Everyone you meet is fighting a battle...

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Maybe not, but I have yet to meet “one of those guys.”
It is possible. Are you saying all the vets you know are preparing for battle? Or are you saying only a few of the vets you know are preparing for battle? You gave me the impression you live in an area that has a high percentage of people who are prepping for combat. Is this a town full of mercenaries?

I’m just trying to figure out what you mean here.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It is possible. Are you saying all the vets you know are preparing for battle? Or are you saying only a few of the vets you know are preparing for battle? You gave me the impression you live in an area that has a high percentage of people who are prepping for combat. Is this a town full of mercenaries?

I’m just trying to figure out what you mean here.
According to my VA therapist, most veterans she meets have a 'normal' heightened sense of situational awareness. I've got 30 security cameras around the perimeter of my house - more or less totally normal. Other people find it 'weird'. Not veterans.

I'm not prepping for battle. I just notice things, and stuff triggers me. People who find it amusing to make very loud noises near me at work have discovered that I don't react in ways that are considered humorous. Not something I can control.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
According to my VA therapist, most veterans she meets have a 'normal' heightened sense of situational awareness. I've got 30 security cameras around the perimeter of my house - more or less totally normal. Other people find it 'weird'. Not veterans.

I'm not prepping for battle. I just notice things, and stuff triggers me. People who find it amusing to make very loud noises near me at work have discovered that I don't react in ways that are considered humorous. Not something I can control.
Understood. Not quite what I’m talking about. I’ll try to explain. Not sure if I can.

There is stuff we learned in the military that we keep with us, habits and behaviors and experiences.

Some of those things are constructive and helpful. Some are neutral. And some of that is baggage.

There is a subtle but important difference between what you describe above and “preparing for battle”.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Understood. Not quite what I’m talking about. I’ll try to explain. Not sure if I can.

There is stuff we learned in the military that we keep with us, habits and behaviors and experiences.

Some of those things are constructive and helpful. Some are neutral. And some of that is baggage.

There is a subtle but important difference between what you describe above and “preparing for battle”.
You mean this one?

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”— James Mattis

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Working as a cop teaches you to have patience with a-holes. They might just be having a really bad day.

It also teaches you that if you meet a-holes all day long, you’re the a-hole.

isshinryuronin

Senior Master
Reaction score
"If you seek peace, be prepared for war." IMO, this describes the usefulness of MA as good as any simple phrase.

1. If the opponent senses you are prepared, physically and mentally, he is less apt to attack.
2. If you have confidence in your martial abilities, you're less apt to feel the need to prove yourself and are centered enough to see other alternatives.

This is true for individuals as well as nation states as can easily be seen from current events. Being strong is rarely disadvantageous.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
"If you seek peace, be prepared for war." IMO, this describes the usefulness of MA as good as any simple phrase.

1. If the opponent senses you are prepared, physically and mentally, he is less apt to attack.
2. If you have confidence in your martial abilities, you're less apt to feel the need to prove yourself and are centered enough to see other alternatives.

This is true for individuals as well as nation states as can easily be seen from current events. Being strong is rarely disadvantageous.
I’m not so sure about this one. I mean, maybe if not taken to an extreme. There is room to reject the fundamental idea that opponents are lurking.

My own opinion is that the actual, fundamental usefulness of MA is that it’s generally a pretty good workout. Beyond that, it get silly pretty fast.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Being strong is rarely disadvantageous.

the actual, fundamental usefulness of MA is that it’s generally a pretty good workout. Beyond that, it get silly pretty fast.
One guy said he would kill me next time we met. I started to train MA very hard. One day we met, I walked to him and said, "Let's take care this once for all today." He said, "Look at how strong you are and how weak I am. How can you take advantage on me?" Since that day, he tried to run away from me for the rest of his life.

If I didn't train MA, I probably won't have the courage to walk to him that day (He was a gang member, and I was not). If I was not in good shape, he probably won't say what he had said. He might fight me that day. My self-confidence and my good body shape scared him that day.

Last edited:

isshinryuronin

Senior Master
Reaction score
There is room to reject the fundamental idea that opponents are lurking.
Although I didn't allude to this at all in my post, I've never seen or heard of a place where this is not true. You may never come across one if you are lucky, but they're around. To believe otherwise I think is naive. When you walk the streets at night, do you not ever employ situational awareness?

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Although I didn't allude to this at all in my post, I've never seen or heard of a place where this is not true. You may never come across one if you are lucky, but they're around. To believe otherwise I think is naive. When you walk the streets at night, do you not ever employ situational awareness?
I think we tend to exaggerate the risk assault in our everyday lives. Yes, that risk increases if you go out clubbing and there are drunken types around you so don’t. Train instead! However it’s still a good idea to maintain ‘situational awareness’ (zanshin) if only to keep one’s basal ganglia well-exercised! Don’t walk around with music blaring in your ears, too.

