I dare post another video.

OP
skyeisonfire

skyeisonfire

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Very nice setup. Creative. Can you adjust the springs for harder or softer strikes?

Your technique is looking better but you need to work on extension with your kicks. You are not quite "finishing" your kicks. This could partially be a style thing.

Thanks, I've been practicing on full extension...but here's the thing, at least in my thinking, sometimes I like staying low and not having full extension, so long as my kick is powerful and fast and hits it target. It's easier for me to retract or withdraw quicker that way. The lower posture, even if I'm not "fully" erect helps my "grounding" better. Therefore, I feel more stable than acting like an easy lever to catch and control. Yes, I've seen proper posture and technique get used against people. But each situation and individuals are different and I don't think perfect execution is always going to save the day. But I'm not a master of anything, so take this with a grain of salt.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So she spends her time effort and money trying to make something unique to help her training and your advice is to break it...yeah that's not great advice tbh
well yea,when her power has exceeded its structural integrity, its no longer any use tO her to develop power, so she needs a stronger one anyway, your not still walking round in trouser that no longer fit you, are you just because they were expensive perhaps you are

it's a matter of training intensity, I try and break all training equipment and occasionally succeed which is then a success of my development. I spent months trying to bend support bars on the bus bet they couldn't understand how that happened, I do enjoy my bus ride strength training

Last edited:

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
There is more to training and practice than power. Range, Specific target striking, specific body part striking, and such. Keep at it skyeisonfire. You are doing far more that most and being innovative as well. Keep going and never give up.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There is more to training and practice than power. Range, Specific target striking, specific body part striking, and such. Keep at it skyeisonfire. You are doing far more that most and being innovative as well. Keep going and never give up.
well yeah you would say that with your coat stand, hitting the target is indeed important, but after that there's only power that matters

OP
skyeisonfire

skyeisonfire

Blue Belt
Reaction score
well yeah you would say that with your coat stand, hitting the target is indeed important, but after that there's only power that matters

jobo....my apologies, I should've explained about this type of dummy device. It was only intended for working on speed, coordination, and more precision. Never intended for full power. It's just filling in for my bag as well until I get my new bag support/workout station. This new station will incorporate a place to attach resistance bands, a place to put my wall bag, as well as pull-up bars. And of course, my 100lb heavy bag and my existing 40lb bag. I'll resume power and speed drills with those.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
jobo....my apologies, I should've explained about this type of dummy device. It was only intended for working on speed, coordination, and more precision. Never intended for full power. It's just filling in for my bag as well until I get my new bag support/workout station. This new station will incorporate a place to attach resistance bands, a place to put my wall bag, as well as pull-up bars. And of course, my 100lb heavy bag and my existing 40lb bag. I'll resume power and speed drills with those.
well wmhen that arives you can try and break the old one

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would say that on any training that is target acquisition and good form specific training. Just as someone working pad work isn't all about power. Now if Your training is only power then you are missing some important aspects.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Yes, it's a specifically designed tool to focus on punching and different combinations that I want to practice pinpoint or more specific targeted areas and on a central plane. Thus, the specific anatomically placed padding. Kinda like a wing chun dummy without arms.
The heavy bag is more unspecific because it obviously is unmarked by targetting areas. When I get my bag support built, I'll be able to focus on power and higher speed stuff and include more side attacks rather than straight ahead. Btw, this bag support will also be a multi purpose workout station as well. I'll post it when I get it working.

I am going to steel part of that design to make what I call my indoor tree. I could not figure out the base and I like what you did. It is just the post I am talking about is a 6 x6 and will not move

Use to hit trees to train sanda and I want to do that again and not have my neighbors think I’m crazy

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I would say that on any training that is target acquisition and good form specific training. Just as someone working pad work isn't all about power. Now if Your training is only power then you are missing some important aspects.
there no reason to kick someone gently, so power is the only important thing, good fgorm and power should be the same thing, if you can produce significant power with out good form then there's nothing wrong with your form

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not sure if I'm going to offend anyone, so I apologize deeply in advance - I'm well aware and capable of keeping my hands up and not posing which has been programmed into me by my teachers since day one, kinda like kindergarten stuff....I get that it's to teach myself "good habbits". I would not really fight this way in front of a live opponent or when sparring, and I don't when in actual use. I'm focused on my opponent and doing that very thing. I practice for a couple of hours, and sometimes three, in the heat and everything else is not so important except for the things that I'm focusing to work out or improve on. So, yeah, I fully understand the importance of what everybody is saying....that being said, thank you for caring enough to post your advice to help me out.

