How safe do you feel in your neighborhood?

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lived in Hawaii for a couple of years I loved it but got bored of driving a couple hours and being back where I started

Now as to the area I live in NOW I feel verry safe as the gangs dont shoot each other and there are not that many people I see that i think would stand a chance in a fight

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lisa said:
With all the discussion of late regarding being prepared for the worst possible case scenario and arming yourself on the steet and in your home, it has led me to ask the question as to how safe you truly feel in your neighborhood.

Although I live in "murder capital of canada" I really honestly feel quite safe in my neighborhood. I live in a small community that, with the exception of my work, I rarely have to leave because I have access to all my needs within 10 minutes of my home. I do lock my doors before I go out because there have been home break ins and such, but I don't "worry" constantly when I leave home that something bad is going to happen. I take precautions with my children, I know where they are and who they are with and I make sure they are being transported safely from point A to point B.

What about you? Is your worry to a paranoia point or do you fell relatively safe or fall somewhere inbetween?

For the most part, I feel safe in my neighborhood. I think that taking precautions, such as making sure doors, windows, etc. are locked, being aware of whats going on around you, etc. are good things to do. Many times though, I get the impression that people think that certain crimes will never happen in their area or to them. Assuming something won't happen isn't good IMO.

Mike

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
i live in a working class neighborhood two blocks south of a few sketchy apartment blocks. i feel very safe here physically, though the neighborhood has pretty high property crime.

Phil Elmore

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Feeling safe is self-delusion. Even in the most crime-free neighborhood, a random crime could find you. This does not mean you should leave your home every day in a flop-sweating state of fear and paranoia; it means you should be be aware no matter where you live. If you "feel safe," you become complacent. If, instead, you don't feel one way or another about it -- if you simply remain aware of your environment and conduct yourself in a responsible manner -- you will be much better off.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lisa said:
With all the discussion of late regarding being prepared for the worst possible case scenario and arming yourself on the steet and in your home, it has led me to ask the question as to how safe you truly feel in your neighborhood.

Although I live in "murder capital of canada" I really honestly feel quite safe in my neighborhood. I live in a small community that, with the exception of my work, I rarely have to leave because I have access to all my needs within 10 minutes of my home. I do lock my doors before I go out because there have been home break ins and such, but I don't "worry" constantly when I leave home that something bad is going to happen. I take precautions with my children, I know where they are and who they are with and I make sure they are being transported safely from point A to point B.

What about you? Is your worry to a paranoia point or do you fell relatively safe or fall somewhere inbetween?

While growing up we never locked our doors.

Until a neighborhood kid broke in and stole from us. Then the whole neighborhood locked their doors.

When I was in High school and College and doing lots of dumb things, including bouncing in a city that rated the worst place to live, the most dangerous place to live in the USA per capita, many of those years, and if not the worst it was in the top numbers. I got in fights, stabbed (* did no report it*), seen a real bad stabbing, hit by cars, and trucks (* I dodged real well, yet it still hurt like there was no tomorrow the next day. *), I had guns brandished, and pulled on me nad pointed at me, sometimes close some times far away. I as even shot at once from a moving vehicle. I lived in a better place than where I worked but my Brother would bring home some real winners, so that was not even a truly safe place. Yet I was always aware of what was going on around me. I would wake up if someone pulled into our driveway. I could recognize those that were crazy or crazier than I was. I survived.

Years later when I was married (* Divorced now *) I lived in a very high crime area. It was a nighborhood tucked in behind one fo the largest local shopping malls. Nothing happend in that neighborhood, until I started calling the police to get the Ex to be's Bofriend out of my house and garage at 11:00 PM at night.

Now, I am in a nice neighborhood as well. Good mix ethnically, and the only problem seems to occur in the first week in August when kids either egg house or tag Mail boxes with paint.

The worse was the loss of innocence when I was a kid and we had to lock our doors.

Since then safety has been an issue of awareness.

Drag'n

Green Belt
Reaction score
I live in Japan so I feel so safe its rediculous! I think I'M probably the most dangerous person in my neighbourhood.lol.
There has been a rise in violent crime lately, but its always twisted wakos preying on children or women. Or the occassional disgruntled housewife doing in her male shouvenist husband for the insurance money.
Its soo safe, that self defence really isnt a big issue in my training anymore. I think thats why many Japanese martial arts have become so sport oriented. Self defence just isnt that necessary for the average guy.
I notice this difference when reading posts from many western MArtists, because everyone is so into "street defence". I think your location can have a big influence on your reasons for training.
I like to keep a realistic edge to my training ,but for me to focus totally on street defence would suggest a severe case of paranoia.But If I lived in a rough neighbourhood in the states, I'm sure my attitude would be very different.

bobster_ice

Black Belt
Reaction score
I feel really safe in my neighborhood, almost too safe...It is a very small and quiet neighborhood were everybody knows each other.

