• No

• No opinion/Undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Will the Wing-Chun forum segregate into those who follow William Cheung and those who follow Leung Ting? ...and another for the different blends???

Will the Philipino Martial arts general segregate into: Escrima, Dumog, Balintawak, Arnis, Kali, Doce Pares, and many more?

Will the Karate forum be broken into ALL the different schools?
Okinawan?
Japanese?
Shuri-te, GoJu, Shorin, Shotokan, Ishin Ryu, Wado Ryu...
all different forums?

Think of the variety and different perspectives that wouldn't be shared.
This prospect disturbs me some.

Your Brother
John

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No offense or disrespect taken or given.......

Originally posted by Bro John
As a wise Kenpoist said recently, no one source has it all.

The discussion is just about "ADDING" a forum...... geeze you act like you are being left out of something......

From my perspective or opinion if you will, it just allows the freedom from having to explain from scratch, what the Web of Knowledge, 8 considerations, 3 divisions of the Art, Analytical Study of Motion, EP's Principles or Concepts, Universal Pattern, Forms, Sets, Techniques, yada yada, is to someone (in [some] "Ed Parker lineage" that does NOT or HAS NOT been taught it), because they never were taught by a Black Belt that actually trained under Ed Parker directly or even picked up a copy of the Infinite Insights and read for themselves what he outlined.

We can all learn from one another.

No doubt!! I agree totally..... but what does that have to do with a different room? You can still come in and frequent it....... there will be NO Blocked out controls!

Think of the variety and different perspectives that wouldn't be shared. This prospect disturbs me some.

Why wouldn't they? Again, you are not being silenced or left out..... just we would be more specific to the Mother Art Ed Parker Left and not an adaptation complete with different names and such....

Will the Wing-Chun forum segregate into those who follow William Cheung and those who follow Leung Ting? ...and another for the different blends???

Will the Philipino Martial arts general segregate into: Escrima, Dumog, Balintawak, Arnis, Kali, Doce Pares, and many more?

Will the Karate forum be broken into ALL the different schools? Okinawan? Japanese? Shuri-te, GoJu, Shorin, Shotokan, Ishin Ryu, Wado Ryu...
all different forums?

Come on........ let's not get SILLY!!!!!!!!!!!! First off look at the post count in the Kenpo section...... if the other forums had that many posts....... then sure they would possibly be split just the same...... Come on John....

With ALL due respect for you, your rank, your time and your history in the art Mr. Conaster...
I don't get it.

Well, as you say.....I "don't get it [you not understanding what I am saying] either!

:rofl:

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Anyone would be able to post in the resulting forum.

We would need a description that focused on what could be discussed, not who could do the discussing.

As to how to enforce topicality--I certainly couldn't split those hairs. I'd suggest having a judoka moderate it--someone demonstrable neutral. Give the person a suitable forum description and let him or her do his or her best to sort things out.

I understand why people would want this. It may be that a Hosted Forum is a better solution, but it may also be that this can be made to work. Can someone propose a description?

-Arnisador
-MT Admin-

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by MartialArtsGuy
I voted "yes". At this time I would like a moderator to subtract my vote from yes and make it one for "no" Thank you

This can be done. However, I haven't received a request like this before. We're discussing it now.

-Arnisador
-MT Admin-

don bohrer

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I voted yes, am not sure if it's good for MT. I think we should try it for three months. If it's more trouble than it's worth then rejoin it to the main Kenpo forum after the new year.

don

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by don bohrer
I think we should try it.

If after a period of time (what ever "Kaith" wants - remember HE owns the board!) he deems it not working or redundent or whatever, he reverts back to what we have now.

:asian:

Fastmover

Green Belt
Reaction score
If the good folks who created the forum decide to set up a
EPAK Kenpo forum, then I have a request.

It should be called, "TRADITIONAL ED PARKER KENPO."

WOW.............cough.............Hmmm!

S

Shiatsu

As if there isn't enough animosity and politics in kenpo already. The only person who taught EPAK was Ed Parker. Mr. Mills teachs his version, Doc Chapel teaches his version, Mr. Tatum teaches his, Mr. Pick teaches his and so on and so forth.

Obviously the kenpo police feel the need to alienate themselves, from other knowledgeable people on the art. :soapbox:

Bill Lear

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Fastmover
If the good folks who created the forum decide to set up a
EPAK Kenpo forum, then I have a request.

It should be called, "TRADITIONAL ED PARKER KENPO."

WOW.............cough.............Hmmm!

Why isn't Paul Mills Kenpo System worthy of his name. I know he's changed, forms, sets, and techniques for his guys... and they seem to work rather well for them. Why should Ed Parker accept responsibility for Mr. Mill's innovations? :confused:

S

Shiatsu

Do you know how many of the upper belts that GM Parker promoted have changed certain things? Yet they still call it EPAK or American kenpo. It is called respect:asian:

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I voted Yes and here is partly why.

I don't want to be in an EPAK themed thread but then have to stop and tell Touch of Death or anyone else that is supposed to know this system, that Ed Parker had a chapter in Infinite Insights Book One called "Chapter 11 Preparatory Considerations" which goes on to list Eight of them between page 101 and 112.

And I do find it offensive that someone would then come along and dispute that this is a documented fact.

I would like to be able to go to discuss my "System" somewhere that I can be reasonably sure the people I'm talking to are speaking my language. I don't think it is too much to ask for a forum on Ed Parker's American Kenpo to require people to be familar with or have access to Ed Parker's writings.

Part of the problem with such a forum of course is that Kenpo has become a term like Karate and Kung-Fu as some have mentioned, but which I think is something Mr. Parker wanted from at least the time he put up his sign reading "Kenpo Karate" instead of just "Karate."

