Coming to aid of LEO

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Okay, I am bored and skimming old/dead issues for ideas:

For the LEO's/or those civvies who have done this:

What would be the best way to help out an LEO in need, most importantly so that you don't get mistaken for a bad guy, and secondly so that you don't make a bad situation worse?

C

Chicago Green Dragon

Well if you are an off duty sworn LEO and you see an officer in distress as you come by him i would identify myself as a police officer so he doesnt think you are with the person he is dealing with or someone else coming in to add to the situation.
When you are dealing with a situation and you see another person you dont know if he is friend of foe. So identiftying youself is the first thing. Second ask him or her if they are ok and need help? Then go from there.

As for a citizen if you are in that situation. I would recommend asking him are you ok, do you need some help? Then going from there.

You dont ever just want to rush in on a LEO when there is a situation. You have no idea what has happend or what is going on and if you rush in you might get hurt or shot.

Chicago Green Dragon

:asian:

loki09789 said:

What would be the best way to help out an LEO in need, most importantly so that you don't get mistaken for a bad guy, and secondly so that you don't make a bad situation worse?

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Shodan said:
Sorry.......brain not working today- what is an LEO?

Thanks-
:asian: :karate:
Law Enforcement Officer. Also known as a police officer, highway patrol, sheriff, etc.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
loki09789 said:

Ask. Don't just rush in to help without knowing what you can/can't do. The LEO will be best able to determine if he needs assistance or if his own backup is coming on the way.

Some things are pretty obvious though. Suppose a LEO is shot, laying there on the ground, and the bad guy is getting away? Your best thing is to help the LEO by offering first aid or whatever, perhaps call 911 and basically be a very good witness if you saw the incident. It is usually advised that chasing the bad guy is not a wise choice as he may be armed or in a situation that you may not be aware.

- Ceicei

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If i was in a bad spot, alone and "rolling" with a bad guy, I would appreciate any help I could get. I would only recommend that the help be limited to holding him down and trying to get him cuffed. Leave any striking, spraying, etc up to the LEO. Identify yourself and say something like "Im here to help! or What do you need me to do?". If theres a group of LEO's dealing with something, stay out of it. Stay out of weapon issues unless its obvious a "good guy" is going to be killed and then be aware that you could be mis-identified in the process. Your right to use force in defense of yourself or another is practically the same under the law (with a few exceptions and liability issues) as mine.

My partner was involved in a foot chase with a guy who was faster and not wearing 10-20lbs. of gear, a bystander sprinted past him and tackled the BG. :) Now Im not recommending that you help every LEO you see, but if you do get involved you are on your own in the legal realm (unless the LEO ordered you to assist, which they do have the power to do and you can be charged with refusing in NYS if the request was reasonable).

T

TonyM.

Back in '82 I pulled an assailant off the back of a Burlinton VT Police officer that was struggling to cuff a suspect on the ground. I'd do it again.

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well I was watching Police Action and I saw this once incident where a female Police officer had stopped his guy on the highway! She checked his background and found he had been in jail. He seemed all nice at first and didn't seem to mind having his van searched. But it took a turn for the worst when the guys punched her to the ground unconscious! Luckliy a good samaritan stopped to help her, the guy had escaped but he was locked up for 60 years I think! The guy who helped her used her radio to get help from her colleages and an ambulance was called!

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tony said:
Well I was watching Police Action and I saw this once incident where a female Police officer had stopped his guy on the highway! She checked his background and found he had been in jail. He seemed all nice at first and didn't seem to mind having his van searched. But it took a turn for the worst when the guys punched her to the ground unconscious! Luckliy a good samaritan stopped to help her, the guy had escaped but he was locked up for 60 years I think! The guy who helped her used her radio to get help from her colleages and an ambulance was called!

Yep she had a broken jaw and was instantly knocked unconscious. A trucker came to her aid when he saw the attack.

I saw another one where a clearly intoxicated man with his two young children in the car was stopped for swerving and he attacked the officer, and when the officer went down, the man mounted him and kept pounding him with the children watching and screaming. The situation went on until his backup came. Where was the civilian help there?

OP
L

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
It was before the cops got there but I helped a security guard trying to apprehend a shop lifter who had run out of the mall, across the street and into a scrub brush area on his way to a housing area. I jumped into this at the point where the guy and the guard were entering the scrub... the guard was spent from chasing the guy through waist deep snow, so I called to him, told him I also worked security (at the time) and offered to help.

