How old were you when you first started Martial Arts?

How old were you when you started Martial Arts?

• 10 years old or under

Votes: 107 23.8%
  • 11 years old to 15

Votes: 114 25.4%
  • 16 years old to 19

Votes: 78 17.4%
  • 20 years old to 29

Votes: 74 16.5%
  • 30 years old to 39

Votes: 54 12.0%
  • 40 years old to 49

Votes: 29 6.5%
  • 50 years old to 59

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 60 years old and up

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Q

Quick Sand

I was 15 when I started Judokai Kan Ju Jutsu but I only stayed at it for 2 years.

Then I started American Kang Duk Won Tae Kwon Do and age 20 and have been doing that for about a year and a half. I'd like to stick with it but there's a good chance I'll have to move at the end of next year when I graduate, so I'll probably have to start something else. :( We'll see.

L

lonekimono

i'll tell you i'm all right now but last week i was in rough shape,i mean i don't get a break with anything, i brought some QUICK SAND
and the deal fell through:mad: thats the story of my life no respect, i don't get no respect at all.

when i saw your name thats what came to mine
but anyway HAPPY EASTER.

YOURS IN KENPO

PS OH BY THE WAY TRY TO FINE THE ART THAT YOU CAN MOVE INTO.:asian:

Q

Quick Sand

Happy Easter to you too Lonekimono. :)

i'll tell you i'm all right now but last week i was in rough shape,i mean i don't get a break with anything, i brought some QUICK SAND and the deal fell through thats the story of my life no respect, i don't get no respect at all.

What's that from? Just curious.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by Quick Sand
What's that from? Just curious.

One of "Rodney Dangerfields" many lines......

Huh, I don't know now but.... When Lonekimono was a child ..... they had to hang a porkchop around his neck to make the dog play with him.... rough life I tell ya..........

:rofl:

L

lonekimono

HEY Dennis you are wrong that 's how i got my frist girlfriend,
you know what they say PORK THE OTHER WHITE MEAT:D
OR IS THAT MEET? HAPPY EASTER:cool:

YOURS IN KENPO
sub L #4 please without onions

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I was 23 when I started Shotokan, but I was in Med school and school, family and career overwhelmed me. I started again in Kenpo at age 40 and have had a fabulous time. However my younger sons started Kenpo at 9 and 5 respectively and as a result they spontaneously move and respond in ways that I can only dream of.

G

gman

I can't believe how young most people are when they get their start. I started American Kenpo at 33. I would have figured most to be in the 20's. Most seem to be pre or early teen. WOW I feel old.

I

IsshinryuKarateGirl

I started in Isshinryu Karate when I was 12. I am now 13, close to 14, but I plan on keeping up in the Martial Arts for a long time!

Mithios

Green Belt
Reaction score
Started at ripe old age of 13 ! And have been loving it ever sense. It will be 24 year's in the martial art's this january. Geez i feel old !!

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I started at 19 in college with American Kenpo. When I got married, it was off/on for a while then I started back again seriously last year at 36.

- Ceicei

A

Astra

Did Judo for half a year when I was about 10 or 11, but then I stopped. Started with MAs again as a 14-year old and have been doing it since :)

L

LadyDragon

I had always wanted to do MA's since i was a lttle girl, but my father said that wasn't a thing for little girls. So just before my 21st birthday, when I had means of my own I began training. I love every minute of it and its now been six years that I've been training.

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I started American (Parker's) Kenpo karate on the week I turned 13 years old......been doing it ever since!!

:asian: :karate:

N

Ninway J

Started at 18 years old here. I was interested in MA since I remember watching "Black Belt Theater" on television, probably like 10 years old or something. Anyone else remember "Black Belt Theater?":asian: :D

My sensei said that before your early-teen years, you are never mature enough to truly practice MA. Well, at least what I trained in. Before then it's all child's-play.

T

TerryC

Started Kempo at the age of 27. It was basically the first physical activity I had ever really enjoyed, and I also credit my love for the martial arts with helping me to quit a smoking habit I'd had since about 9 years old. I seldom missed a daily workout until 1998 when I broke my back. I was off for 2 years with that, but am now back to daily kata practice, stretching, and light bag work. Sparring is forever finished for me.

I'm 55 now.

T

TonyM.

Started training in Sinawali at 10 with my dad, Kung Fu at 13 with my boss. Still practice Kung Fu at 51.
Terry. I broke my back in two places and misaligned my spine in seven places nine years ago. Good activator method chiropractic treatment, physical therapy, Hatha Yoga and Chi Gong had me back practicing in five and a half months. I occasionally spar. No prob. (Exept finding training partners in this part of the woods.)

T

TerryC

TonyM. said:
Started training in Sinawali at 10 with my dad, Kung Fu at 13 with my boss. Still practice Kung Fu at 51.
Terry. I broke my back in two places and misaligned my spine in seven places nine years ago. Good activator method chiropractic treatment, physical therapy, Hatha Yoga and Chi Gong had me back practicing in five and a half months. I occasionally spar. No prob. (Exept finding training partners in this part of the woods.)

Tony, What happened to me was that I had done some groundwork with another blackbelt the night before, noticed some slight back pain, but then while running the next morning collapsed three vertebre. Was diagnosed with osteoporosis. I've gone thru PT, but got hooked on pain killers for three years too. The Dr. cleared me to do anything I want now as long as I do it very slowly first and it feels alright, with the exception of weight training. I'll never forget the pain I had, and I'm just gunshy I guess of breaking my back again. Plus, like you, there are very few partners to spar with these days around here. Few adults in this area care about martial arts.....everybody has a "carry permit" as they are easy to get! I do lots of slow stretching every day, and have probably 90% of my flexibility back. I just keep working on it.

T

TonyM.

I know what you mean about being gunshy Terry. I don't think I ever felt as physically helpless as when I broke my back. I had help from a lincoln town car hitting me at 50 mph at a stoplight. My training officer in corrections used to say that in the battle between flesh and steel, steel always wins. On the plus side, being injured reinforced doing all physical activities as mechanically correct as possible to avoid any further injury. I worked with my chiropractor when I started training again so that he could keep me alligned as I trained and was healing. Hopefully for you a little magnesium, calcium and zinc supplimentation will help with the osteoporosis. Thanks for the lesson about the pain killers. I don't know why, but I chose not to take anything, OTC or prescription. Everyone thought I was crazy because I was in so much pain I didn't sleep for the first twenty four days and wouldn't take anything. I suppose I figured if I didn't feel pain I would mess up and overdo therapy.
Be well
Your friend Tony

Latest Discussions