Nevertheless, as this is a path frought with potentially unending problems. Perhaps the forum could be named, not "Traditional Ed Parker Kenpo" but "Academic Ed Parker Kenpo" and some criteria for discussing anything in the forum could be that any term, technique or move has to be

A. Traceable to Mr. Parker himself (or a First Generation Black Belt?)
AND
B. Documented in a Book or Video.

Even this will cause problems because I could still be in a discussion with a Kenpo 2000 and be lost because Mr. Hancock has published several videos that I have not seen.

I also don't know where thls would leave people like Martin Wheeler who was not graded by Mr. Parker but has published several videos which seem to be in accordance with EPAK from what little I know of Mr. Wheeler.

So a forum with some rules like this might allow higher level discussions between EPAK people if that is what the issue is, but I think this will be greatly dependent on The Moderator(s) and the Definition of what is acceptable in the forum.

I think that a testing period it should help clear this up.

I also think that such a thing will be a very great success if it is anywhere near as useful as Mr. Conatser's QnA thread which I treated in my mind like an EPAK forum now that I think of it.

Maybe make an EPAK forum and let Mr. C. moderate it. Or maybe I should just go back and post more over there, but it would be nice if something similar could be developed where Mr. C. was not the primary "target" for everyone's questions.

I don't mind meeting and posting with other people here online but I would like to be able to discuss Glancing Wing (for example) with someone without having to first A) Teach the technique and B) Teach the terminology, concepts and principles. I hope this is the sort of thing Clyde is driving at, I see the value in it and I see problems as well. I would hope that a closely moderated forum would shake out most of these issues during a testing period as Mr. C. mentioned earlier. I think the popularity and success of his "thread" has already proven the merits of an idea like this.

If all else fails, I will ask Clyde to start something similar, I don't think there is anything in the rules of MT that prevent him or anyone else from starting a thread with its own "rules/guidelines" such as those outlined above, is there?

OK. That's my 2 cents. Or 22 cents as the case may be.

:soapbox:

P

ProfessorKenpo

Screw it, it's not worth it. All I wanted was consideration for splitting of the KENPO/KEMPO to a more select group of individuals that speak the same language without having to explain what gaseous expansion is three times. F**k it. With all the different people posting here you'd think we were taking something away from them, and I for one don't want to see a bunch of crybabies from other groups getting their panties in a knot because they're not doing EPAK. God people, get your s**t together. I'll just post over on CanAm where they do have a specific forum for us.

Clyde

S

Shiatsu

Seems like the only person crying and throwing out name calling is you :shrug:

P

ProfessorKenpo

Originally posted by Shiatsu
Seems like the only person crying and throwing out name calling is you :shrug:

anonypussy strikes again.

Clyde

S

Shiatsu

Oh now my fellings are hurt. Why do you insist on making yourself act like a *** on here? Master Tatums way is not the only way. Your way is not the only way, when will you get that through your thick skull?

By the way is your sparring equipment still in Vegas?:rofl:

Les

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Bill Lear
Why isn't Paul Mills Kenpo System worthy of his name. I know he's changed, forms, sets, and techniques for his guys... and they seem to work rather well for them. Why should Ed Parker accept responsibility for Mr. Mill's innovations? :confused:

That's an interesting question, and the short answer is that it IS worthy of his name.

Paul Mills formed the AKKI back in 1997, but long before that, while still with the IKKA, he was their Regional Representative for a area of ten states. Even back then, within the IKKA, they were known as "The Paul Mills Family Group".

While I was in the International Kenpo Karate Association, I thought I was training in American Kenpo. The patch I wore then said Kenpo Karate. When did it formally become EPAK?

Now I'm a member of American Kenpo Karate International, and I still think I train in American Kenpo. The patch I wear now says Kenpo Karate.

You've got me thinking now though...........Did Mr Parker himself use the phrase EPAK, or has it been coined since his death?

Les

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
I originally voted no for the reasons that are going on in here. The pointless bickering and name calling. Could it be a good thing and work? You betcha. Can every single thread degenerate into name calling? Yep.
Since EPAK is based on logic, not emotion, let's look at a few points.
1.) This one is the scariest. DC and Clyde agree.
This tells me that there is a common ground for a very strong forum.
2.) There are 3 accepted curriculuums for EPAK 32-24-16. They all follow the same base but have different time lines. This would have to be acknowledged and accepted by all. In other words, No one saying "If you ain't doing the (insert tech number here), you ain't doing EPAK. It would have to be agreed it is a 154 tech base system, regardless of 32-24-16.
3.) There are dozens if not hundreds of derivatives.
4.) Kenpoists, online, seem to be extremely disrepectful of one another. This could not be tolerated in a forum dedicated solely to EPAK.
5.) A lot of online tools could be created from this forum, such as a Kenpo Dictionary. That way, the yellow belt who only knows 10 techniques could actually ask intelligently phrased questions.
I guess what I am saying is that if the forum is run and used with a basis in LOGIC, it could work. If emotion is allowed to prevail, it is doomed.

S

Shiatsu

It won't work, plain and simple. There would still b the my way is right, you have no idea what you are talking about, he said she said BS.:shrug:

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by ProfessorKenpo
Screw it, it's not worth it. All I wanted was consideration for splitting of the KENPO/KEMPO to a more select group of individuals that speak the same language without having to explain what gaseous expansion is three times. F**k it. With all the different people posting here you'd think we were taking something away from them, and I for one don't want to see a bunch of crybabies from other groups getting their panties in a knot because they're not doing EPAK. God people, get your s**t together. I'll just post over on CanAm where they do have a specific forum for us.

Clyde

Clyde- Grow up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions