DO you test your new clothes, boots and wearables to match your martial art style?

beau_safken

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm talking when you see a nice pair of boots...What is your first thought?
1) Look nice
2) Uhhhh Shiny
3) I wonder if I can kick properly in those...

For me its mostly 3 but I have been known to go with #2 at times.

Another one that I have told on this forum before.

Was finding out if some pants would fit in the dressing room like a normal person....however. Went to do a side kick to test if they would take the stress of a kick and the crotch split all the way down the middle to the thigh. I promptly found a different pair of pants and brought the now busted pair of pants to the counter with me. The little girl looks at them and was just confused. I told her that they didn't work out.

I'm sure we have ALL been guilty of this in the past...Lets hear your story.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I buy what is pleaseing to my ey or what i must have for a special ocassion, I like loose clothing so most of what i buy I can move in

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, So far the pants I wear allows me to walk away....running is the next test? .....for shoes if it fits the feet? ....it will fit your? .....Aloha

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I prefer relaxed fit jeans / khakis, and generally wear the shirt size slightly larger, simply for comfort. This gives me a full range of movement, and I have no problems throwing head high kicks (just as a silly example).

The clothes I wear are also well-suited for the lawful concealed carry of my armaments as well.

L

loanbanker

I've done it. When picking out a pair of pants I look for the flexability needed to execute kicks properly. Shoes often are judged to be to heavy for proper kicking. In fact I don't wear sandles at all because of the horrible support if I needed it. And I love sandles!

When going out for a night on the town I pick my jacket based on how well it can handle a knife attack (usually I end up taking the leather).

paranoia? perhaps.

In the end, im comfortable not just physically but mentally as well. For me thats what matters.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
I buy pants with an eye towards range of motion. Usually look for pants with a fairly loose fit since that gives you more play. I usually don't need to kick in them to know how they'll hold up. I tend to assume that they'll most likely rip eventually vs kicking, unless they have some kinda lycra blend. (Stretch jeans are nearly indestructable in that respect.)

hemi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
This is a funny topic; I wore wranglers since way before they became popular at least in East TX anyway. To this day when I am working around the house or at the ranch I wear them because they hold up real well. But they also do not allow much range of motion.( But some of that is my fault) I am not built to wear the 13MWZ Regular fit so I am doomed to wear 936 DEN slim fit. I could not throw a round house or a side kick for crap in my wranglers. I also have been wearing Justin work boots since I was a kid. They hold up, look decent, and their comfortable. But again not real particle for throwing fast kicks, as of late I have switched to Levi 512’s for jeans and Nike Shocks for running around in. The jeans give me good range of motion and the shocks are so much lighter. I didn’t realize anyone else paid that much attention to how compatible the stuff you wear is to martial arts. This is the way I see it. Why spend all this time, money and effort to learn self defense then not be able to use it because of my clothes. It’s like carrying a 9mm pistol with no ammo.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Always wear the right ATTITUDE! ....then even with no clothes you can still win?

Now if you need clothes? ...we recommend the colorful Aloha shirts.....comfort in style? ...great for going to Luau's (Hawaiian feast). ....Aloha

Nanalo74

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I never wear anything I can't fight in.

I actually got that concept from an old comic book adaptation of Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. If anyone remembers the movie, the opening scene hs Indy in a white tux on his way to meet with Chinese mobsters. As he's walking thru the nightclub, the caption reads "No one notices the tuxedo cut slightly looser than fashion dictates in order to allow for rapid movement." I've been wearing "fightin' clothes" ever since.

Vic
www.combatartsusa.com

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
My pant size, 32-32. The size I buy, 34-34. and always straight legged, relax fit. That gives me perfect range of motion, and just in case, I do a quick horse stance, and pull my knee to my chest, if I cann't do those, I don't buy it. My shirt is the right size, or maybe a little bigger. The only jewlery I wear is a celtic cross. I always wear a belt and tennis shoes that are comfortable. And I always make sure that I can roll my anckel in just the right way to pull off a Cuong nhu side kick, we hit with the knive edge of the heel.

Sweet Brighit Bless your Blade,

John

RoninPimp

Brown Belt
Reaction score
You mean the Chuck Norris kicking jeans? I have 7 of them. One for each day of the week!

OP
beau_safken

beau_safken

Black Belt
Reaction score
RoninPimp said:
You mean the Chuck Norris kicking jeans? I have 7 of them. One for each day of the week!

How are those for comfort anyway? Any binding in the crotch or any issues like that?

Latest Discussions