The other thing, I've no longer work in any traditional methods. I've practiced them as far as what I've learned, but it's not the path I'm choosing. Years ago, I started in TKD, then some kind of kung fu style which I'm too old to remember lol, and recently Wing Chun. My journey is going in different directions now. I'm trying to learn everything that works only for me even if it's not the way everyone else does things. There are so many ways to kick, punch, block, etc.. depending on who you to talk to, so I won't always follow any particular style or methodology. In fact, I can be very unorthodox, but I won't apologize for that. I'm quite happy that way. I've been watch many different styles and picking and choosing the things I want to try...so in these videos, it's just me adding more things to the pot..whether it's me doing things perceivably correct or not. That's why I call it practicing.

In the end, I'm not doing it all right, nor doing it all wrong. Everyone seems to have their strong opinions as I've been finding out.

I'm always forever going to be the student, not the teacher, or the Sifu, or whatever title there may be. I won't ever call myself a "master or grandmaster" because I will forever be learning different things and growing. But in my own twisted way.

There will probably be all kinds of follow up on this lol.

P.s. I'm still going to post my videos just for the fun of it
Regarding the “keep your hands up” bit: for me, when I work on a heavy bag (kind of analogous to your contraption there) I do not spar the bag. Instead, I work on fundamental techniques, in isolation. That means I am often not holding a “proper” fighting stance, with hands in a guard position, etc.

I don’t find it useful to spar a heavy bag. I DO find it useful to isolate and focus on one technique at a time or in small combinations, and with repetition. It’s a drill. It is not a fight.

I get the feeling that might be kind of what you are doing too.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
there no reason to kick someone gently, so power is the only important thing, good fgorm and power should be the same thing, if you can produce significant power with out good form then there's nothing wrong with your form
I didn't say 'gently'.
Power may be the only important thing for 'you'.
"...if you can produce significant power without good form then there's nothing wrong with your form"
This shows, again, you are significantly ignorant of which you speak. Power generation with bad form can lead to bad results unless you are lucky. Possibly you have had greater luck that skill.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I didn't say 'gently'.
Power may be the only important thing for 'you'.
"...if you can produce significant power without good form then there's nothing wrong with your form"
This shows, again, you are significantly ignorant of which you speak. Power generation with bad form can lead to bad results unless you are lucky. Possibly you have had greater luck that skill.
this is the whole crux of the discussion on the form/ kata thread, where people are putting aesthetics above functionality, the only purpose of kicking someone is to hurt them,i, your kick with or with out good form results in that outcome then it was successful, if your kick with bad form is more powerful than your kick with good form, as would likely be the case with myself, then its a better kick.

you could argue, that a good form kick should always be more powerful than a bad form kick, but in my experience that is not always true, as I can develop significantly greater power and therefore injury with soccer kicks, which by ma standards would be bad form

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
I can develop significantly greater power and therefore injury with soccer kicks

Yeah, maybe, sometimes, (unless you've practiced good form properly) but...

Your average football kick is so telegraphed you might as well give me three days notice in writing, followed up by an email and phone call, that you're going to do it.

Oh, and even footballers practice good form for kicking, because a proper kick on a ball develops more power than a random grunty punt, plus has more accuracy and control.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah, maybe, sometimes, (unless you've practiced good form properly) but...

Your average football kick is so telegraphed you might as well give me three days notice in writing, followed up by an email and phone call, that you're going to do it.

Oh, and even footballers practice good form for kicking, because a proper kick on a ball develops more power than a random grunty punt, plus has more accuracy and control.
no believe me my over the top ( of the ball) tackle kick in to the shin is far from teligraphed judging by the considerable number of people I've knocked over with it. in both soccer and ma

but otherwise your missing the point a good form soccer kick is a bad form ma kick, yet both deliver considerable power and accuracy

Latest Discussions