I used to live in a really rough neighborhood, were people were getting shot, beat up and their houses broken into, my dad got two of his cars stolen so my parents decided to move away from the place.

Since we have lived here there has been no trouble at all, well except for some loud music and house parties, other than that the place is sweet.

Bobby

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just have to say I just moved back to Northern Maine after being gone 2 years and the little town (think population WAY under 600) I live in has such a low crime rate that I feel very safe. Moved back to the same neighborhood where we lived before and when we moved out we had to change all the locks on the doors because the real estate people wanted the keys to the house and neither my wife or I could find them. That is NOT uncommon for this area and one of the reasons we came back. It still has that old-fashioned small town attitude where everybody looks out for everybody else and goes out of their way to help each other. Gotta love that it still exists in this day-and-age.

Don't get me wrong, now that we spent the $ for new locks (Real Estate people stunk and didn't sell the house) we actually use them most of the time :idea:.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
I feel relatively safe where I live- I basically live in the middle of nowhere. The only thing that is bothering is that Mexican gang that's spreading here in the DC area/ surrounding areas.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
Still Learning, may I ask which island you live on?

My Father-in-Law lives in Pahoa on the Big Island - poor area, but he loves it there, built his own shack. Also owns an apartment on Oahu.

Haven't been to Maui, but spent the best part of my honeymoon on Kauaii - is the flooding ebbing yet?

Anyway, we were visiting my father in law on Hawaii and we all went to a warm springs park where our rental car was broken in to. So were about 10 other cars ... there was a LOOOOONG line at the police department counter that day. About a year ago, he was relaxing in a lawn chair at the SAME PARK when he was stabbed in an attempted mugging. Luckily, he carries a walking stick with him, sometimes a pipe for a stick (shudder) ... well, he sustained some permanent damage from the knife attack ... but not likely as much as his attacker did from the pipe to the head.

Crime is everywhere, I think. Different kinds in different areas, sometimes ....

I live on the Big Island in Waikoloa. opposite side of the island from Pahoa....Aloha

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I live in a nice area, dont have many complaints, I dont really fear where I live, I lock my doors, but that is about it.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Safe enough to walk around late at night... but my awareness level doesn't vary or lessen. Sometimes the house is unlocked throughout the night but it's no biggie around here. Still... woe be to them that try to enter and I find them. ... heh heh

Attachments

• $184113CHJg_w.jpg
    $184113CHJg_w.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 112

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Jonathan Randall said:
Well, after reading Bob's thread about Registered Sex Offenders in Your Area and following the links, I feel much less safe:

http://martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32504

Well that's understandable... if you have children of your own or are the type that offenders go for...
But remember you're only as safe as your awareness and training make you. If you know there are dangerous people about then you make sure your house/car doors are always locked, your children are never left alone or unsupervised, you are in well lighted areas around your house... motion detector-lights to twart any possible uninvited incursion to your property at night and so on and so on.
You may have an advantage over your average neighbor by having a CWP or martial art training that prepares you for unexpected attacks and all that.
Being more aware on a casual level (not looking over your shoulder paranoia... that marks you like a wounded gazelle marks to a hungry lion), just knowing who's there and being simply smart.
Either that or move out of that neighborhood and to a place with a lower crime rate, if that's possible.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
I agree! But, unfortunately I don't think it is possible to escape from it. Just watching the news you constantly hear about atrrocities going on in small towns. The people are always shocked. They say they moved there to escape from that stuff, or we know everyone, never thought they'd do that etc..

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hand Sword said:
I agree! But, unfortunately I don't think it is possible to escape from it. Just watching the news you constantly hear about atrrocities going on in small towns. The people are always shocked. They say they moved there to escape from that stuff, or we know everyone, never thought they'd do that etc..
Yes, no way to escape it entirely... but ALWAYS ways to defend against it... mostly.

Eternal Beginner

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I feel extraordinarily safe in my community. We haven't had a "stranger" murder as long as I have been alive. In fact the only murder that occured in our community within recent memory was a domestic dispute (and that was 20 years ago).

We live outside the city in a nice rural area with my nearest neighbours being a City of Winnipeg police officer and a member of the RCMP on the other side:). We also have large dogs of our own and neighbours have similar creatures roaming. Even though Winnipeg (we are only 25 min from downtown) has a high rate of murders the fear factor is somewhat mitigated to "ordinary" people because they are usually commited in closed groups or alcohol induced circumstances...which means if you weren't at the party you aren't likely to be the one that is knifed.

My sister is a home care nurse and frequents the worst areas of the city in the evenings...she has never been threatened or intimidated. She says it is very easy to stay safe hear as long as you are wise and don't go courting any sort of confrontation.

Latest Discussions