How to introduce unorthodox study into a commercialized dojo, as a student?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It would still be relevant, because the blade determines the function. Twisting, pushing and pulling a blade once it's in has nothing to do with the blade design. I can stab an ice pick into soft tissue and push, and pull to tear the flash, and doing so does not change the function and design purpose of the ice pick.

You picked one technique and made the assumption that it's the purpose and function of the blade
I don't think it matters. Because with case scenarios of knife attacks it seems to be a person going buck wild for sometimes a hundred strikes.

And so the difference between tearing or cutting or whatever. Is probably less important in a scenario where you are Violently attacking someone who is Violently attacking you back.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't think it matters. Because with case scenarios of knife attacks it seems to be a person going buck wild for sometimes a hundred strikes.

And so the difference between tearing or cutting or whatever. Is probably less important in a scenario where you are Violently attacking someone who is Violently attacking you back.
I think it matters. I also think it's the first thing the mind takes note of. The only time doesn't matter is if the attacker is on you in short notice. But if you have the time to see what you are being confronted with. I think it matters.. The only times I've seen cases of multiple stabs or slashes that exceed 10 is when the blade misses it's mark or when when one person has a knife and the other person doesn't. When both have a blade, things get really conservative in comparison.
1712631133541.jpeg

1712631457379.jpeg

I thought I would post this before someone says that attacking with a saw is stupid.. I'm just saying. the blade matters

gyoja

2nd Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it matters. I also think it's the first thing the mind takes note of. The only time doesn't matter is if the attacker is on you in short notice. But if you have the time to see what you are being confronted with. I think it matters.. The only times I've seen cases of multiple stabs or slashes that exceed 10 is when the blade misses it's mark or when when one person has a knife and the other person doesn't. When both have a blade, things get really conservative in comparison.
View attachment 30909

View attachment 30910

I thought I would post this before someone says that attacking with a saw is stupid.. I'm just saying. the blade matters
That’s some Afghan level violence!

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That’s some Afghan level violence!
I just think after a few swings, he realized it just wasn't going to cut it.

The victims were fortunate that it was a saw.

Last edited:
OP
G

GreenieMeanie

Black Belt
Reaction score
Which version of Piper, Nigel's or Lloyd's?
😂Yep you know your stuff. I started out with Lloyd’s, because his material was all I could find, and then I stumbled upon Nigel’s. I prefer Nigel’s.

OP
G

GreenieMeanie

Black Belt
Reaction score
View attachment 30909

View attachment 30910

As I’ve come to understand it, it is wild stabbing to an extent—but overall, you’re going for target zones. This is assuming you’re a trained attacker, who knows where he’s putting it, and why. You hit one place, and the defender’s natural response is flinch/cover, so you move on the target exposed by that.

This is a static demo, god forbid😩, but yeah.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
As I’ve come to understand it, it is wild stabbing to an extent—but overall, you’re going for target zones. This is assuming you’re a trained attacker, who knows where he’s putting it, and why. You hit one place, and the defender’s natural response is flinch/cover, so you move on the target exposed by that.

This is a static demo, god forbid😩, but yeah.

That is bad fundamental striking though.

Like it's cool and all. But he is directly in front of the guy with no way to stop a counter attack.

And this is common when focusing on the cool things rather than the important things.

OP
G

GreenieMeanie

Black Belt
Reaction score
That is bad fundamental striking though.

Like it's cool and all. But he is directly in front of the guy with no way to stop a counter attack.

And this is common when focusing on the cool things rather than the important things.
It’s a deeeemmoooo. It’s not a sparring session, and it’s not a pig lab.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It’s a deeeemmoooo. It’s not a sparring session, and it’s not a pig lab.

You are focused on the wrong thing. It is a classic RBSD mistake. To be obsessed with the idea of doing damage. Rather than moving through the space safely.

This is possibly your issue with the styles you are doing not conforming to your personal outlook.

If you get interacting with the other guy right. You have far more opportunities for implementing your own personal game.

Here is a demo from lomenchemco.

He doesn't just sit like a lump in front of someone throwing shots.

Last edited:
OP
G

GreenieMeanie

Black Belt
Reaction score
You are focused on the wrong thing. It is a classic RBSD mistake. To be obsessed with the idea of doing damage. Rather than moving through the space safely.

This is possibly your issue with the styles you are doing not conforming to your personal outlook.

If you get interacting with the other guy right. You have far more opportunities for implementing your own personal game.

Here is a demo from lomenchemco.

He doesn't just sit like a lump in front of someone throwing shots.
It’s a little bit difficult to train weapons, to the same extent as MMA. No one wants to be stabbed, bludgeoned, or shot for training purposes. So, you have to train through different mediums. It’s never gonna be exact, without actually intending to kill someone. This is of course a problem in RBSD, because you have to verify the lineage or see it happen for yourself. While I’m not going to get perfect MMA-grade pressure testing, even with someone who’s killed people at bad-breath range, they can at least transfer the knowledge of their experience to me.

I‘ve learned 5 ways of training with a blade or, well, pointy object. 1, using metal trainers to simulate the feel of moving a weapon around the body. 2, Using foam and rubber trainers to feel contact and get an idea of much force it will take to stab, particularly in scenario training and sparring. 4, using organic medium testing, as shown above, to get a feel of forcing a weapon through real tissue and garments. 5, improvising a training dummy in the backyard you can practice on with a proper blade.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
😂Yep you know your stuff. I started out with Lloyd’s, because his material was all I could find, and then I stumbled upon Nigel’s. I prefer Nigel’s.
Too much drama from that side. With having had most if the Europeans leaving Nigel 6 months ago, and now much of the North American students leaving as well, mainly due to Nigel and Instructor Konrad, the evolution has shifted away.

OP
G

GreenieMeanie

Black Belt
Reaction score
Too much drama from that side. With having had most if the Europeans leaving Nigel 6 months ago, and now much of the North American students leaving as well, mainly due to Nigel and Instructor Konrad, the evolution has shifted away.
Is this over the Benkoi guy, trying to start his brand of American Piper? Please tell me there’s a full library download of their stuff somewhere, before it disappears.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Is this over the Benkoi guy, trying to start his brand of American Piper? Please tell me there’s a full library download of their stuff somewhere, before it disappears.
The " Benkoi" guy has never tried to start his brand of American Piper, nor has Piper been of any significant influence on his stuff. In fact, until about 2 weeks ago, he had never trained ANY Piper
I am an instructor under that " Benkoi" guy.
There is now Western Piper Methods

OP
G

GreenieMeanie

Black Belt
Reaction score
The " Benkoi" guy has never tried to start his brand of American Piper, nor has Piper been of any significant influence on his stuff. In fact, until about 2 weeks ago, he had never trained ANY Piper
I am an instructor under that " Benkoi" guy.
There is now Western Piper Methods
I meant no disrespect. I just don’t remember his name. From the little bit I saw, it looked to me like thats what was occurring. It’s not something, I’ve followed closely, just occasionally checking the feed. I believe the Nigel community was accusing him of doing so as well.

For the record, I find him to be rather knowledgeable.

In any case, not my circus.

If there’s any resources you can provide me, I’d be greatful.

Latest Discussions