In the woods - trying something a bit different

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I started playing around with one of my hiking shots, and tried to make it look like the inky, monochromatic print that may have been found in an adventure magazine or wilderness guide from the 50s or 60s.

Feedback appreciated :)

4506839186_5d1e887d26.jpg

ShelleyK

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Great post processing....however may I offer some advice here?

When you have a horizon...in your case its the "end" of the trail...you will want it on the lower or upper 1/3 of the photo and not smack in the middle....the reason is that the eye tends to "sweep" over the photo in a circular motion and the eye needs to be "led" into the shot. In this photo its all in the center so the eye doesnt completely see the upper or lower portions....

I can give you an example if you want me too

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

When you have a horizon...in your case its the "end" of the trail...you will want it on the lower or upper 1/3 of the photo and not smack in the middle....the reason is that the eye tends to "sweep" over the photo in a circular motion and the eye needs to be "led" into the shot. In this photo its all in the center so the eye doesnt completely see the upper or lower portions....

Thanks!! I love advice! If you can, I'd love to see an example :)

ShelleyK

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Ok here is a great example of "perspective" You see how the walkway leads your eye to the top of the photo where there is a burst of color? Then your eye travels back to the walkway...sweeping over the photo :)

4518249903_6b7010146e_o.jpg

ShelleyK

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Imagine a tic tac toe grid over your photo...
ALL points of interest should be where ever the lines cross each other, so it would be the 4 corners of the center square, this is called the composition or rule of thirds, use this as a rule of thumb for your photos...its not a save all for every photo but just a guideline, because there may be instances where the composition rule will not apply :)

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That makes a lot of sense! I recall hearing about this once before, but not when I was out shooting on a somewhat regular basis.

Thanks so much! Anytime you feel like sharing advice or suggestions...please do. I love the input :)

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Interesting... Maybe it's just me, but my eye in this shot was drawn just above center, to that bright area, especially the brightly lit tree trunk there... I felt that the rest of the shot framed that, and the sense of promise inherent there nicely.

ShelleyK

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Interesting... Maybe it's just me, but my eye in this shot was drawn just above center, to that bright area, especially the brightly lit tree trunk there... I felt that the rest of the shot framed that, and the sense of promise inherent there nicely.

Right....and again its in the center of the photos...the eye will nearly always be drawn first to the brightest spot in a photo. Her horizon is just under that bright spot. It IS framed well but the focal point isnt quite positioned properly.

Here I will give another example on how to make this shot better using the 3 "golden rules"

Use this website (dont worry its short and simple)
http://photoinf.com/Golden_Mean/Eugene_Ilchenko/GoldenSection.html

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I do think, for my imagination anyway, that this is one of those occaisions where breaking the rules has had a good outcome.

I love that shot, Carol; it gives a sense of eerie anticipation with the path being shrouded overhead by the trees - I almost expect a Black Rider to appear at the end :lol:.

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I do think, for my imagination anyway, that this is one of those occaisions where breaking the rules has had a good outcome.

I love that shot, Carol; it gives a sense of eerie anticipation with the path being shrouded overhead by the trees - I almost expect a Black Rider to appear at the end :lol:.

Niiice :D :D

One thing I learned from earning a music degree is that art can speak to people in many ways, and even something that is not technically "correct" can still be enjoyed by another person.

I like hearing feedback (good or bad...don't be afraid to throw tomatoes :lol:) and when a skilled photographer such as Bob, Shelley, or Bill can lend their input, that is a bonus, because I get to improve my own skills in the process. :)

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Carol I wish I could make anything look good, nice shot love the feeling of being down that path...

ShelleyK

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Niiice :D :D

One thing I learned from earning a music degree is that art can speak to people in many ways, and even something that is not technically "correct" can still be enjoyed by another person.

I like hearing feedback (good or bad...don't be afraid to throw tomatoes :lol:) and when a skilled photographer such as Bob, Shelley, or Bill can lend their input, that is a bonus, because I get to improve my own skills in the process. :)

Exactly! See Im not saying your shot is bad at all, it IS good...however there are ways to improve the shot as well!
I am by no means the greatest of photographers...I still struggle with lighting issues but I take what I know and apply it and what I dont know...I learn it :)

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
The rest of us can only hope to see more Carol + Shelley "debates", supported with ample photos from each side.....

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I like both photos but I don’t think they are putting across the same feel.

With Carol’s I am drawn into the picture I tend to feel deeper into it and more surrounded by it where with Shelly’s I tend to get the feeling I am suppose to follow it starting at the bottom (and I am more drawn to the beginning than the end) and ending at the top. Both are great and both are by far better than what I could do but I feel that they are trying to get the viewer to do 2 different things or affect the viewer in 2 different ways

ShelleyK

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Ok gang, you guys are reading WAY too much into what I am saying here...the pic I put up was just an example of how perspective works in drawing the eye towards the subject matter or focal area of the photo, it has nothing to do with evoking feelings and singing Kumbaya! HAHAH!!!!

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Ok gang, you guys are reading WAY too much into what I am saying here...the pic I put up was just an example of how perspective works in drawing the eye towards the subject matter or focal area of the photo, it has nothing to do with evoking feelings and singing Kumbaya! HAHAH!!!!

OK, In that case I am drawn to the beginning part of your photo where it is brightest to my eye and the back of carols where it is brightest. My eyes take in more of Carol's picture with less effort

And based on that, IMO, they are not the same

Latest Discussions