I got my orange belt!!!!

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ooooooooo, so I ask a simple question and get "2" red marks. Whoa Dude!

Are you a little "sensitive" maybe?

And you don't even sign your name, ya woosie. Come on, man up, who are you?

BTW, if you can't handle a basic question on your art and your system how are you going to answer a serious one? Crying? Running home to mama? Calling me bad names?

Damn, bet I get another red mark for this too...... :)

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

ATTENTION
ALL USERS:

Please keep the discussion at a mature, respectful level. Please review our sniping policy http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/sho...d.php?p=427486. Feel free to use the Ignore feature to ignore members whose posts you do not wish to read (it is at the bottom of each member's profile). Thank you.

-Sheldon Bedell
-MT Moderator-

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Folks,

Before this thread gets too far out of hand, I'd like to say a few things.

1) The main point of this thread is acknowledging the OPs new rank.

2) If you have questions about things that were/were not done, ask, but do it in a polite fashion. Perhaps sparring is not required at that rank.

3) Rep issues should not be discussed in a thread. If someone is having issues with rep, there are procedures to follow, that being to contact an Admin. The Admins on this forum would be: myself, Shesulsa, Lisa and Bob Hubbard.

4) If anyone hasn't already, I suggest reading the forum rules. We like to keep Martial Talk a friendly place to talk about various subjects. If someone feels the need to make a rude post, perhaps you should review the forum rules first and think twice before you post.

Mike Slosek
MT Asst. Admin

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ok...sigh................

I have to ask. You are training in a "Martial Art", right?

You did pass a test for your "orange" belt, right?

But you did not, and I ask again, did not "spar"?

So, uh, where does the term "martial" enter the equation?

Sorry, I don't mean to be rude but I am curious?

Oh yeah, congratulations.

Wade let me add something here for thought and see if it make any sense, sparring isa product to determine if they have heart. Alot of school does not allow sparring uintil green belt when they feel the students have enough of the basic to begin without getting hurt. Maybe by chance that is in the school he is at. Remember every school runs different criteria's.
icon10.gif

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Congratulations!

In my Tang Soo Do school, we don't spar until we've been training for at least six months. From the beginning, we do one-on-one partner kicking which really builds endurance and gives a little bit of control. Anyway, you are not alone in not having sparred from the beginning. I couldn't wait either. When you get your sparring equipment, don't forget shinguards. A lot of people don't want to fuss with them...until they get hit in the shins.

Board-breaking is a blast, too. Some people don't understand what board-breaking is about and make fun of it. It teaches a person how to apply a maximum amount of force to a small area - important in a self-defense situation.

Have fun. :)

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
OK, I have been thinking about my answer since July and am still having trouble with it. If "sparring" is not a part of a "martial art" then can not anything, IE: tennis, swimming, poker, be called a "martial art"? I'm not talking about full contact, I'm talking about every aspect of sparring. So, if sparring is not part of the martial arts then what is? I just got slammed and lost rep points ( because I called this into question, am I now going to be banned because I am still curious? I was warned not to talk about this in public so I guess this is the end, so, ............................................................

See you in Vegas, BTW, if I am on your testing board, good freaking luck.

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
I went to my first belt testing Thursday and got my orange belt!!!! Woo-hoo! It wasn't really too bad though, I had my form and one steps down pretty good. I really enjoyed watching the other adults do their testing, it really showed me I have ALOT to work on. I'm really looking forward to getting to point where I get to board breaking and sparring. Anyway, I just wanted to brag.... :ultracool.....not really, I'm just excited to make that first step. I really need to work on getting stretched out though. I think that's going to be my main obstacle at being good at TKD. I do about 30 minutes a day after I warm up. Any other suggestions? Thanks!

ukdal1,

Congrats on the grading. I remember my first test -- I was scared to death. It remains just as important to me as all my other gradings.

I know you were kidding about bragging because:

• you talked about what you learned watching others
  • you talked about what you need to work on
  • you talked about what you're doing to improve your flexibility
  • you asked for suggestions
This attitude is what will make you a good martial arts student, no matter when you get to spar or break. Your teacher will tell you when s/he feels you're ready to spar. In the meantime, if you feel ready, there's no harm in asking. It is only one piece of the puzzle, and you're just beginning.

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Congrats on earning your rank!!

I second what Gordon is saying about your post...it's good that you recognize that you need improvement, and are willing to take suggestions.

Also, it's ok to brag every once in a while. You've earned a rank...that's something to be proud of.

It's just a shame that this thread was brought back out by someone trying to derail it.

Latest Discussions