Is grappling better for female self defense than striking?

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If it's the first time you have heard of it, are you saying that somehow makes it less valid or relevant? Plenty of things I have only heard of for the first time and they turned out pretty sound.
...I am not envisioning some dude sitting on top of some fella and bashing the living socks out of him and while raining down his blows screaming in a high pitched voice "help me, someone, please help me! His face is hurting my hand! I can't stop hitting this poor guy! Make it stop!!!" That would be kinda sick/wrong (although possibly funny). : )

Well that's what I'm envisioning, and yeah it just doesn't make a lot of sense.

Seems like we're on the same page then on that one then about "screaming".

Although I don't understand what you mean when you say: "If I have someone under control, and I still feel that they're a threat, why not simply remove the threat?" Are you seeing and defining "control" as different to "remove"? There is certainly a big difference in my book! If so, if you are already in a choke/submission, which is "control" - what do you mean by remove?

I was under the impression that in this hypothetical situation I'm yelling for help because the guy under my control is still a threat to me. So why not just put the guy to sleep and then I don't have to worry about the threat anymore?

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Uh, why wouldn't I just immobilize them? If I have someone under control, and I still feel that they're a threat, why not simply remove the threat?
Hmmm, look I am the first one to say when you're faced with a threatening situation that you should o what you gotta do and do it right. But...you may well be getting into very, very murky territory from a "self defence" mitigant if you wind up in court, if you have had some guy in a submission, possibly for some time, and then "crack-o" pop his elbow, or something, especially if there are witnesses. I think that could go down less well than simply punching the guy outright and knocking him out on the immediate threat being presented.

May not seem fair but optics can go a long way on these things!

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It doesn't cost you anything to do. And it may help. So why wouldn't you do it. Regardless if you are winning or loosing.

Calling for help and the the effect it may have.

I mean why not?
Yikes, what a bleeder!! : )

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hmmm, look I am the first one to say when you're faced with a threatening situation that you should o what you gotta do and do it right. But...you may well be getting into very, very murky territory from a "self defence" mitigant if you wind up in court, if you have had some guy in a submission, possibly for some time, and then "crack-o" pop his elbow, or something, especially if there are witnesses. I think that could go down less well than simply punching the guy outright and knocking him out on the immediate threat being presented.

May not seem fair but optics can go a long way on these things!

I agree. My point is why scream for help when you can pummel, cripple, or put the guy to sleep? Seems like a waste of energy.

Obviously, how you finish off your would be assailant depends on your location. But yeah, sitting on top of someone and punching them in the face while you're screaming for help just seems like a bad comedy sketch.

Or it makes you look like a grade-A psycho.

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
better for legal delineation between victim and assailant

If you say so. Still won't catch me screaming for help if I have the upper hand in a street fight.

I doubt a woman would need that legal delineation though. Especially if she's smaller than her assailant.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
If you say so. Still won't catch me screaming for help if I have the upper hand in a street fight.

I doubt a woman would need that legal delineation though. Especially if she's smaller than her assailant.

Don't much care what you would do, don't much care about your opinion either

Latest Discussions