College Campuses Perpetuating Hate, Ignorance, & Racism

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
Why do social issues like racism persist? Well here’s a great example of “higher education” perpetuating the hate and ignorance.

Article: http://www.wnd.com/2012/06/university-sponsors-ad-campaign-dissing-whites/

In a move that follows University of Delaware teaching that “all whites are racist” and a multi-college conference that critics blasted as “a weekend of indoctrination on white’s crimes,” a university in Minnesota has launched a race-based advertising campaign that blasts “whites” for being “privileged” in society and calling that unfair.

Now that is racist.

Recently, I actually had to explain in great detail to a “youngin’” that anybody could be a racist and that the condition was not exclusive to whites. Now I know where this mentality is coming from. People are being taught this nonsense.

…the school’s director of the office of cultural diversity, Susana Pelayo, suggested that a student handing out copies of the Constitution to honor Constitution Day “looked like” a white supremacist group.

“Instead of promoting cultural diversity, which is part of her job, she chose to show her bias against a group that would promote western culture and tradition,” CampusReform.org commented. “She had no problem with [a] leftist student heckling the conservative, but actually seems to agree that freedom, the Constitution and western civilization is all tied into white supremacy.”

I donÂ’t even know how to respond to thatÂ… Right now, IÂ’m just focusing on keeping my head from exploding.

To quote my buddy, Andy…”You can’t make up stupid this stupid.”

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Try being white and Jewish, then everything that happens in the Middle East is your fault as well. Not to mention it's your fault when a student is stupid.
http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/09/15/confused-student-claims-her-jewish-professor-is-anti-semitic/

damn, is she blond?!
(you can't fix stupid, that for sure...what a waste of tuition money)

but yea, I had a well educated woman point to her dark skin and being honestly gobsmacked that people had called her racist...'how can I be racist' were pretty much her exact words.

the people who perpetuate the divide are profiting rather nicely from it.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have colleges and universities, the two aren't the same, not sure if yours are?

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A couple of years ago I was at sea and we were watching a Samuel L. Jackson movie. In the movie he played a very racist black police officer disrupting the lives of a mixed family next door.

A black female watching the movie with us said I see that kind of reverse racism all the time. I corrected her saying:

"There is no such thing as reverse racism, it's just racism. Racism isn't unique to white people any human of any skin color or background can display racism."

She argued heatedly with me for the better part of an hour before storming out of the room.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
We have colleges and universities, the two aren't the same, not sure if yours are?
There's some differences, but most of the people I know (including people who are in college/were recently deciding which college/university to go to) use the two interchangably, and don't really care about the differences.

OP
celtic_crippler

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
A couple of years ago I was at sea and we were watching a Samuel L. Jackson movie. In the movie he played a very racist black police officer disrupting the lives of a mixed family next door.

A black female watching the movie with us said I see that kind of reverse racism all the time. I corrected her saying:

"There is no such thing as reverse racism, it's just racism. Racism isn't unique to white people any human of any skin color or background can display racism."

She argued heatedly with me for the better part of an hour before storming out of the room.

"Reverse-Racism"... *groan*

Per Merriam-Webster:

Racism 1: a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race 2: racial prejudice or discrimination

Notice it does not say "a condition unique to white folks."

Did you read this part of the article?

“My daughter has been passed over for scholarships that went to others with less achievement, solely because their ancestors were born in Africa and ours weren’t and the university felt obligated to do some social justice. … The door swings both ways.”

Racism sponsored by the government under the guise of providing equal opportunity.

But here's my favorite quote from the article and it's dead on.

This is so wrong from many aspects, but not the least is the fact that the ‘real world’ is not like college. … when you look for a job, employers will be turned off more by your Women’s Studies degree than by your skin color. They’ll be more impressed by you saying ‘Yes, Sir’ and “Thank you’ than they will be by an attitude of privilege.”

