How would a high level Tai Chi martial artist do against a high level MMA?

Shai Hulud

Purple Belt
Reaction score
So many factors to consider, including the preferences of the two high-level practitioners in question. It's a lot like asking who's stronger with regard to a professional strongman and an Olympic powerlifter.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In walks an MMA guy who retired in 97 and went back to the Tai Chi he did as a child, and says, "Who's the Master?

Obviously it would be Sho'nuff.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Lol. I didn't even ask which version, because when you said "keep on the borderlands," I know you're old school. I got that module in my very first, basic d&d set when I was in the 6th grade, around 1981.
You and I had the same childhood. In 81 I believe I would have been in fifth grade.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1981, married with five year old son and we were packing up to leave RAF Germany to new posting in Blighty.:D

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well, since this thread has gone off the rails, not having been that stable to begin with ... Xue, have you read Shop Class as Soul Craft? Good book.

“Philosopher and motorcycle repair-shop owner Crawford extols the value of making and fixing things in this masterful paean to what he calls “manual competence,” the ability to work with one’s hands. …With wit and humor, the author deftly mixes the details of his own experience as a tradesman and then proprietor of a motorcycle repair shop with more philosophical considerations.”
—Publishers Weekly (starred review)

Shop Class as Soulcraft Matthew B. Crawford

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Well, since this thread has gone off the rails, not having been that stable to begin with ... Xue, have you read Shop Class as Soul Craft? Good book.

“Philosopher and motorcycle repair-shop owner Crawford extols the value of making and fixing things in this masterful paean to what he calls “manual competence,” the ability to work with one’s hands. …With wit and humor, the author deftly mixes the details of his own experience as a tradesman and then proprietor of a motorcycle repair shop with more philosophical considerations.”
—Publishers Weekly (starred review)

Shop Class as Soulcraft Matthew B. Crawford

No, I'm in IT now and we don't have souls :D

I have not read that, but I am about to make an Amazon order and that has been added, thanks.

Now to get this thread back on track..... since there was no MMA, per say, in 1981 but there were Taiji masters would the length of time the art existed come into play as to who would win...AND....do both of the combatants have souls....or are one or both of them soulless freaks of nature...... all of this could make a difference

see what I did there ;) :D

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
No, I'm in IT now and we don't have souls :D

I have not read that, but I am about to make an Amazon order and that has been added, thanks.

Now to get this thread back on track..... since there was no MMA, per say, in 1981 but there were Taiji masters would the length of time the art existed come into play as to who would win...AND....do both of the combatants have souls....or are one or both of them soulless freaks of nature...... all of this could make a difference

see what I did there ;) :D
It depends. What are their alignments? Good? Evil? Neutral?
Chaotic or lawful?

If they are lawfully evil, they may have a soul tho it will be rotten. If chaotic evil then they may not have one at all since I doubt they would recognize a higher power.

If they are good or neutral, I'm afraid the answer is the same.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
It depends. What are their alignments? Good? Evil? Neutral?
Chaotic or lawful?

If they are lawfully evil, they may have a soul tho it will be rotten. If chaotic evil then they may not have one at all since I doubt they would recognize a higher power.

If they are good or neutral, I'm afraid the answer is the same.

But what if the MMA person is basically good with neutral leanings towards evil AND he has just eaten a Peanut butter and jelly sandwich while the Taiji master is mostly evil with neutral leanings towards goodness but he prefers Jasmine Green tea...and I understand the flipping these by referring to the MMA person as mostly evil with neutral leanings towards goodness and the Taiji master as basically good with neutral leanings towards evil would not only change the outcomes but possibly threaten the very fabric of the universe.... and would not even take their food and or drink preferences into account at that point because a suspect that would cause a complete breakdown of the system and we may all disappear in a poof of logic and then we would never find the answer of who would win....

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Peanut butter and jelly...ugh ( that's peanut butter and jam to us, jelly is a dessert), sandwiches should be proper Wensleydale cheese and home made chutney, that's what heroes eat!

images

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Lord you people are old. I was six in '81 and I turned 40 this year. Don't you all have some kids on your lawn to yell at? Hey, do any of you know the form that uses this?
coasters0.jpg

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
In order to play this game, I need more information on the Tai Chi man and on the MMAist. Can you provide a detailed profile of each using the template provided below? Try to provide as much detail as possible. The more detail you include, the more accurate I can be with my prediction. Thanks!

Character Profile Worksheet

Basic Statistics

Name:
Socioeconomic Level as a child:
Socioeconomic Level as an adult:
Hometown:
Current Residence:
Income:
Talents/Skills:
Salary:
Birth order:
Siblings (describe relationship):
Spouse (describe relationship):
Children (describe relationship):
Grandparents (describe relationship):
Grandchildren (describe relationship):
Significant Others (describe relationship):
Relationship skills:

Physical Characteristics:

Height:
Weight:
Race:
Eye Color:
Hair Color:
Glasses or contact lenses?
Skin color:
Shape of Face:
Distinguishing features:
How does he/she dress?
Mannerisms:
Habits: (smoking, drinking etc.)
Health:
Hobbies:
Martial Arts background (including length of time studied, specific styles, lineage, etc):
Favorite Sayings:
Speech patterns:
Disabilities:
Style (Elegant, shabby etc.):
Greatest flaw:
Best quality:

Intellectual/Mental/Personality Attributes and Attitudes

Educational Background:
Intelligence Level:
Any Mental Illnesses?
Learning Experiences:
Character's short-term goals in life:
Character's long-term goals in life:
How does Character see himself/herself?
How does Character believe he/she is perceived by others?
How self-confident is the character?
Does the character seem ruled by emotion or logic or some combination thereof?
What would most embarass this character?

Emotional Characteristics

Strengths/Weaknesses:
Introvert or Extrovert?
How does the character deal with anger?
With sadness?
With conflict?
With change?
With loss?
What does the character want out of life?
What would the character like to change in his/her life?
What motivates this character?
What frightens this character?
What makes this character happy?
Is the character judgmental of others?
Is the character generous or stingy?
Is the character generally polite or rude?

Spiritual Characteristics

Does the character believe in God?
What are the character's spiritual beliefs?
Is religion or spirituality a part of this character's life?
If so, what role does it play?
Lol, don't forget his ability to fight. Because that's what it about, not what art he does.