Tapping others out in Bjj is not the Point...

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu' started by Hanzou, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Hanzou

Hanzou Senior Master

Man, I needed this video when I was a beginner in Bjj. Maybe I could have avoided the pitfalls of early training, and the self doubt that held back my personal development. And wow at using 60% of your energy when you roll regardless of who you're rolling against. Again, wish I would have thought of that as a beginner, because there were times I was actually afraid to roll because I would expend so much energy trying to win instead of trying to learn. As I got more advanced I used less energy against less experienced opponents, but thinking about it, I wish I had dialed things back from the beginning and just enjoyed the roll instead of always trying to "win" the roll.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Martial D

Martial D Senior Master

Heh. My instructor yells at us when we try to muscle it. We are taught to never exert muscle aside from one or three second explosions.

I still try to get subs as often as possible though, just without forcing it. Subs are like rabbits. When you hunt a rabbit you patiently wait for it to come to your trap. You'll never run it down.

• Like Like x 1