if you want to groin kick. train the inside leg kick.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Clarity across systems is nice. Names for techniques that are thought out and understood easily are nice as well. ......................................

Clarity and easily understood make things nice in my opinion. Rather than having to explain to me or show me what an Abracadra kick is if someone say's oh it is a fake low roundhouse followed by a front kick. I can understand that easily right from the get go.

1. I am a big fan of names that are intuitive as well, butt sometimes they are only easily understood because the name has been explained or understood. take for instance;
2. "Roundhouse" do you really go around some house as you do the kick? IIRC the name of course is an extension of the name for the hand tehnique which went around the guard (house) of the opponent resulting in the shorthand "'round house"

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
What's this Karate Champs name? What's he a champ of? And why if you see him chamber do you stand there and let him kick you?

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
What's this Karate Champs name? What's he a champ of? And why if you see him chamber do you stand there and let him kick you?

guy thrupp.
Australia.
and because he shows me how to kick

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So because he teaches you how to kick you let him kick you?

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So because he teaches you how to kick you let him kick you?

there is confusion here. K man can see the chamber and finds the power of that sort of kick lacking

i find he kicks quite effective.

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Now i know muay Thai guys who kick hard as well. So if this becomes a vs thread my vote is i don't know. Personal preference. I guess.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
In karate almost all kicks come from some form of chamber. To me that does two things. It telegraphs your intention and it robs your technique of power. I don't teach them that way for those reasons. They are fine for point sparring but not as effective as other kicks for the street.

There are pros and cons to chambering your kicks, and I certainly won't argue with someone who prefers one over the other. That said, chambering kicks predates point sparring in quite a number of systems and there are plenty of karate/kung fu/savate/etc practitioners out there who can deliver chambered kicks which are both powerful and hard to read.

terminology i get. Whether you want to call every different movement something new is fine.
The training methodology i don't. All of this stemmed from the idea that to train a strike the other guy needs to act like he has been struck. Because you cant train a groin kick live.

I think we may have another failure to communicate here. No one said that you need a training partner acting out his reaction in order to train a groin kick (or any other kick). The points made were that you might want your training partner acting out a reaction ...
a) in a demo, such as the one being discussed in the previous thread, or
b) when training a specific sequence that builds off of a specific reaction to your initial strike.

This isn't specific to groin kicks. Let's say you wanted to drill or demo a combination where you lift your opponent's chin up with an uppercut in order to expose him to a right cross. Are you really going to hit your training partner with a full strength uppercut every time you demo or drill the combination?

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't have an issue with demos or drills. I have an issue with only training demos and drills.

it is rare that we would drill a strike that requires our posture to be broken. So the uppercut probably wouldn't tip the chin up in a drill.

most of our striking drills are Dutch drills.

i am trying to think of a striking circumstance where we would do that. We would certainly give a feed like a slow strike.

it may tip the chin up in sparring. In which case you could practice it there.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't have an issue with demos or drills. I have an issue with only training demos and drills.

I absolutely agree with you there. I'm not sure anyone was advocating only training demos and drills, though.

it is rare that we would drill a strike that requires our posture to be broken. So the uppercut probably wouldn't tip the chin up in a drill.

That's fair enough. I don't consider drilling sequences which build on expected reactions to being hit an essential part of my training either. That said, they have their place in many peoples training. As long as you don't exclusively train for the reactions you imagine you are going to get, I don't think it's a problem.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Why is it called chamber? Seems quite a strange term to me.
It's like a spring. You have to compress it first so when you release it, you will generate the maximum power. Unfortunately in combat, when both you and your opponent are moving in combat speed, you may not have the luxury to do your "maximum compression".

I do agree that "maximum compression" may telegraph your intention sometime.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's like a spring. You have to compress it first so when you release it, you will generate the maximum power. Unfortunately in combat, when both you and your opponent are moving in combat speed, you may not have the luxury to do your "maximum compression".

I do agree that "maximum compression" may telegraph your intention sometime.

Yeah surely. I would also think that some moves would be quite obvious, like a ankle tap for example.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Guys, I'm out of here but I'd like to discuss it further with 'supporting members'.

(Anyone else wanting to join in, purchase a membership. ;) )

Latest Discussions