if you want to groin kick. train the inside leg kick.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A kick to the groin or inner thigh is a great technique to close distance and get to work.
+1,

I have always believed that a kick can be more than just a kick. Besides to use it to hurt your opponent, It can be used to

- close the distance, and
- set up for something else (such as another kick, punch, clinch, ...).

If you use roundhouse kick to kick your opponent's "leading upper inner leg" with a 90 degree to 45 degree angle, your leading leg will jam into his leading leg. You don't have to worry about his kick and knee at that moment. This way you can concentrate on his punch and elbow. If you can also deal with your opponent's punch or elbow, you may obtain a successful "clinch" that you are looking for (if you are a grappler).

Last edited:
OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
+1,

I have always believed that a kick can be more than just a kick. Besides to use it to hurt your opponent, It can be used to

- close the distance, and
- set up for something else (such as another kick, punch, clinch, ...).

If you use roundhouse kick to kick your opponent's "leading upper inner leg" with a 90 degree to 45 degree angle, your leading leg will jam into his leading leg. You don't have to worry about his kick and knee at that moment. This way you can concentrate on his punch and elbow. If you can also deal with your opponent's punch or elbow, you may obtain a successful "clinch" that you are looking for (if you are a grappler).

well to deal with the returning punch or kick we normally fire that kick and lean off center.

for an inside leg you can grab it if they check and do all those single leg/ankle pick variations.

if you have groin kicked them and they lean forward the clinch is there as well.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is a short clip by using roundhouse kick as "leg jam". I would like to call it "jumping spider".

Any particular spider? A Mexican red kneed tarantula perhaps or a black widow, make it sound really mean.
I think you will have some Judo chappies coming along soon to tell you what it's really called lol.

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Any particular spider? A Mexican red kneed tarantula perhaps or a black widow, make it sound really mean.
I think you will have some Judo chappies coming along soon to tell you what it's really called lol.

not everything has to be in Japanese.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
image.jpg
Sorry Tez but you are not even close. Kung fu is Chinese so it stands to reason that the spider in question must be Chinese. If it jumps it must be the Chinese jumping spider. Elementary my dear!
:D

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
No but in case you hadn't noticed Judo is Japanese.

which is true. But i don't think kung fu wang does judo. There is all sorts of interesting Chinese grappling arts out there.

and they may even pre date judo.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
which is true. But i don't think kung fu wang does judo. There is all sorts of interesting Chinese grappling arts out there.

and they may even pre date judo.

You don't understand, and you have actually said this, how conversation on here works. It's not about Kung Fu Wang doing Judo, and yes there are other grappling arts out there which may predate Judo but trying to explain things to you is like having to explain in minute detail a very funny joke, it really doesn't work.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
No but in case you hadn't noticed Judo is Japanese.
It's a "吸(XI) - Sticky" principle used in Shuai_Chiao (Chinese wrestling) which is similar to this:

this:

and this:

But I'm sure you can find this principle used in Judo as well.

Sorry that I don't intend to turn a "groin kick" thread into a "grappling" thread. :)

Last edited:

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It's a "吸(XI) - Sticky" principle used in Shuai_Chiao (Chinese wrestling) which is similar to this:

this:

and this:

But I'm sure you can find this principle used in Judo as well.

Sorry that I don't intend to turn a "groin kick" thread into a "grappling" thread. :)
Why not? It makes a heck of a lot more sense than a groin kick to the inner thigh or a 'vertical roundhouse' kick to the groin.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
About the only way to do a vertical roundhouse kick is if you did it whilst lying on the floor. :)

It still wouldn't be vertical... if you lay on the floor (on your back or side) and do a roundhouse, it's still going to me moving across the body. Else it wouldn't be a roundhouse...

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Which, while impressive, really isn't what he's talking about, since he's talking about a "verticle roundhouse" (an oxymoron...) being used as a groin strike. That picture would only apply if the kicker were a smurf fighting an NBA player...

Which might actually be pretty cool to see...

Last edited:

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The reason being you can train the same movement in a resisted situation. Without having to kick people in the groin.

a perfectly reasonable way to gain timing and power with a technique is to train it against a resisted opponent. This is difficult with a groin kick as very few people will get kicked in the groin on purpose. So to gain the timing and power needed we can use an existing kick and change the angle a bit.

this kick is effective to the inner leg anyway. The set ups are the same. The openings are the same. If you can reach the inner leg. You can reach the groin.

kicking to the leg will provide a real reaction that you can work the rest of your combinations off.

i prefer this to relying solely on pads or compliant drills.

I kind of think you're conflating a few different issues here.

First: the type of kick to use for targeting the groin. If your opponent has his body angled sidewise to you, then a low roundhouse is absolutely an appropriate tool. This is standard practice in a number of arts. On the other hand, if he's squared up to you, then a front kick is the one you would use.

Second: training methods. You are unlikely to find training partners who will allow you to deliver full power blows to their unprotected groins no matter what kind of technique you are using - roundhouse kick, front kick, ridge hand, whatever. Therefore your training will have to modify some aspect of your theoretical real world application.

You can train hard contact to a different target and trust that you will be able to modify the target on the fly in a real situation. This is what you are advocating - sparring with the inside low roundhouse to the leg and having the option to aim a little bit higher in a street fight. Thing is, you can do this just as easily with other techniques - front kicks, uppercuts, whatever. Spar while aiming for a "safe" target and plan to aim for a more vulnerable target if necessary.

You can also train light contact to your actual target and plan on increasing the impact in a real situation. I've done that too - wear a cup and restrict your groin kicks to light taps. You practice developing your kicking power in different training exercises. Once again, this concept can apply no matter which type of kick or other strike you are practicing.

You can also dress your target up in a RedMan suit or some other form of heavy armor that will allow him to safely withstand hard contact shots to the groin. Of course, this will negate most normal, realistic reactions to the strikes, whichever kind you are practicing.

No matter which form of training you choose, you are sacrificing something in the "realism" department. (Personally I advocate working a variety of exercises so that the holes in each training method can cancel each other out.) Regardless, the trade-offs apply no matter which type of kick you are practicing.

Thirdly: terminology. I'll address this more in your other thread, but I'm a big fan of clarity in language. It's kind of confusing to talk about an "inside leg kick to the groin" or a "vertical roundhouse kick". If I were the one posting this thread I'd probably say something like:

"A low inside roundhouse kick is a good weapon for hitting the groin. You can target the inner thigh in sparring and just raise the kick a little higher to target the groin in a street fight."