I was in management for close to 20 years and have sat on many an interview panel... We always wanted to know about qualifications; skin color was never one.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It can however be a case of what you reap you sow. With such horrendous racism there was in the not so distant past it's not surprising there is still a feeling that behind the white faces there is a suspicion of some sort of rascism and sometimes there is, I've heard it.
It is hard after so many years of being discriminated against, badly treated etc to believe that finally there is equality especially when in some cases there isn't! It's not that long ago in America you had separate schools, buses even park benches for blacks and whites, that isn't going to go away in the relatively short time it's been since such things were stopped. There's also the guilt some people feel for this and that leads them to over compensate which in itself can be racist. The way to make sure minorities compete on equal terms is to make sure they have equal conditions not to give them special privileges which actually demeans the people you are trying to help.
I can tell you racism, all kinds, is very much alive, well and kicking in today's world, the way we deal with it is important though,It's is an issue, it's never gone away, look at the memberships of the Far Right extremists and see that a black face is something they don't want to see anywhere around them. We can't throw the baby out with the bathwater if we are to deal with racism, saying that there is no racism these days is kidding ourselves, there is and it needs to be dealt with properly not fobbed off as something that someone else is imagining.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It can however be a case of what you reap you sow. With such horrendous racism there was in the not so distant past it's not surprising there is still a feeling that behind the white faces there is a suspicion of some sort of rascism and sometimes there is, I've heard it.
It is hard after so many years of being discriminated against, badly treated etc to believe that finally there is equality especially when in some cases there isn't! It's not that long ago in America you had separate schools, buses even park benches for blacks and whites, that isn't going to go away in the relatively short time it's been since such things were stopped. There's also the guilt some people feel for this and that leads them to over compensate which in itself can be racist. The way to make sure minorities compete on equal terms is to make sure they have equal conditions not to give them special privileges which actually demeans the people you are trying to help.
I can tell you racism, all kinds, is very much alive, well and kicking in today's world, the way we deal with it is important though,It's is an issue, it's never gone away, look at the memberships of the Far Right extremists and see that a black face is something they don't want to see anywhere around them. We can't throw the baby out with the bathwater if we are to deal with racism, saying that there is no racism these days is kidding ourselves, there is and it needs to be dealt with properly not fobbed off as something that someone else is imagining.

oh yes, it's alive and kicking.

However it has become profitable to be 'reverse racist'
or to use racism, real or imagined or outright false implied...

It has become so bad that you can't even express dislike for a person anymore, it's because you are racist...
No, Sweet, it's because you act like a jerk, dress like a thug/slut and use language that would make a sailor frown....skin tone has not a damn thing to do with it.

Oh, I forgot the 'not doing the job to take home the pay for'

Drasken

Brown Belt
Reaction score

While I can see what you mean, the logic in itself is prejudice and wrong. For someone to judge you, based on the actions of your grandparents is inherently immoral. Understandable, but very wrong. Each person should be judged by their own actions and not someone else's.
Like I said, I can understand the sensitivity of the situation. But how can we expect it to get any better if people are actually being taught this garbage?
I've known plenty of people who were not racist and became racist because they felt attacked and were accused of it on a regular basis. Now I believe they just prove idiots right by their actions, but it is a symptom of a larger problem. You can be racist, no matter your skin color. Teaching otherwise is in itself an act of racism. Someone needs to break the cycle or we're doomed to repeat it forever.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

In the U.S., a "university" must offer at least one full doctoral program, where a college can offer any degree program. But in colloquial speech, we actually don't say "going to university" here, we say "going to college", or even just "going to school" regardless of where that is. I would say "I have to go to school tonight" when taking classes at UMass.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Technically no, but often we don't draw the distinction conversationally. A university is comprised of colleges and/or schools of narrower and exclusive disciplinary focus (unlike the U.K., where more than one college within a university might offer the opportunity to earn a degree in, say, economics, as I understand the system) while a college is typically a small undergraduate institution with no or limited internal divisions. But we tend to lump all schools offering at least the bachelor's degree together as colleges and/or universities.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the U.S., a "university" must offer at least one full doctoral program, where a college can offer any degree program.

The original distinction was that universities were groups of associated colleges, and hence tended to be larger and have more specialized programs. Colleges have been reclassifying themselves as universities for a while now because many students--esp. foreign, but also in the U.S.--think "university" sounds better. So while Dartmouth College is the rare exception in that direction, there are now a great many "universities" that don't offer doctoral programs: Trinity, DePauw, ...