He told me the guy had a knife (Fun) and I took an angle on the guy until I was between him and the housing area. Lucky for me the guy was also tired and I could move faster through the snow than him. The bad thing was that a school bus was letting kids off about 75 yards away and I was seriously concerned that the guy might get stupid, so I held my ground. Luckily he only faked a charge at me and then changed direction parallel to the back of the houses along the highway

Long story short (too late), I was pacing the guy when the cops came on scene from the highway and started pointing guns and telling him to get down. I stopped REAL fast then. It was funny, but I stood around to make sure they didn't think I was fleeing, but they didn't even talk to me or anything. I walked slowly back to my car, in case they started calling or suspecting me, but nothing. I didn't ask if they wanted a statement or anything because I was applying for LEO jobs and didn't want my actions to be confused with an "audition" for them.

I have to assume that the security guard called in my description when it was reported to the cops...

C

Chicago Green Dragon

Tony

I remember seeing that show. The offender was calm until he saw he was not going to just get off. He beat her pretty bad. I am glad to see she survived and also that a civilian stopped to help her.

Its like a box of chocolates you never know what you are going to get.

Chicago Green Dragon

Tony said:

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
Chicago Green Dragon said:
Tony

I remember seeing that show. The offender was calm until he saw he was not going to just get off. He beat her pretty bad. I am glad to see she survived and also that a civilian stopped to help her.

Its like a box of chocolates you never know what you are going to get.

Chicago Green Dragon

Hi Chicago Green Dragon

I watch that programme from time to time! It was sickening to see that guy beat the female Police Officer like that! Makes you realise that they do such a hard job! The guy who helped her was willing to help her after the incident, but I don't blame him because he was probably in fear of getting hurt himself. he did acted in selfless way and probably saved her life!
There are many incidents though where Police officers have been beat up and no one has helped them!

C

Chicago Green Dragon

Tony

It sickens me to see anyone get beat, but esp. a LEO. The scarey thing is that many people don't realize the severity of fighting with the police. If a person has no reguard for the law and fights the police what do you think he would do to a civilian.

Chicago Green Dragon

Tony said:
Hi Chicago Green Dragon

I watch that programme from time to time! It was sickening to see that guy beat the female Police Officer like that! Makes you realise that they do such a hard job! The guy who helped her was willing to help her after the incident, but I don't blame him because he was probably in fear of getting hurt himself. he did acted in selfless way and probably saved her life!
There are many incidents though where Police officers have been beat up and no one has helped them!

C

Chicago Green Dragon

Actually they might do worse. Since a LEO is armed and typically civialians arent.

Chicago Green Dragon

moving target said:
The same thing :(

K

Kevin Walker

loki09789 said:

First of all an LEO is a civvie!

Second of all if I saw a cop getting stomped into the ground, like any other civilian, I would go to his aid, but not specifically cause he's a cop.

G

Gary Crawford

WARNING! STRONG LANGUAGE!!! How not to get your A$$ kicked by police! (LINK REMOVED DUE TO ADULT CONTENT/LANGUAGE as per MT Rules & Policies)

M

Mark Weiser

First rule when assisting an LEO always use the Radio and request aid to the Officer. First make sure officer is safe and secure and needs any immeadate first aid. Then go to radio and key the mic.

"Dispatch clear the Channel emergency Traffic. Officer Down Officer Down! Give Location to Dispatch" Then protect the officer from further harm

You will see LEO's coming out of the woodwork trust me I have been in a few Officer needs assist calls.

Keep the rotating lights on (so other officers can find the unit faster) and kill the siren so the officer can hear the sirens of other officers it is for psychological reason so he or she knows help is coming. Always ask the officer his or her name(look at name badge if unable to respond but continue to talk with him or her reassure them they will be fine. If possible get the name of any wife or husband tell the officer the wife or husband needs them and wants to see them again.

Sincerely,
Mark E. Weiser

OP
L

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kevin Walker said:
First of all an LEO is a civvie!

Second of all if I saw a cop getting stomped into the ground, like any other civilian, I would go to his aid, but not specifically cause he's a cop.
LEO are not a civilian. Why? Because they have and exercise enforcement authority that goes beyond the civilian level. By virtue of the job description there will be situations that they have to deal with very differently than a civilian would. Civilians are not in the job of enforcement or detaining people on the average. If we, as civilians encounter similar situations we are generally obligated to retreat if reasonable. An LEO is usually going the other way while we are retreating. Thus the point of the thread. What are some things/safe practices/good ways to come to the aid of an LEO who 'seems' to be in need of assistance w/o complicating the situation further or getting shot/confused for a Bad Guy?

Good intentions aside, there are some smart practices that will make such civic minded, well meaning actions productive instead of stupid.

It would be like saying a soldier is a civilian in regards to Geneva Code or Combative/Non Combative status in a theater of operation, or an EMT is a civilian in terms of the laws in regards to their ministering first aid treatments.

Latest Discussions