I'm new to bjj!

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu' started by Nabakatsu, Aug 14, 2016.

1. Hanzou

Hanzou Senior Master

You need to relax and enjoy the ride. You have a long journey ahead of you, and I personally think you're over-training. I would recommend that you reduce your training time to 3 times a week for 2 hours, and maybe pop in for an open mat on the weekends when you're just starting out. Going balls to the wall as a newbie is a sure-fire way to burn yourself out.

Also Tony is 100% correct, rolling is not a competition. You're not there to win, you're there to LEARN. Experiment, take risks, and have fun. I'm not going to lie, when I was a white belt I hated being tapped too, but you need to learn how to lose so that you will lose your ego.

2. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise MT Moderator Staff Member

Tony and Hanzou have given you some good advice here. Relax, learn technique and try to apply it. Understand that you need to learn to utilize your body in an efficient manner and if you are relying on strength well there will always be someone bigger, stronger, etc. So if that is your go to and you are only 160lbs your going to have some issues moving forward. So, relax, learn and enjoy the process. Learn solid technique. Take some risks while rolling and have fun! Rolling is a great opportunity to be in an environment where you can work on the training you are receiving.

• Like Like x 1