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have or kids currently in an international school and is very diverse in race, culture and religion. I watch my kids play blissfully with all walks of life, and just hope this generation never gets poisoned by prejudice. Wishful thinking I know, but is nice to hope it will get better.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While I can see what you mean, the logic in itself is prejudice and wrong. For someone to judge you, based on the actions of your grandparents is inherently immoral. Understandable, but very wrong. Each person should be judged by their own actions and not someone else's.
Like I said, I can understand the sensitivity of the situation. But how can we expect it to get any better if people are actually being taught this garbage?
I've known plenty of people who were not racist and became racist because they felt attacked and were accused of it on a regular basis. Now I believe they just prove idiots right by their actions, but it is a symptom of a larger problem. You can be racist, no matter your skin color. Teaching otherwise is in itself an act of racism. Someone needs to break the cycle or we're doomed to repeat it forever.

However this ignores the fact that racism is still very much alive and kicking, it's not a case of judging by what your grandparents generation did when it's being perpetuated. Those granparents taught their children to be racist who then taught their children so many attitudes are still the same...which was my point as much as the fact that there's a great deal of history to deal with. The attitudes and views of those granparents didn't go away, they didn't suddenly see the light, they passed those views on through the generations as did the grandparents of the viticms, they told their children about how they couldn't sit on 'white seats' etc, and they told their children, it's there in the modern generations minds, it's not the past, it's still here. Trust me on this one, the distrust is there for generations. It's not a case of judging people on their father's actions, it's a case of being very wary about their views on you.
Yes you can be racist whatever your colour but you are going the wrong way about trying to solve this problem.

Drasken

Brown Belt
Reaction score
However this ignores the fact that racism is still very much alive and kicking, it's not a case of judging by what your grandparents generation did when it's being perpetuated. Those granparents taught their children to be racist who then taught their children so many attitudes are still the same...which was my point as much as the fact that there's a great deal of history to deal with. The attitudes and views of those granparents didn't go away, they didn't suddenly see the light, they passed those views on through the generations as did the grandparents of the viticms, they told their children about how they couldn't sit on 'white seats' etc, and they told their children, it's there in the modern generations minds, it's not the past, it's still here. Trust me on this one, the distrust is there for generations. It's not a case of judging people on their father's actions, it's a case of being very wary about their views on you.
Yes you can be racist whatever your colour but you are going the wrong way about trying to solve this problem.

Okay, I'll bite and even share. My father was racist. Heck he was a ranking member of the KKK. I was told all my life how white people were better. But I'm not a racist. My wife, who I've been with for 8 years is Hispanic. Many of my friends are black. I rejected teachings of hate and know many who have done the same.
Now I admit that racism still exists. It is an unfortunate truth, and I doubt it will ever go away completely. But it isn't exclusively a white thing, nor has it ever been exclusive to white people. Different groups hate for differences in race or religion and have throughout time. It is wrong and I hope one day we evolve past it.

However two wrongs don't make a right. And just because someone is racist against you should not give you free reign to do the same.
Saying all white people are racist is as racist as saying all black people are lazy and steal. Individuals should be judged on their own merits, not on stereotypes. Defending someone for doing something wrong, on the basis that it was done to them makes no sense to me.

My point is that you can't judge someone by a skin color or religious view before getting to know them first. It 's wrong no matter who does it. I don't deny it happens, but I will step in and say something if I see it happen near me. If more people would there would be more change. But I will not feel guilty for something I haven't done. Nobody should be expected to.

*After reading my post, I noticed it could possibly be seen as combative. I would just like to add in this edit that I in no way mean to attack you in this debate, only that I'm very passionate when it comes to this topic. It hits home for me because I have been accused of racism on a constant basis, something I don't enjoy or find amusing at all. It also boggles my mind that since I'm white, it is apparently socially acceptable.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, I'll bite and even share. My father was racist. Heck he was a ranking member of the KKK. I was told all my life how white people were better. But I'm not a racist. My wife, who I've been with for 8 years is Hispanic. Many of my friends are black. I rejected teachings of hate and know many who have done the same.
Now I admit that racism still exists. It is an unfortunate truth, and I doubt it will ever go away completely. But it isn't exclusively a white thing, nor has it ever been exclusive to white people. Different groups hate for differences in race or religion and have throughout time. It is wrong and I hope one day we evolve past it.

