How old were you when you first started Martial Arts?

How old were you when you started Martial Arts?

• 10 years old or under

Votes: 107 23.8%
  • 11 years old to 15

Votes: 114 25.4%
  • 16 years old to 19

Votes: 78 17.4%
  • 20 years old to 29

Votes: 74 16.5%
  • 30 years old to 39

Votes: 54 12.0%
  • 40 years old to 49

Votes: 29 6.5%
  • 50 years old to 59

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 60 years old and up

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheArtofDave

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I was about 7 years old when I started, and I started out in Shotokan. But I've also been around tkd, and korean martial arts. So what I think I may do is just make a return to Shotokan, and then take up Korean Martial arts. I did quit, cause I lacked confidence at the time when I was a kid but the shotokan school worked really well with me. I think I'll go back and finish it first because it was the first art around here I was really interested in.

The shotokan dojo here is a lot closer than the other place but I still have my gi for the korean martial arts.

I am going to school for HVAC also with night classes. Shame that no where here has day classes. Oh well I'll do it after I graduate in July. I'll then have the money to do them both.

tko4u

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Regrettably, I was 18 when I started. I feel like I waited too long. I wish (like everyone else) I wouldve started earlier.

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I started at 5, so it's difficult to remember a time before Martial Arts.

Mimir

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I started when I was 1 month from being 39. Best decision I have made in a long, long, long time.

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I began in a non-profit traditional karate school of the chito-ryu style. After 6 years I left that school and began training under Murray Matthews in jiu jitsu, kickboxing and kyokushin for the next four years. I was irresponsible in high school and eventually I sacrificed my martial arts endeavors for girling, smoking and genarally digging myself a hole. It took me another three years before I quit smoking, kept a job for more than a year and got back into the martial arts, steadily at first, then sporadically as time went on. I trained at home the whole while as a force of habit but rarely to the extent I trained in class. I think I may have found a savate school though. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
I started Taekwon-Do at 10 and liked it so much I quit about 5 or 6 months later! I started training seriously again - and under the same instructors - when I was 15 in 1986. Ahhh, the good old days! Now I'm 37 and getting ready to test next weekend for 5th dan (and boy do I suck!).

I've been with the same instructors for 22 years now and, God willing, will be with them for another 22 years. My wife finds it necessary to point out every once in a while that they really are not my parents, but I just ignore her when she gets like that ;)

Pax,

Chris

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Started a couple months before turning 16, I've been in karate for about 4 1/2. Yrs

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I was 17 when I started the first time and 38 when I started the second time.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I started at 17. I'm 50 now. Eventually I'm hoping to actually get good at this.

Started at 19, I'm 63 now. I hear ya, Tony, I'm waiting, too, been faking it forever, but we can always hope. :)

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
So far with the results, most people started when they were in the age range of 11-15 followed closely by people who started when they were 10 and under. Technically you could say I started at the 10 and under age range since that was when I started with some Judo but I didn't start training in my primary style of Karate which is very different from Judo until I was 12 so I marked off 11-15 as the age range in which I started. Anyway, I wonder how much of a difference it makes if you start training before you can take your first step vs starting around the age of 12.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I started the first time in the under-10 category and trained into my 20's. I stopped training and then restarted in the 40-49 category.