How would a high level Tai Chi martial artist do against a high level MMA?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree! I don't think we should get involve with style vs. style discussion. No matter what you may say, you will upset people on the other side.

I don't think there's anything new to be said now that we haven't already had a thread on over the years.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The OP asked about a "high level" Tai Chi practitioner, so talking about training norms may not be appropriate.

Besides, reading the OP, and other "white belt" posts here, leads me to believe this is another "let's go over to a TMA forum and tell the TMA guys how weak their style is" thread. Not polite, guys.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I don't know about you guys, but if the Tai Chi guy is a Wookie, my money's on the Tai Chi guy.

paitingman

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I think norms are still relevant to define exactly what high level is.

High level mma is pretty clear, but there are many facets of tai chi and tma that can be used to describe high level I think. On what grounds is it high level? High level form? High level energy control? High level fighting? Tma are pretty vast and aren't as cut and dry on the surface level as western styles, so I think training, focus, and norms are useful to qualify what high level might be for some people.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I'd say high level is anything above the waist. Low level is anything below the knee. So, the real question is, who would be more disadvantaged by giving up low level techniques. I think the MMA guy. I've never seen a Tai Chi technique that involved a low single leg takedown.

But, if there were, would it be called something like 'repulsing the gopher?' :)

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'd say high level is anything above the waist. Low level is anything below the knee. So, the real question is, who would be more disadvantaged by giving up low level techniques. I think the MMA guy. I've never seen a Tai Chi technique that involved a low single leg takedown.

But, if there were, would it be called something like 'repulsing the gopher?' :)
Snake Creeps.

Mephisto

Black Belt
Reaction score

Don't forget to keep the sound on.
Obviously that wasn't real MMA. MMA guys are all meatheads, brutes, and jerks. That guy didn't even have any visible tattoos no tribal armband showing or anything.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

OBVIOULSY you have never heard of Flying Five Finger One Armed Eight Pole Wudang Exploding Death Touch Taijiquan

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
OBVIOULSY you have never heard of Flying Five Finger One Armed Eight Pole Wudang Exploding Death Touch Taijiquan
Heard of it, but I get your point. Although I am well trained in the Seven Pole and Nine Pole variations of the style, in all of my travels, I could never find a master of the Eight Pole. I understand that there is only one, true heir to the secret of the Eighth Pole.

Interesting story. There used to be a lot more people who were well trained in the Eight Pole Wudang Exploding Death Touch. But somewhere along the way, it was understood to be the Ate Pole, and so they did. It was grizzly. Like a scene out of the The Road. Only one person survived... known for his insatiable appetite and willingness to eat his training partners. I'm not sure he gained any martial skill, but I sure wouldn't mess with him.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
ahhh yes... Ate Pole Wudang Exploding Death Touch Cannibalismfu.... but that is no longer considered Taijiquan...only the true Eight Pole is Taijiquan...usually you need to learn how to shoot Qi balls which you learn form DVDs

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Before we go further, we need to know what they rolled in the following traits:
Strength
Charisma
Wisdom
Intelligence
Dexterity

And how many experience points they have earned so far, on their various adventures. I mean, if they just rolled up these characters yesterday and the only module they've been thru so far is the Keep on the Boarderlands, well they just haven't been around the block enough yet. Hardly high level. We need to know these things in order to pass judgment on how this ought to play out.

And who would be the DM on this exercise?????

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Before we go further, we need to know what they rolled in the following traits:
Strength
Charisma
Wisdom
Intelligence
Dexterity

And how many experience points they have earned so far, on their various adventures. I mean, if they just rolled up these characters yesterday and the only module they've been thru so far is the Keep on the Boarderlands, well they just haven't been around the block enough yet. Hardly high level. We need to know these things in order to pass judgment on how this ought to play out.

And who would be the DM on this exercise?????
You forgot constitution. :)

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Damn, I knew there was something missing. It's been a long, long time.

But I stand by my observations.
Lol. I didn't even ask which version, because when you said "keep on the borderlands," I know you're old school. I got that module in my very first, basic d&d set when I was in the 6th grade, around 1981.

Latest Discussions