However two wrongs don't make a right. And just because someone is racist against you should not give you free reign to do the same.
Saying all white people are racist is as racist as saying all black people are lazy and steal. Individuals should be judged on their own merits, not on stereotypes. Defending someone for doing something wrong, on the basis that it was done to them makes no sense to me.

My point is that you can't judge someone by a skin color or religious view before getting to know them first. It 's wrong no matter who does it. I don't deny it happens, but I will step in and say something if I see it happen near me. If more people would there would be more change. But I will not feel guilty for something I haven't done. Nobody should be expected to.

*After reading my post, I noticed it could possibly be seen as combative. I would just like to add in this edit that I in no way mean to attack you in this debate, only that I'm very passionate when it comes to this topic. It hits home for me because I have been accused of racism on a constant basis, something I don't enjoy or find amusing at all. It also boggles my mind that since I'm white, it is apparently socially acceptable.

I didn't take your post as being combatative at all, you came across as being passionate about what you write which is a good thing. I spend my time in schools being 'punished' especially at Christian holiday times for 'killing Jesus', it wasn't fun, I had a lot of fights. My mother was the only survivor of her family to come out of the concentration camps, this not just affects me it affects my daughter and perhaps when she has children it will affect them. the effect may be lessening through each generation but it doesn't hurt any less. I belong to a Jewish organisation that provides security for us here, every year attacks on Jewsih people go up, anti semitic actions get worse. We have a couple of very right Wing extrmeist organisations here who do their level best to make non white not Christian families lives hell.
In an ideal world yes we don't judge by colour, religion or race but many still do, even though they deny it. You can see it on MT, any time anything Moslem is mentioned it's never favourable to Moslems. There's a lot of people who even see Europeans as one amorphous mass and not as different nationalities or even races, some as in the UK all in one country.
However to blame everythng concerned with racism on universities is a tad silly, how many universities and colleges are there in the USA? Are they all teaching this or is this just one course in one university?
I've not said that one side is racist the other isn't, what I'm saying is that old teachings linger long...on both sides. Your country finally legalislated that black people were equal but you can't make them feel equal by changing a law, you can't make either side understand each other by using the law. There has to be proper education, you can't say well that was in the past, you have to have each side understand why they have racist feelings towards each other. Facing the past and working together rather than working apart has to be the way forward.

Drasken

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Oh of course it's not the fault of the colleges/universities that there is still racism. However, it doesn't help anything when they spew racist bullcrap like what was described in the original post. It just serves to take a very sensitive subject, throw it in the spotlight and make it seem socially acceptable to be racist against white people because apparently we deserve it, even if we ourselves as individuals are not racist. Now don't get me wrong, a racist deserves to be called out in public. I have done this several times and the look on their face is priceless. But an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.

Also, considering what I've said about my father, it's funny to me that my mother and I found out that she is Jewish in heritage. We looked up her family history finally to find that her family had fled from Europe during WW2 and many of her family actually were in the concentration camps, only a couple survived. Unfortunately we had no idea prior to this because her family tried to blend in by forsaking their religion and not telling their children where they come from. It's sad. But I have noticed that, with me being proud of my heritage, including being Jewish ( being so on my mother's side of course ) that I have recently had to deal with some small amount of racism. This just makes me more passionate on this topic.

Thank you for also sharing your personal experience. It helps to see where you are coming from as well and I believe that is very valuable in a discussion such as this.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's several important questions to be asked here though....

Is this university actually teaching that whites are racist? The author of the article says they are but is he to be believed or does he have a specific political agenda to push?
If this university is teaching that whites are racist does this mean all of Americas's colleges and universities are? if they aren't how does accusing all of these places of learning work? If a specific institution is doing something wrong, say so, why accuse thousands of honest teachers and dons of teaching hatred, racism etc? It seems ridiculous that all places of learning get tarred with the same brush as one alleged bad one.

Latest Discussions