I Have No Idea Where to Post This

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Forgive me for placing this here in the Study but I truly have no clue as to where would be more suitable. I did ponder The Hall of Remembrance but she was not a martial artist so I did not think it the right place. However, I just wanted to say something on the site to explain to those who recognise me here, but that have not been party to what has been going on in my life for the past three months, why it is that I have dropped off the radar in the past week.

Many know that that last November I got married to my darling soul-mate that I have known for sixteen years and been together with for eight. What most may not know, who are not on Staff or have not picked up on the odd reference here and there, is that, in the week or so before we wed, my wife-to-be was admitted to hospital with an illness that was soon diagnosed as cancer.

For three months and more we fought with the calm courage of Buddha and the ferocity of tigers. We promised each other that we would not give up and that, no matter what, we would be at each others side all the way.

And so we were and she faltered not one iota during the fight, no matter what the terror or the pain.

We had a burst of hope in mid-January that we had victory, for the initial cancer site had been returned to normal. But my most beloved wife became sicker and sicker and a fortnight ago was readmitted with the onset of severe respiratory distress. Part of that was that the treatment had induced diabetes because of the steroids used to counteract inflammation. But the soul destroying news was that, whilst being treated, the cancer had metastasised. In the space of a week we had to adjust from the certainty of at least five years of good health together to the dire prognosis (last Wednesday) of a handful of days, as it was revealed that the cancer had spread to her lungs, heart, liver and bones.

In the early hours of Saturday {16th February}, my Michelle passed away in my arms and my life ceased to have any meaning. I have no idea how I am going to carry on without her.

So, I just ask that those of you who are in relationships take a moment each day to treasure what you have. If your love is true, forgive those who you love any small transgressions that engender annoyance and temporise any harsh words or deeds, for you do not know how long you have.

Michelle and I had eight years of effortless domestic bliss together and I am still smashed to the ground with regrets for what we had not yet done.

Imagine how it would be if there was guilt for unforgiven transgressions of deed or word or forgiveness not extended to the other for the same. So tell those that you love that you do love them and let them know that you love them regardless of any foibles or weaknesses they have. Most particularly ensure that you thank them for loving you despite any such failings that you may have yourself.

Sentience, tool use and language set us apart from most of the animal kingdom but it is love, especially unconditional love, that marks us as truly human.

Last edited:

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is a sad event but it's wonderful that you're taking the time to encourage others to appreciate what they have. Thank you.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
My friend no words can be spoken to make your pain go away. Just know you both are on my thoughts tonight.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Your dedication to Michelle when she needed it most is something words cannot express.

You are an inspiration, Suk....but I am so sorry for the shattering results.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I will say I'm taking your words to heart. I've been fight with my wife all day over something that seems really stupid now. I'm on my way home now to tell her to love her and to end the nonsense.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Suk, I'm not normally an outwardly emotional man - goes with the territory for ER - but I've shed a few tears for you over the last few months. Your eloquence, your personal strength, and the strength of the love you've shown Michelle are inspiring.

OP
Sukerkin

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thank you, my dear friends.

Carol and DD, love is a monumentally powerful force. It can strengthen you to endure far more than you think is possible and embolden you to face that which you otherwise could not face. With Michelle at my side I felt that could tackle anything; no problem or difficulty was insurmountable as long as she was with me.

The universe can be cruel, however, and there are limits on what love can achieve in some ways, even tho' I wish utterly that that was not so.

Nonetheless the strength of it is remarkable indeed. Fighting aside all that the cancer was doing to her, the last voluntary movement my beautiful Michelle made was to reach out her hand and place it over my heart and, taking three racking breaths to say it, the last words she spoke were "I ... love ... you". My tears flow afresh to speak of it and the pain that I feel I would inflict on noone for it does not seem possible to hurt so much and yet live on. No man has ever been so honoured to have such a good soul spend her last energies so.

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It took courage to write openly as you did during such a time. Thank you, and I'm sorry for loss.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

aedrasteia

Purple Belt
Reaction score
dear dear Mark

yes, thats the way of it.
when we join lives we know what will come someday and still we open our hearts,
knowing even so. amazing and terrible.

what a gift and comfort to her you've been; a joy to you she was, and remains.
and by opening your heart to us, we are blessed and reminded,
made wiser by your generosity.

ring the bells that still can ring
forget your perfect offering.
There's a crack in everything
that's how the light gets in.

deep bow to you both,

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I sit here with my jaw dropped and find myself at a complete loss and I have no idea what to say... I only know there is nothing I could say to make this easier... and I truly wish there was a way I could….. I am so very sorry for your loss

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I was afraid to see what I would see when I opened the thread.

You and your beloved have been in my thoughts.
And you will continue to be there.
Words can't express my sorrow.

It is alright to rest now for a moment. To lick your wounds.
Then, when the time is right you will find the strength to go on.
One step, one breath, one day at a time.

She might not have been a martial artist, but Michelle sounds like a fighter to me, a woman with the warrior spirit.

many hugs to you, my friend.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Do not stand at my grave and weep,
I am not there, I do not sleep.
I am in a thousand winds that blow,
I am the softly falling snow.
I am the gentle showers of rain,
I am the fields of ripening grain.
I am in the morning hush,
I am in the graceful rush
Of beautiful birds in circling flight,
I am the star shine of the night.
I am in the flowers that bloom,
I am in a quiet room.
I am in the birds that sing,
I am in each lovely thing.
Do not stand at my grave and cry,
I am not there. I did not die.

by Mary Elizabeth Frye

I've experienced my share of loss, Mark. There is only time, the kindness of friends, the love of family and ultimately, your solitude and I know that this pain will ease eventually. You are a strong man - courageous - and ultimately things will get better.

Someone like you should not have had to have gone through such a horrible loss, most especially just after having wed and begun the big journey with each other. You are not alone, however, and I'd like to echo another's sentiment that you seek out these others when it's time. You'll know it's time because it will be the very LAST thing you think you need.

All respects for being so open about this experience, Mark.

Cancer sucks.

*bow*

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Pretty much everything has already been said. I can only offer my personal condolences. I am so sorry for your loss. I know you are strong. Please stay that way. Your wife would want you to be. I'm sure it gave her comfort to believe that was true.

I am sure you have family and friends outside of MT for comfort. Know you also have strong and faithful friends here as well. Many know you better than I ever will, but if you want to discuss it with just me, or anyone here, you know we will all be here for you.

God Bless you in this sad time, and bolster the strength that is such a big part of you.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thinking of you at this moment my friend, so sorry for your loss.

Kurai

Green Belt
Reaction score
May you find peace. Thank you for sharing, you will be in my thoughts and have my condolences.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One word is too much, a thousand not enough. I am so very sorry. You are in my thoughts and prayers and my phone is always on.

Latest Discussions