I dare post another video.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
this is the whole crux of the discussion on the form/ kata thread, where people are putting aesthetics above functionality, the only purpose of kicking someone is to hurt them,i, your kick with or with out good form results in that outcome then it was successful, if your kick with bad form is more powerful than your kick with good form, as would likely be the case with myself, then its a better kick.

you could argue, that a good form kick should always be more powerful than a bad form kick, but in my experience that is not always true, as I can develop significantly greater power and therefore injury with soccer kicks, which by ma standards would be bad form
That was a different forum, different discussion, different purpose.
There are kicks that are for simply off balancing, for setting up a different attack, for countering an attack, for controlling a position, for hiding a step in, and other reasons. Form, structure, and positioning would be more important when using a kick.
Bad form with a powerful kick can also have one in a bad position if the kick is missed not allowing a good recovery. Such can leave one open for an immediate counter attack.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That was a different forum, different discussion, different purpose.
There are kicks that are for simply off balancing, for setting up a different attack, for countering an attack, for controlling a position, for hiding a step in, and other reasons. Form, structure, and positioning would be more important when using a kick.
Bad form with a powerful kick can also have one in a bad position if the kick is missed not allowing a good recovery. Such can leave one open for an immediate counter attack.
any kick that misses leaves you in a vulnerable position, if someone kicks and misses me il knock them over( nearly) every time, I'l get them quite often even if it lands anyone stood one stood on one leg is vulrable

the rest is nonsense, a kick should cause damage or at least pain or there's no point doing it

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I agree with @Danny T . There are numerous ways or things to do with a kick. It is foolish to think every kick you throw is going to do damage. No one can say that as a truth.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
any kick that misses leaves you in a vulnerable position, if someone kicks and misses me il knock them over( nearly) every time, I'l get them quite often even if it lands anyone stood one stood on one leg is vulrable

the rest is nonsense, a kick should cause damage or at least pain or there's no point doing it
That's your opinion and if that's the way you use all of your kicks...

Your statement, "the rest is nonsense, a kick should cause damage or at least pain or there's no point doing it" I disagree with. Again you show your ignorance. Would I be correct in that your opinion is that all strikes should cause damage or at least pain or there's no point doing them as well?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Your statement, "the rest is nonsense, a kick should cause damage or at least pain or there's no point doing it" I disagree with. Again you show your ignorance. Would I be correct in that your opinion is that all strikes should cause damage or at least pain or there's no point doing them as well?
well yes, I'm not punching someone with out the intention of breaking their nose or such, even if it's a jab to set up a right hook, I'm still trying to do the most possible damage with the jab, which would ideally break their nose, I've seen a lot of people knocked over with jabs

a feint is of course different, but then that not a strike by defintion

OP
skyeisonfire

skyeisonfire

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Yeah I was kinda thinking about asking if I could get one shipped to me...

Lol..that would be quite expensive. Took 4 days straight to build, from conceiving it, figuring things out, finding the right hardware between 2 hardware stores and craft store, then the actual construction. In my gallery, you can see the basic construction and maybe replicate it?

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score

I agree. The teep comes to mind. Ya it hurts, but it's primarily to make space, not finish guys.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
well yes, I'm not punching someone with out the intention of breaking their nose or such, even if it's a jab to set up a right hook, I'm still trying to do the most possible damage with the jab, which would ideally break their nose, I've seen a lot of people knocked over with jabs
Ahh...see this is the crux. Just because it is what you do doesn't mean that is how it is to be done by everyone else.

a feint is of course different, but then that not a strike by defintion
I agree with this...a feint is not a strike and neither is a fake which is different from a feint.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ahh...see this is the crux. Just because it is what you do doesn't mean that is how it is to be done by everyone else.

I agree with this...a feint is not a strike and neither is a fake which is different from a feint.
Well clearly not, but it's rather how it should be done if they want to be effective, which I can only conclude us not of great importance to you !

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well clearly not, but it's rather how it should be done if they want to be effective, which I can only conclude us not of great importance to you !
Effective would be depended upon what particular result one is attempting to attain at any particular moment.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Effective would be depended upon what particular result one is attempting to attain at any particular moment.
well seems as its fighting, one may assume that those attainments would reasonably include an incapacitated opponent and yourself with the least damage possibl. that incapacitation could also include them going off the whole idea after being punched hard on the nose or perhaps using the opportunity to remove yourself, what other attainments were you considering ? perhaps you wanted an autograph from them ,possible if it's a celeb your up against !

Last edited:

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
well seems as its fighting, one may assume that those attainments would reasonably include an incapacitated opponent and yourself with the least damage possibl. that incapacitation could also include them going off the whole idea after being punched hard on the nose or perhaps using the opportunity to remove yourself, what other attainments were you considering ? perhaps you wanted an autograph from them ,possible if it's a celeb your up against !
There are efficient ways to incapacitate an opponent other than powerful kicks or punches.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There are efficient ways to incapacitate an opponent other than powerful kicks or punches.
would you like to give a few examples of what these may be in a striking art obviously there are also powerful knees and elbows and head butts, but after that I'm at a loss as to what your referring to !

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
would you like to give a few examples of what these may be in a striking art obviously there are also powerful knees and elbows and head butts, but after that I'm at a loss as to what your referring to !
The discussion hasn't been specific to a 'striking art' only.