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
To continue my other point,

If youre assuming im saying awareness is the magic method youre not paying attention

Thats just the first line of defense.

You can still be mugged.

But your chances are a lot better when you didnt get snuck up on

Most people treat it as such. And never test it.

As part of my job where people have been known to jump out at me or hide from me. I am a bit suspect to rely on it so much

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Most people treat it as such. And never test it.

As part of my job where people have been known to jump out at me or hide from me. I am a bit suspect to rely on it so much

What is your line of work?

I had thought you were a bouncer

Trying to keep tabs on the troublemakers while keeping an eye open on the rest of the bar was one of the first things I was told, although It was a short term thing for me to help pay for college, so Im not claiming thats something widely taught

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
What is your line of work?

I had thought you were a bouncer

Trying to keep tabs on the troublemakers while keeping an eye open on the rest of the bar was one of the first things I was told, although It was a short term thing for me to help pay for college, so Im not claiming thats something widely taught

Yeah bouncer,patrol man. Pretty much everything security. And yes awareness is exactly what I am employing.

And why I hold the effectiveness of it a bit suspect.

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah bouncer,patrol man. Pretty much everything security. And yes awareness is exactly what I am employing.

And why I hold the effectiveness of it a bit suspect.

Like I said, it isnt infalliable.

Cops, soldiers, forget to check corners sometimes and miss an assailiant/enemy

People forget to look and pull out into traffic.

But, fighting (be it SD or sport or whatever else) is a game of odds, pros, and cons.

If theres something you can do to give yourself better odds, you should imo

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
No, we've all said quite a few times the only way to really be effective is to have both in your arsenal!
Thank goodness. Based in the back and forth, I can't see it.

On another note, I think it's great how you give people credit for awareness when they drive. :)

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Thank goodness. Based in the back and forth, I can't see it.

On another note, I think it's great how you give people credit for awareness when they drive. :)

I think to many people stressing awareness make it sound like something that takes years of dedication and discipline, when our brains are totally hardwired for it already!

Making that connection makes a light bulb go off in peoples head in my experience

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I think to many people stressing awareness make it sound like something that takes years of dedication and discipline, when our brains are totally hardwired for it already!

Making that connection makes a light bulb go off in peoples head in my experience
I would say most people are on auto pilot while they drive. Add dis tractors, like cell phones, and I challenge you to find 1 out of 10 drivers who are active and aware at all times while behind the wheel. M

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I would say most people are on auto pilot while they drive. Add dis tractors, like cell phones, and I challenge you to find 1 out of 10 drivers who are active and aware at all times while behind the wheel. M

Maybe, but that just means keeping tabs on all those things has become natural.

If people werent keeping tabs, there roads would be far more dangerous then they already are.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You honestly believe that traditional striking arts train in that fashion? Maybe more modern sport styles like Boxing, but older Asian styles? I'm not seeing that out of them unless they've fully adapted to a kickboxing type of style.
But then you haven't seen much outside of your own little world have you? Aikido is off the line, Goju is off the line or are you including these in your 'modern' styles?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I do not agree with this statement. You can be absolutely effective, you can defend yourself quite handily without training in a grappling system.

It's not a bad idea to do so, but it is not essential.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Maybe, but that just means keeping tabs on all those things has become natural.

If people werent keeping tabs, there roads would be far more dangerous then they already are.
i really think you're jumping to an unsupportable conclusion here.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I do not agree with this statement. You can be absolutely effective, you can defend yourself quite handily without training in a grappling system.

It's not a bad idea to do so, but it is not essential.
And it's also possible to defend yourself quite handily with no striking training. Heck, it's possible to defend yourself without training at all. Doesn't mean it's a good idea.

And I'd say that there's a difference between something being a good idea, and not being a bad idea. Training in grappling p is more than just "not a bad idea.' I'd say it's a downright good idea to do so.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
And it's also possible to defend yourself quite handily with no striking training. Heck, it's possible to defend yourself without training at all. Doesn't mean it's a good idea.

And I'd say that there's a difference between something being a good idea, and not being a bad idea. Training in grappling p is more than just "not a bad idea.' I'd say it's a downright good idea to do so.
I understand that is why you train it. I do not. I have no interest in it. I'm not concerned by that.

Anyone who is interested in it, ought to train it. Anyone who is not interested in it should not buy into the hype that it is absolutely essential. It is not.

Latest Discussions