I dare post another video.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Very nice setup. Creative. Can you adjust the springs for harder or softer strikes?

Your technique is looking better but you need to work on extension with your kicks. You are not quite "finishing" your kicks. This could partially be a style thing.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
For the strikes they're good speed but you need to keep your hands up. Because if someone slipped a strike and threw a big punch there'd be no defence

OP
skyeisonfire

skyeisonfire

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Very nice setup. Creative. Can you adjust the springs for harder or softer strikes?

Your technique is looking better but you need to work on extension with your kicks. You are not quite "finishing" your kicks. This could partially be a style thing.

Yes, It is adjustable tension.

OP
skyeisonfire

skyeisonfire

Blue Belt
Reaction score

It's the dummy, I can't kick "through" it because of the tension. There is a stopping point. Unlike a bag that can flop around.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's the dummy, I can't kick "through" it because of the tension. There is a stopping point. Unlike a bag that can flop around.
that's what makes it more life like, there a " tension" in people you kick, you can't kick through them either unless you develop significant power. try and break the device, when you can, build a stronger one

OP
skyeisonfire

skyeisonfire

Blue Belt
Reaction score
that's what makes it more life like, there a " tension" in people you kick, you can't kick through them either unless you develop significant power. try and break the device, when you can, build a stronger one

Ummm...no

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nice striking pole.

If I may...Keep your hands up and complete your recovery as though you are in a fight. Don't do the attack technique and pose or stand there admiring your action. The action isn't over...return to your ready position or continue to attack. You don't want to ingrain attacking and admiring. Make returning to your ready position as a part of your technique.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When you train on your kicking target, should you

1. pull your kick back, or
2. drop your foot down next to the kicking target?

IMO, 2 > 1.

If you train 2, in your mind, your opponent is always a moving target rather than a static target.

Every kick should be also a forward step.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Awesome. And the fact you made that? Wicked awesome as they say in Boston.

Really nice job, Skyeisonfire.

OP
skyeisonfire

skyeisonfire

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Not sure if I'm going to offend anyone, so I apologize deeply in advance - I'm well aware and capable of keeping my hands up and not posing which has been programmed into me by my teachers since day one, kinda like kindergarten stuff....I get that it's to teach myself "good habbits". I would not really fight this way in front of a live opponent or when sparring, and I don't when in actual use. I'm focused on my opponent and doing that very thing. I practice for a couple of hours, and sometimes three, in the heat and everything else is not so important except for the things that I'm focusing to work out or improve on. So, yeah, I fully understand the importance of what everybody is saying....that being said, thank you for caring enough to post your advice to help me out.

The other thing, I've no longer work in any traditional methods. I've practiced them as far as what I've learned, but it's not the path I'm choosing. Years ago, I started in TKD, then some kind of kung fu style which I'm too old to remember lol, and recently Wing Chun. My journey is going in different directions now. I'm trying to learn everything that works only for me even if it's not the way everyone else does things. There are so many ways to kick, punch, block, etc.. depending on who you to talk to, so I won't always follow any particular style or methodology. In fact, I can be very unorthodox, but I won't apologize for that. I'm quite happy that way. I've been watch many different styles and picking and choosing the things I want to try...so in these videos, it's just me adding more things to the pot..whether it's me doing things perceivably correct or not. That's why I call it practicing.

In the end, I'm not doing it all right, nor doing it all wrong. Everyone seems to have their strong opinions as I've been finding out.

I'm always forever going to be the student, not the teacher, or the Sifu, or whatever title there may be. I won't ever call myself a "master or grandmaster" because I will forever be learning different things and growing. But in my own twisted way.

There will probably be all kinds of follow up on this lol.

P.s. I'm still going to post my videos just for the fun of it

Last edited:
OP
skyeisonfire

skyeisonfire

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Awesome. And the fact you made that? Wicked awesome as they say in Boston.

Really nice job, Skyeisonfire.
Thank you . My training resources are limited here so I have to be resourceful. But I try to make things for a specific type of training. It's fun to do as well. Guess it's kind of like crafting.

OP
skyeisonfire

skyeisonfire

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Did you make that pole for striking?

Yes, it's a specifically designed tool to focus on punching and different combinations that I want to practice pinpoint or more specific targeted areas and on a central plane. Thus, the specific anatomically placed padding. Kinda like a wing chun dummy without arms.
The heavy bag is more unspecific because it obviously is unmarked by targetting areas. When I get my bag support built, I'll be able to focus on power and higher speed stuff and include more side attacks rather than straight ahead. Btw, this bag support will also be a multi purpose workout station as well. I'll post it when I get it working.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
So she spends her time effort and money trying to make something unique to help her training and your advice is to break it...yeah that's not great advice tbh

OP
skyeisonfire

skyeisonfire

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Added a few photos of it during the finishing of construction. Don't use a photo sharing site to embed but I put it in my photo section on the forum.