How would you deal with multiple attackers who are bigger?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've often heard the "Take out the biggest one first" theory too. I think I'd be happy to take out any of them in a situation like that!

J

jkdhit

its happened to me once where i was being approached by a 3 guys bigger than me (me being short though) and i'm proud to say i walked away with them injured and not me :D

if you choose to use any weapons, it should be an improvised weapon because attackers dont always see these as obvious weapons like a knife, spray, gun, etc

i dont necessarily think its best to go after the biggest one first, i go after the smaller ones and use them as shields. if you can use proper locks and have good grip, it shouldn't be much of a problem. i ended up wearing them out by getting them to hit each other or refrain from throwing hits because of their friends which some of you may know is very tiring if you've ever tried to stop one of your own power punches

Laborn

Blue Belt
Reaction score
True, but i also see what my instructer says, if you take out the biggest , meanest one, then that puts doubt in the others. so i see both sides

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
jkdhit said:
its happened to me once where i was being approached by a 3 guys bigger than me (me being short though) and i'm proud to say i walked away with them injured and not me :D

if you choose to use any weapons, it should be an improvised weapon because attackers dont always see these as obvious weapons like a knife, spray, gun, etc

i dont necessarily think its best to go after the biggest one first, i go after the smaller ones and use them as shields. if you can use proper locks and have good grip, it shouldn't be much of a problem. i ended up wearing them out by getting them to hit each other or refrain from throwing hits because of their friends which some of you may know is very tiring if you've ever tried to stop one of your own power punches
Two things...
One: The whole idea with an improvised weapon is to have something to use if you Don't have a real weapon. If I've got a gun or a knife I'm certainly not going to pick up a beer-bottle or a handfull of gravel (unless I need to buy time to deploy my aforementioned weapons).

Two: I'm not going to specifically pick the biggest guy or the smallest, I'm going to pick the one closest to me. Also, I'm not going to waste time with [oftentimes difficult to execute for real] techniques like joint-locks or pain-compliance stuff. Those are fine if you are dealing with one opponent and for some reason, you decide to control him instead of dropping him. However, in most situations; and definately those involving multiple attackers, my goal is to get out of the situation. If that means using someones' face as a starting block, fine. I'm not going to hang around trying to dance with them.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
arnisador said:
I've often heard the "Take out the biggest one first" theory too. I think I'd be happy to take out any of them in a situation like that!

The biggest is not always the one in control or the one running the show. If you can identify the leader and take him out or scare him, or get his respect, then you get it easier with the rest. Not that it would be easy in the first place.

Laborn

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Think about it tho, multiple attackers are more confident, becuase of their numbers, so their guard, alertness, their senses usually drop, and if they have a big guy in the group they feel even better, i know this becuase of previous experience. So if they attack someone, and that someone attacks the biggest guy, and takes him out, then the others will be more scared, their convidence will drop even lower, becuase they think, *well if he's not afraid of that big guy, then he's sure not scared to fight me* so, my idea, and thinking, go after and take out the big guy, becuase that might put enough scare in the others that they MIGHT , let you escape *low chance tho* or they will continue fighting, BUT,their alertness and confidence lowers, which gives you a *TINY* advantage.

and guys, in a multiple attacker incedence, you need all the advantages you can get.

hope im helping lol

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Laborn said:
Think about it tho, multiple attackers are more confident, becuase of their numbers, so their guard, alertness, their senses usually drop, and if they have a big guy in the group they feel even better, i know this becuase of previous experience. So if they attack someone, and that someone attacks the biggest guy, and takes him out, then the others will be more scared, their convidence will drop even lower, becuase they think, *well if he's not afraid of that big guy, then he's sure not scared to fight me* so, my idea, and thinking, go after and take out the big guy, becuase that might put enough scare in the others that they MIGHT , let you escape *low chance tho* or they will continue fighting, BUT,their alertness and confidence lowers, which gives you a *TINY* advantage.

and guys, in a multiple attacker incedence, you need all the advantages you can get.

hope im helping lol

Yes the big guy does add confidence to many.

But I have looked through the "Big Guy" before, and told the guy giving orders, that I was coming for him, and what I was going to do to him in detail. The big guy in front of me, was no concerned because he believed I was not worried about him, and the rest saw that I did not care about him, and was going for the "Leader" to attack and hurt him.

Yes, taking out the big guy works sometimes, not all the time.

I was just offering from my experience that sometimes you have to use your brain and intuition and react and make decisions that are not the norm or the expected.

J

jkdhit

i didnt mean to sound overconfident but as with everything else, you do best when you are confident.

as for my choice in biggest and smallest, i had noticed that when you normally see a group fight, the smallest are usually in front that's why i said smallest. but yeah, the closest one would be best. perhaps the reason why the smallest are normally in front are because the bigger guys have a greater reach and height advantage

casper12

White Belt
Reaction score
if running is not an option then u better fight the dirtiest way u can possibly think of. bite ankles kick nuts take out knee caps fingers eyes throat toes whatever. if i couldnt run i would try and talk if that failed then im going to keep movin if not cornered and go for weaknesses on the opponent while trying to find a weapon.

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I think part of being a good or efficient martial artist is knowing, and truly knowing where your limitations are. While it is one thing to practice against a multiple attack in a studio, it is another in real life. Point is, if you are not too sure if you can handle that particular situation, and there is an escape route, use it. If no escape route then fight smart, break legs, knee caps, noses, jaws, jab the eyes, hit the groin, remember the groin. And by all means you do not have to finish the job, if an opening for an escape comes about, take off.

Christina05

Green Belt
Reaction score
I totally agree if you get a chance to get out of there get out of there. its not worth getting hurt over especially if you know you can't handle it.

Devin

White Belt
Reaction score
I think in that case if running isn't an option, its a matter of how many can you drag to hell with you.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Multiple attackers; larger attackers; and multiple, larger attackers? I'm anxiously awaiting the next thread in the series: "How do you deal with multiple larger attackers wielding meathooks?" :lol:

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am anxiously awaiting the "What technique do you do if you have a 12 inch butcher knife buried in your chest?" thread. :rolleyes:

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Bigshadow said:
I am anxiously awaiting the "What technique do you do if you have a 12 inch butcher knife buried in your chest?" thread. :rolleyes:

oh oh oh !! I know the answer to that one! Die. ;)

I'm with Devin on this as far as mentality - make 'em pay for it.

As for actual tactical ideas, my friends and I used to beat the crap out of each other trying to figure out how to win against multiple opponents and let me tell you, they don't have to be bigger and badder than you - numbers will eventually win out. The only effective tactic that ever worked reliably was to get outside of their circle or arc and try to keep them in each others way so that you are effectively fighting one at a time.

The downside? If you do this eventually there are too few for this tactic to be effective and you suddenly find yourself buried under three people stomping you to death.

green meanie

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Get ready for a beating and go down swinging!
icon10.gif

Explorer

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Yep ... running is number 1.

Taking out the leader OR the closest attacker to you is a good idea. But I think you've really got to hurt him. Drop him quick and very, very hard. Then, move. Keep moving (running) until you are safe. Then call the police and tell them what happened.

If you have a carry weapon and you can't run ... this is a good time to pull it out. If the bad guys back off ... fine. If they don't you can't waste time arguing with them ... you have to shoot. The old saying ... "Don't pull it out unless you plan to use it." fits very well here.

donna

Black Belt
Reaction score
evenflow1121 said:
I think part of being a good or efficient martial artist is knowing, and truly knowing where your limitations are. While it is one thing to practice against a multiple attack in a studio, it is another in real life. Point is, if you are not too sure if you can handle that particular situation, and there is an escape route, use it. If no escape route then fight smart, break legs, knee caps, noses, jaws, jab the eyes, hit the groin, remember the groin. And by all means you do not have to finish the job, if an opening for an escape comes about, take off.

Good Rational points. From a middle aged womans point of view, I know I havent a hope of 'Taking anybody out' so I would be running and screaming as loud as I could at the first opportunity. And if I was trapped I would be following the above quote of targeting areas that would slow the attack enough for me to escape.

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Tony said:
I know there was a thread on dealing with some one bigger and multiple attackers but its a whole new affair when the gang of attackers are much bigger and stronger than you, how would you all fair with such a threat?

It it were me I would run like Linford Christie!

Flee first, fight later. Flee isn't available...aiming for eyes, throats and knees while moving as much as possible. But there is an old saying about "strength in numbers" and another one about "mass wins wars". This isn't a pretty situation....and a good outcome is highly unlikely....

Latest Discussions