OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Disagreement is cool with me :) They are different photos, and to be sure, Shelley and I had moods in mind when composed them. She's posting the one of the boardwalk as an academic example.

These are three more of my nature compositions. These show a bit better representation of the rule of thirds, with a key difference: I didn't know what the rule of thirds was when I shot them.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40611453@N02/4480258681/in/set-72157623703242909/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40611453@N02/4480258677/in/set-72157623703242909/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40611453@N02/4326501769/in/set-72157623703242909/

I'm curious now to reprocess one of my trail photos to give it a slightly different perspective.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Exactly! See Im not saying your shot is bad at all, it IS good...however there are ways to improve the shot as well!
I am by no means the greatest of photographers...I still struggle with lighting issues but I take what I know and apply it and what I dont know...I learn it :)
Quite honestly, I think moving the line up or down in that shot would have substantially changed it -- and I don't think it would have been for the better. I agree that the various rules on placement and composition are great guidelines... and generally, applying them will produce a better picture. But in this specific case, you would lose a sense of motion or "pendingness" (to invent a word) that is present here. It's kind of like when an amateur cook throws some ingredients together that a trained chef would never combine, because the rules say they don't go together -- and it works. Sometimes, too much adherence to such rules inhibits the artistry.

(I'm not saying you're not making good suggestions and input... but maybe that it's a case of being so locked on a technical "failing" that you don't notice that it works. Sort of like if someone were to KO an opponent with excellent, clean technique, and have their teacher obsess over the fact that they didn't use a kick to do it.)

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Boy do I ever know that phenomenon. I have a B.Mus. from Berklee College of Music, and many of my classmates were accused of having the dreaded "Berklee sound", meaning a composition that is technically correct in musicality but lacked...soul.

I don't know if that particular shot could be improved. I tried reprocessing the image to move the center around, and it definitely did not have the same feel. However, I can keep the perspective rules in mind for a new shot.

I processed a different trail shot with the rule of thirds in mind, and I think it does make a difference. (Side note: the trees still don't have their leaves yet, so the lighting is very stark.)

This is the SOC original.

4522110575_7229f5c16d.jpg

Now the same shot, processed. I moved the trail so it is more in line with the rule of thirds. I think the crop makes the photo more interesting, it seems to add some mystery to the photo.

4522764312_f55418a032.jpg

ShelleyK

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I agree Carol, the 2nd shot is more interesting to look at!
In the first shot I find that its "heavy" on the left side of the photo due to the overgrowth of the bushes/trees, by making a different crop on the shot you "evened" out the composition so the eye will sweep over the shot rather than keep looking to the left where it was heavy!

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Boy do I ever know that phenomenon. I have a B.Mus. from Berklee College of Music, and many of my classmates were accused of having the dreaded "Berklee sound", meaning a composition that is technically correct in musicality but lacked...soul.

I don't know if that particular shot could be improved. I tried reprocessing the image to move the center around, and it definitely did not have the same feel. However, I can keep the perspective rules in mind for a new shot.

I processed a different trail shot with the rule of thirds in mind, and I think it does make a difference. (Side note: the trees still don't have their leaves yet, so the lighting is very stark.)

This is the SOC original.

4522110575_7229f5c16d.jpg

Now the same shot, processed. I moved the trail so it is more in line with the rule of thirds. I think the crop makes the photo more interesting, it seems to add some mystery to the photo.

4522764312_f55418a032.jpg
I like the relocation this time. The first shot was just a look down the trail... May mean more to Carol as she recalls the feeling (like when you've been hiking uphill all day and glimpse the first level or downward stretch or realize that your campsite is just ahead) but nothing really eye catching. The second version has more of a feel of movement.

Latest Discussions