I got my orange belt!!!!

ukdal1

White Belt
Reaction score
I went to my first belt testing Thursday and got my orange belt!!!! Woo-hoo! It wasn't really too bad though, I had my form and one steps down pretty good. I really enjoyed watching the other adults do their testing, it really showed me I have ALOT to work on. I'm really looking forward to getting to point where I get to board breaking and sparring. Anyway, I just wanted to brag.... :ultracool.....not really, I'm just excited to make that first step. I really need to work on getting stretched out though. I think that's going to be my main obstacle at being good at TKD. I do about 30 minutes a day after I warm up. Any other suggestions? Thanks!

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
First - congratulations!

Second - flexibility will come, but it's a long, slow process. If you push it too hard now, you'll just hurt yourself, and slow, or halt your progress. Keep doing what you're doing and you should be fine.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Congratulations!

Kacey is right, flexibilty will come. Be patient, if you work at it, it will come.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Congratulations, looking forward to hearing more of your journey as time goes on.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congratulations! people may go on about not needing belts etc but isn't it wonderful when you pass a grading!! :boing2: Well done!

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Congrats and like others your flexabilty will come hang in there.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good for you. Passing the test is the highlight. No matter the belt color it is always cool to celebrate the passing and the new belt. However, use it as incentive to work harder.

It's funny as a 2nd dan in Judo I feel I know less about the art than I did as a yellow belt. Remember, if there is one thing that rings true always in life it is this......."The more you learn, the more you understand you don't know."

However, congratulations are certainly in order.

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You passed to the yellow belt? The first test may be in some ways the hardest one, right? So we continue to practice and get faster, stronger, and more limber, learning new techniques and understanding them better.

Like it was said, you have to avoid injury if you wish to optimize your range of motion, so don't force your stretching too hard. Don't push yourself such that you get hurt -- pulling a muscle or worse, connective tissue, because this will impede your progress.

Now, congratulations on your testing and passing. Now, you have a new form to learn, and everyone will know that you are not such a beginner! This is very good! Soon enough, it will be time for the Green Belt, and that's no joke!

Enjoy the heat of the summertime, it makes for more pleasant stretching, and I will try to do the same. Maybe a few "extra / easy" stretches in the morning time, a little meditative time waking up stretching?

All the Best!

Robert

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok...sigh................

I have to ask. You are training in a "Martial Art", right?

You did pass a test for your "orange" belt, right?

But you did not, and I ask again, did not "spar"?

So, uh, where does the term "martial" enter the equation?

Sorry, I don't mean to be rude but I am curious?

Oh yeah, congratulations.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
But you did not, and I ask again, did not "spar"?

So, uh, where does the term "martial" enter the equation?
Sparring is not martial to me. At best, it's quasi-martial, as in martial sport. Now if someone wants to spar, then by all means have a blast. But let's not mix up martial sport and martial art. At least, not at the expense of ukdal1's celebration. This topic of sparring/MA's has been done to death here in other threads.

Latest Discussions