Badhabits

Orange Belt
Reaction score

I really, really like this way of looking at things. I've known more people apt to start $hit due to their own insecurities and fragile ego than anything else. The demeanor above is like a counter action to those types of people.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Of course I do. But I don’t walk around in a constant state of heightened awareness. I would say it’s quite contextual. In fact, I would just call it being mindful. Sort of like how you need to pay attention when you’re chopping onions with a sharp knife or using a table saw.

I guess my question to you is, are you always on alert for potential “opponents”? In my opinion, that would be like walking around constantly worried about being attacked by a shark. There may be times when you want to be mindful of that. But it’s not all the time.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I really, really like this way of looking at things. I've known more people apt to start $hit due to their own insecurities and fragile ego than anything else. The demeanor above is like a counter action to those types of people.

I’ve had some crazy things happen. Received bomb threats, had people threaten me physically, actually had a guy try to attack me with a stapler one time. It’s sadly pretty common for members of the public to act completely bonkers sometimes.

There are red flags, and of course I am mindful of those. But I’d say one of the main red flags is people who seem to be on high alert. I will definitely pay attention to that.

But as I said previously, it is situational. I am not looking for “opponents” or preparing each day for battle. That, IMO, is taking things to an unhealthy extreme. Folks who are preparing for war in the same way a nation state might,,, that isn’t what I’m talking about above. That’s not a way I’d want to go through life, and I wouldn’t wish it on others.

Bottom line, there are some very dangerous places in the world. I don’t happen to live in one of them. Around here, the people to be cautious around are addicts and people who are (for whatever reason) in a constant state of agitation.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Since we're getting all philosophical and stuff, I'll mention again that I don't train for self-defense; at least not anymore. I train for other reasons, most of which I can't truly define. It's not for enlightenment, but it's probably related to that. Something about family, and familiarity, and habit. Maybe some endorphins in there. Passing on self-defense skills to children who most need it. Blah blah blah. I just like it.

But I don't expect to get into any fights, nor to need to defend myself. I'm old, busted, and don't go where stupid or drunk people like to congregate for the most part. I realize that not everyone has that luxury. I am quite fortunate in that regard.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Since we're getting all philosophical and stuff, I'll mention again that I don't train for self-defense; at least not anymore. I train for other reasons, most of which I can't truly define. It's not for enlightenment, but it's probably related to that. Something about family, and familiarity, and habit. Maybe some endorphins in there. Passing on self-defense skills to children who most need it. Blah blah blah. I just like it.

But I don't expect to get into any fights, nor to need to defend myself. I'm old, busted, and don't go where stupid or drunk people like to congregate for the most part. I realize that not everyone has that luxury. I am quite fortunate in that regard.
You train for enjoyment.

isshinryuronin

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don’t walk around in a constant state of heightened awareness. I would say it’s quite contextual. In fact, I would just call it being mindful.
"Mindfulness" is a good description, like when driving. I'm relaxed while driving, but still aware of what's going on up ahead or if a kid's running towards the curb. Yes, situational context will determine the level of one's awareness, but one must be aware enough to determine such things.

This isn't being paranoid. One has to have some respect for the unknown and potential dangers and not walk around like it's the world's responsibility to keep you safe. It's our job to look before crossing a street and take a wide berth around a blind corner. Common sense for those will ANY survival instinct or training, but there are many who lack even this.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
"Mindfulness" is a good description, like when driving. I'm relaxed while driving, but still aware of what's going on up ahead or if a kid's running towards the curb. Yes, situational context will determine the level of one's awareness, but one must be aware enough to determine such things.

This isn't being paranoid. One has to have some respect for the unknown and potential dangers and not walk around like it's the world's responsibility to keep you safe. It's our job to look before crossing a street and take a wide berth around a blind corner. Common sense for those will ANY survival instinct or training, but there are many who lack even this.
If we are talking about mindfulness, I’m totally in agreement. Here is the thing. Terms like “situational awareness” are right up there with “tactical”, “force multiplier” and “target hardening”. I realize these terms mean something to some people, and some find them useful. But It implies to me some kind of pseudo militarized mindset that I don’t think is helpful for most people.

I’m also specifically reacting to the use of terms that have come up: enemy, opponent, battle, war.

So, if we are talking about being mindful and paying appropriate attention in varying contexts, great. I’m right there. If we are talking about trying to assume a tactical mindset, calculating escape routes and evaluating potential opponents, I am not on board.

Last edited:
OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If we are talking about mindfulness, I’m totally in agreement. Here is the thing. Terms like “situational awareness” are right up there with “tactical”, “force multiplier” and “target hardening”. I realize these terms mean something to some people, and some find them useful. But It implies to me some kind of pseudo militarized mindset that I don’t think is helpful for most people.

I’m also specifically reacting to the use of terms that have come up: enemy, opponent, battle, war.

So, if we are talking about being mindful and paying appropriate attention in varying contexts, great. I’m right there. If we are talking about trying to assume a tactical mindset, calculating escape routes and evaluating potential opponents, I am not on board.
My dad called it keeping your head on a swivel.

Latest Discussions