Improving kick power/strength

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My point was there is no terminal velocity. There is no reason the kick would stop accelerating.

I would have thought constant acceleration throughout the kick would be the obvious conclusion. Not six inches of acceleration and then for no reason at all having that acceleration stop.

That is my point about terminal velocity if I am kicking that action accelerates the kick. That kickng procces continues throughout the kick untill I run out of leg.

You 6 inches of mystery change to the kick is a lot harder to explain.

If i can be bothered i am pretty sure I can find the physics reflected in a lot of swinging impact movement.

Golf backswings would be a good example.

you back to calling it terminal velocity Again, do you know what terminal velocity is? Clearly not, if you don't know that, then you won't understand any explanation given

if you are claiming that a kick keeps accelerating till contact then YOU prove it

Why don't neither of you prove it? :D

But seriously, I think it's much more logical to assume you will keep accelerating, then that you will suddenly stop accelerating mid kick. In that case, the person coming from the illogical sounding position should have to prove why their theory would be correct. The logical-sounding position can support it with just logic.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Why don't neither of you prove it? :D

But seriously, I think it's much more logical to assume you will keep accelerating, then that you will suddenly stop accelerating mid kick. In that case, the person coming from the illogical sounding position should have to prove why their theory would be correct. The logical-sounding position can support it with just logic.
but that's not in fact logical. If I throw a ball it doesnt keep accelerating till it hits the target, does it, if I go flat out in my car it won't keep accelerating for ever. They accelerate and then move at a constant speed, then they decelerate

but this is,science and he has made a claim he can't support

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
you back to calling it terminal velocity Again, do you know what terminal velocity is? Clearly not, if you don't know that, then you won't understand any explanation given

if you are claiming that a kick keeps accelerating till contact then YOU prove it
So what I can figure out there is an accelerometer attached to this girls foot.

we see a big spike of acceleration untill she hits the ball pretty much. There is no mystery deceleration after 6 inches.

More backswing more time to accelerate.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So what I can figure out there is an accelerometer attached to this girls foot.

we see a big spike of acceleration untill she hits the ball pretty much. There is no mystery deceleration after 6 inches.
????that's not a front kick is it, we ate unless you forgot discussing karate front kicks

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
but that's not in fact logical. If I throw a ball it doesnt keep accelerating till it hits the target, does it, if I go flat out in my car it won't keep accelerating for ever. They accelerate and then move at a constant speed, then they decelerate

Ok. If there is no force being applied to the ball Wind resistance will decelerate the ball.

There is continual force being aplied to the kick untill it hits or runs out of leg.

A car will eventuality run out of acceleration but a kick does not have the distance tho have this issue.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ok. If there is no force being applied to the ball Wind resistance will decelerate the ball.

There is continual force being aplied to the kick untill it hits or runs out of leg.

A car will eventuality run out of acceleration but a kick does not have the distance tho have this issue.
so there isn't a max speed your leg can reach?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am sure there is. But you are never getting close to terminal velocity.
terminal velocity is the speed an object reaches if dropped from a great height, is max velocity

so front karate kick, how fast can you leg move?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
terminal velocity is the speed an object reaches if dropped from a great height, is max velocity

so front karate kick, how fast can you leg move?

Same difference. And stuffed if I know.

How are you faring with this idea that a kick suddenly stops accelerating?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It does, but there is a sweet spot, well past six inches. After that your body will naturally try not to dislocate anything.

Yeah but if you didn't have to worry about running out of leg the kick should keep accelerating well past the speed it gets up to.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

After posting my response, I noticed dropbear provided you with as close to support as is reasonable (someone kicking and acceleration being measured) and you dismissed it because it is a different type of motion, with the same body structure. But you still refused to offer your own support that 6 seconds (or less) is max velocity. No point continuing the debate after that IMO.

Last edited:

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Wow. Just... wow.

@ladolcevita

Forget physics formulas and definitions. When you're facing the kicking shield , all of that goes out the window.

If you want to hit hard, you've got to hit things. The heavier the better. Kicking shields and focus mitts aren't designed to increase power; they're designed to increase accuracy. Get a heavy bag. If you can't hang a heavy bag, get a freestanding bag like a Century wavemaster XXL or a BOB.

If all you've ever kicked is the air, your power being weak is expected imo. The mechanics of kicking the air are different than kicking an object. When kicking the air, you have to rely on your own muscles slowing your body down so you don't fall over. When kicking a bag, you rely on the bag absorbing the force to keep you from falling down.

Your body is probably used to slowing itself down rather than letting go and following through correctly. No other way to explain it other than hit a bag repeatedly and you'll feel exactly what I mean.

There are a lot of other things that can be robbing you of power too. One could be your distance from the shield. If you're too close or too far away, you're not in the sweet spot to hit with maximum power. Even if you have flawless technique, distance will easily make or break your power. Everyone's optimal distance is different, and every strike's optimal distance is different.

If your muscular strength is average (meaning not excessively weak) or better, the biggest thing you'll end up training is your nervous system. Hitting a bag will teach you to let go and strike through the bag. It'll teach you to recruit more muscle fibers. It'll teach you to loosen up certain areas and tighten up other areas, and when.

Again, hard to explain fully, but easy to feel once you get used to hitting a bag. It doesn't happen in one or two sessions, but it does happen. The more you hit the bag, the better you'll understand your body. The bag provides excellent feedback that pretty much nothing else can replicate imo.

When I first started hitting a bag, I had a ton of very weak kicks. I was shocked at how weak certain kicks were, especially front leg kicks. After a few weeks they were noticeably stronger. The more I kicked the bag, the stronger I got.

Sorry if I'm rambling. If you want to hit harder (kicks, punches or anything else), you need to hit heavy things. Not in a haphazard manner where you're going all out from day one, but in a progressive manner in which you're listening to your body.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
After posting my response, I noticed dropbear provided you with as close to support as is reasonable (someone kicking and acceleration being measured) and you dismissed it because it is a different type of motion, with the same body structure. But you still refused to offer your own support that 6 seconds (or less) is max velocity. No point continuing the debate after that IMO.
I said 6inches not six seconds and that was a suggestion were acceleration might stop with a front kick, he changed the whole debate from karate to soccer as that was the only you tube vid he could find

But you are correct on one point, that being that discussing physics with someone who gets inches and seconds confused is a bit pointless

Last edited:

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I said 6inches not six seconds and that was a suggestion were acceleration might stop with a front kick, he changed the whole debate from karate to soccer as that was the only you tube vid he could find

But you are correct on one point, that being that discussing physics with someone who gets inches and seconds confused is a bit pointless
No. This conversation is pointless, for several reasons. o_O

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There comes a point when you hit a wall. That wall being the person you are trying to teach, thinking they already know it. However, if you look at the numbers, most of the posters on this thread seem to agree with each other.:cool:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There comes a point when you hit a wall. That wall being the person you are trying to teach, thinking they already know it. However, if you look at the numbers, most of the posters on this thread seem to agree with each other.:cool:
well that's not surprising, there does seem to be a collective dimness about the forum, anyway I counted 3 one that doesn't know what terminal velocity is,one that gets confused between inches and minutes and you ,who doesn't seem to have an opinion of your own, just hitching on their coat tails

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
well that's not surprising, there does seem to be a collective dimness about the forum, anyway I counted 3 one that doesn't know what terminal velocity is,one that gets confused between inches and minutes and you ,who doesn't seem to have an opinion of your own, just hitching on their coat tails
I suggest you practice your magic kicks, and show us a vid. I'd love to see it.

Latest Discussions